PDA

View Full Version : Accessories

CelticBombshell
04-07-2003, 12:23 PM
OKay ladies here are the things I am planning on haveing to go along with my garb:

Basket w/lid
parosol
wide brimmed straw hat
belt
tankard
and pouch

is there anythign you would reccommend in additon to these.

mel

emalia
04-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Basket with Lid- WalMart, KMart, Jo-Anne's or if you know of a basket Vendor that will be onsite

Parasol- If you want Paper (Just for Shade) Abby... If you want something to keep you dry- Chivalry Sports has WaterProofed Canvas Parasols

Straw hat-WalMart!

Belt- Target or Wal-Mart usually has some decent leather belts, other than that Potted Fox or Bald Mountain on Site

Tankard- I LOVE my Bald Mountain Plastic insert Mug.. I can dishWasher it, I can had HOT STUFF!, and I can take the insert out and use the bottom as a storage compartment..

Pouch- It all depends on what you are looking for... Potted Fox, Pyramid Leather, VIP Leather, Cappricorn Cutlery, Bald Mountain, and Crimson Gypsy LeatherWorks all have ouches.. Just depends on Size and Style. This is something I would pick up opening morning...

I am guessing you have good shoes???

eating dagger if you are on Cast or Work there..

A couple bowls to eat out of

Bodice Chiller

Handkercheif

Cloak

CelticBombshell
04-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Basket with Lid- WalMart, KMart, Jo-Anne's or if you know of a basket Vendor that will be onsite

Found one that I like at grabplus.com but am still comparing prices.

Parasol- If you want Paper (Just for Shade) Abby... If you want something to keep you dry- Chivalry Sports has WaterProofed Canvas Parasols

Just ordered one from Abby

I am guessing you have good shoes???

Still looking, any suggestion?

Belt- Target or Wal-Mart usually has some decent leather belts, other than that Potted Fox or Bald Mountain on Site. Pouch- It all depends on what you are looking for... Potted Fox, Pyramid Leather, VIP Leather, Cappricorn Cutlery, Bald Mountain, and Crimson Gypsy LeatherWorks all have ouches.. Just depends on Size and Style. This is something I would pick up opening morning...

Was planning on getting these from potted fox

Bodice Chiller

What exactly is a bodice chiller?

Thanks for your help
Mel

emalia
04-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Shoes.. If it is a nice site, not a lot of Mulch and yuckie stuff.. I LOVE my dream shoes!!!! I have the Mary Janes and the Nickels.. I love the Pillows even more though!

A bodice chiller is a nifty little device that you fill with ice that sits on the breast bone and cools your blood as it passes obver that area. mine is made of glass from Haller Glass.

Nevada
04-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Bodice chiller is a wonderful tube that you fill with ice and stick down your bodice to keep you cool..added benefit is that as ice melts you can sip the water .....I am heading out sandal shopping this weekend for shoes until I can afford a pair of handmade shoes...

Kiza
04-07-2003, 01:28 PM
If you don't mind spending a little more for shoes than you would for Wal-Mart cheapies, I second the Dreamshoes suggestion! I bought a pair of Nickles the first day I ever went to faire and loved them so much that I went back for a second pair later that season. I can walk over gravel at TRF and never even realize that I've left the grass - they're that comfortable. And even with as badly as I abuse my shoes, mine are three years old and look brand new. (Well, less the lace that the cat chewed off, but that's a little outside of normal wear. And all you have to do is ask for replacement laces.) I want to say that I paid about $50 for mine, but they always seem to run good sales on the website.

If you don't want to spend that much - just pick up a pair of comfy sandals. The Mary Jane style is always a good one too, but anything simple will work. Just make sure they're something you can walk in all day without getting blisters.

Kiza

Mermaid
04-07-2003, 02:35 PM
I would say don't get too carried away with your accessories at first--my very first faire (ahem, some time ago<G>) I had a cloth pouch I made to match my skirt (also made by me), a belt and a straw hat. Along the way, I have picked up multiple pouches, feathers, tankards, etc etc--to the point that I can only wear a portion of my belt junk! Each piece brings a smile and a memory tho--of the faire I bought it, the people I was with, or the good looking rogue who presented it to me! Most of the fun is in the collecting..........

Mermaid

Bean
04-07-2003, 02:43 PM
I second the bodice chiller!! I got one last year at Michigan and showed it all over Pittsburgh. It also works when you want to have a bit of bawdy fun, too..... bodice shots anyone?

I have a pouch, mug, bells, and my kilt check stick hanging off my belt. I did acquire a couple of bodice daggers last fall that I am waiting to display, although I may lace one into my boot. BTW, if you need boots for the muddy season, I recommend Son of Sandlar. A bit pricey, but mucho comfortable.

I am looking to add to the list of "stuff" this year.... I want a set of leather manacles with sheepskin lining, and I think I need a titmouse for some variety. I saw the coolest bodice buddy at PARF, it was a pewter dragon head that sat with it's head resting on the front of your bodice, peeking out from the girls.... wish it hadn't been $90!!

I think that some sort of hat is in order for this year, too. I have a feather garland I wear, but I started branching out with my color combinations so it won't match everything now. My site is over half wooded so I don't know for sure on the hat.

Okay, time to step away from the caffeine....rambling waaayyy too much!
Betsy

CelticBombshell
04-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Hwere can I find a bodice chiller, can you amke one out of a test tube and a cork?

Mel

Mairi the Herbwench
04-07-2003, 04:01 PM
SUN SCREEN!!! and bug spray, if you live in a buggy area. But sunscreen is a must. Also - lip stuff of your choice, kleenex, pen/pencil and paper, wet wipes, fan...

Magpie
04-07-2003, 04:03 PM
sunscreen and fans are *definitely* a must!!! (remember to reapply sunscreen after you get rained on... I didn't at NCRF and ended up with sunburn :()

Ariyana Dragonwagon
04-07-2003, 05:29 PM
I echo everything my fellow wenches have said..

But have a few questions of my own....

where can we get bodice daggers??????

and bodice chillers do we have sources for those as yet?? my searches never turn up anything....

{{HUGS}}

Nevada
04-07-2003, 06:32 PM
I am definitely carrying a basket this year....figure it will fit into my persona of practical wench...I mean even my mundance self gets kidded for my bottomless bag of stuff

Bean
04-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Ariyana:
I think if you go to the old forum archives there is a thread there about bodice chillers with different glass blowers that make them. I got mine from a FABOO glassblower in Michigan; made the thing right before my eyes per my instructions!!! We gave them a ton of business, and I plan on getting another one this season.

My bodice dagger is a short knife with sheath (maybe 8 inches overall) and I got it at PARF pirate ship. I have seen others that are very short, a couple of inches at best. You can sometimes find them on ebay, there is a seller that always has daggers, swords, etc for sale. I got mine cheap, $20 for 2.

Hope this helps out!

Betsy

Kiza
04-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Don't forget that non-Faire places sometime have cool Faire stuff, too. My mom found my bodice dagger at an herb-type shop, of all places - and paid a ton less than I was prepared to spend on-site for one. (And it's awesome. It was actually a set - a bodice sized dagger with a little one just the right size for eating - in a duel sheath.) Try checking out the New Age / metaphysical / "phrase of choice" shops in your area.

Kiza

Beatriz
04-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Hwere can I find a bodice chiller, can you amke one out of a test tube and a cork?

No. Nope. No. Do NOT try this at fair.

The glass on bodice chillers is MUCH thicker, heavier than the average test tube. This is going to be snuggly in your cleavage--you don't want to take a chance with it cracking or breaking!

She who has lost/broken a whole collection of bodice chillers in one season.

Mermaid
04-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Old Navy has some nice floppy brimmed straw hats for $12.50

Mermaid

Aoife (pronounced E-fah)
04-10-2003, 02:06 AM
Please ladies, where can I find a bodice chiller?? So far I haven't been able to find out anything about them online. Does anyone have a website for one?? Any help will be most welcome.

Ysobelle
04-10-2003, 04:46 AM
Please ladies, where can I find a bodice chiller?? So far I haven't been able to find out anything about them online. Does anyone have a website for one?? Any help will be most welcome.

Abelman Glass was making them, I think-- big art glass studio in California. This astonishes me, cos I remember selling their work in the store where I used to work, and...well, bodice chillers just...doesn't seem to fit them. We had a vase of theirs in layered hot glass that was $1800. Or was the bodice-chiller the brother, Stuart Abelman? Anyway, find a member of Local 42, like O'Cin, and ask her where she got hers-- she has a naughty one. Also, if you have a glassblower at your faire, ask him or her-- they sell like hotcakes, so the artisan stands to make a pretty penny. That's how we got them at PARF before Alan and Annie left.

Bonnie
04-10-2003, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I bought one at PARF...lovely seagreen creation. Of course, that was also where I LOST my blue and white swirled one. Bought one at BARF last month, Gideon dropped it in the parking lot. It DIDN'T BREAK!!! :):):)

those things are dowright HARDY when they're blown right. MY. That was an interesting comment, now wasn't it? :haloslip:

CelticBombshell
04-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Aoife wrote:

Abelman Glass was making them, I think-- big art glass studio in California.

THe website of ableman is artoffire.com, you have to call the 800 # to get one, Lady Gaea is planning on making some pottery onesafter stockwood, and madmage was thinking about colaborating on some pewter ones.

Check out the thread on IBRSC board.

Mel

Daemion
04-10-2003, 09:50 AM
It's also rumored that Pete from Medieval Productions (http://www.medievalproductions.com) was working on them last summer. He'll be at Stockwood as well.

Donnaccia
04-10-2003, 02:51 PM
those things are dowright HARDY when they're blown right.

Ummm...Nah, nevermind. That one's WAY too easy :yawn:

:D

Bonnie
04-10-2003, 02:57 PM
yeah...I know. I'm sorry. I'll try to challenge you a bit more next time. :D

Donnaccia
04-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it!! :P

PIE!!! :twisted:

Tempest_Gypsy
04-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it!! :P

PIE!!! :twisted:

Pie? I like pie! :D

Robin
04-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Are bodice daggers allowed at faires? I don't know the rules for weapons in a public place... :?:

And the bodice chillers sound wonderful!!

Bean
04-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Go to the archives and search the Hussy's Hangout category for bodice chillers. Make sure you set the search parameters to all dates. It should bring up the thread that Tia started on 9/23/02 along with another thread about pottery ones. I know there are several web addys or phone numbers for glassblowers that make them buried in that thread. Hope this helps those in search....

Betsy

Isabelle Warwicke
04-13-2003, 10:17 PM
I got my first bodice chiller at HollyGrove Michigan...umm, Art of Fire, I believe....I bought my second at Bristol from Faire Maiden Glass (affectionately called "Girl Glass.") I like the second one much better, it's made to fit me. Plus Girl Glass is virtually indes-freakin'-structable.

Wench Robyn
04-17-2003, 05:28 PM
OK, I went to the website for Art of Fire glass blowing and got their 800 number and they told me that they do sell bodice chillers for $28. Their number is 1-800-639-6979. Their website is http://artoffire.com/. Make sure you check their website for the color. The size is 5 1/2 inches, but they can make them shorter or thinner. They sell them with smooth glass or ribbed glass. Good luck! :cheer: Yea! I am definetely ordering one. :D

moira
04-17-2003, 06:55 PM
hmmm... i wonder what the ribbed ones are for???

moira

Molly
04-18-2003, 01:38 AM
i wonder what the ribbed ones are for???

for our pleasure, of course! :lol:

anyway, since this is an "acessories" thread and you all seem to be "in the know", i'll ask this... for someone who is new to all this and has no idea what she's doing and no persona to speak of (she's just going to make it up as she goes along this summer) - what kind of acessories do you suggest?

Beatriz
04-18-2003, 06:55 AM
for someone who is new to all this and has no idea what she's doing and no persona to speak of (she's just going to make it up as she goes along this summer) - what kind of acessories do you suggest?

Only two: A mug (or tankard) and a pouch.

Having something to drink out of is a great way to help you feel "a part" of everything. I think drinkware is one of the first ways most of us insanies draw the line between being a rennie and a 'dane.

A pouch is useful because you'll need someplace to stash your stuff.

The rest of your accessories will evolve, probably rather quickly. You'll start to notice the cool things other folks have dangling from their belt, pinned to their garb, etc, etc, and you'll start to get an idea for what you want or need. The faires themselves provide tons of inspirations.

My best advice. Try to resist some of the impulse to buy everything now! Invest in some patience to scout out the nifty things you want and you'll be happier with whatever you do get. I waited forever to find the "right" fan.. and when I did, I paid considerably less for it, and it's one of a kind!

Happy shopping!

yes, I *am* a REAP! It's *all* about accessories.

Bronya
04-18-2003, 05:02 PM
...Beatriz is right, a great tankard and a pouch is all you need to get started.....BUT as a REAP also......one can never have to many accesssories and before you know it........your belt wil be full!!! Oh, and of course a new fresh American Manicure for opening day... :aok: