PDA

View Full Version : Something my mom told me

Magdalene
11-01-2004, 05:39 PM
My mom and I were talking about the whole flap in certain communities about moving Halloween to Saturday because Sunday was the Lord's Day and Halloween is a Satanic holiday (though my mom has argued that having three kids who brought home sackfuls of chocolate to tempt her away from her diet could possibly count as the Devil's work :lol: ).

My mom's minister (who has been the preacher of her church ever since I can remember, and I'm 34 now) apparently had to 'lecture' at some members of his congregation Sunday. The want the church Halloween party to be called a "Harvest Festival" because they feel Halloween is associated with witches and Satanism.

Mr. W apparently did his homework on what witches (or wiccans anyway) are, because he told his congregation that wiccans are not evil, they are nature-worshippers. (My mom said it was one of his, "You need to be more tolerant of your neighbors," sermons that he feels the need to issue out every so often.)

My mom's pew neighbor apparently said something about how she couldn't believe Mr. W could be so fooled, and my mom told her that her daughter (me) had been telling her the same thing for years, since many of her friends are wiccan. I guess the woman was shocked. My mom said she was waiting for the woman to ask if I was, just so she could say, "Nope--I somehow raised a Roman Catholic." (This woman doesn't like those, either.)

Just amused me....

Ysobelle
11-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Oh, that's just fabulous. Go, Mom!

It's so frustrating when people will believe anything their preacher says to them, until he starts talking about things in which they don't want to believe. I'm all for the power of individual thought, but disagreeing about tolerance? That's distressing.

Dmitri
11-02-2004, 09:08 AM
I love our Founding Fathers....

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814

Pathos
11-02-2004, 09:22 AM
I love our Founding Fathers....

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814

...and then he went and beat his slaves. :?

Dmitri
11-02-2004, 09:25 AM
This was a religious thread not a slavery one...

Pathos
11-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Oh right sorry. I know everybody gets pissed now about thread jacking. My bad! :(

Nevada
11-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Hey are you sure your mom doesnt know my mom?! :lol:

WenchyMom
11-02-2004, 10:16 PM
see I've done this several times, when hubby and I lived in East Texas ( where you can't walk a block with out seeing 3 churches if not more) i worked with several people that were of the same mind the above mentioned congregation (sp) was/is (whatever). I then started talking to one lady, and I mentioned that I had done a study of Wicca. ( I never actually practiced but a had a shit load of books on it) and that there is no SATAN in wicca and that most people believe that the horned one ( and forgive me if my terminology is wrong it's been awhile) is satan, but i was like nope and started explaining to her the symbolism and stuff. She was really shocked, she asked if I practised and I told her no, I just like to understand people instead of bashing them.

My motto: I'll believe in what I believe and you believe in what you believe and that's that. NO harm no foul. Montgomery Gentry says it best "you do your thing, and I'll do mine."

my two cents sorry, I'm going back into hiding now.

KissMeKate
11-03-2004, 09:27 AM
We were saying "Happy New Year" to our friends and got the raised eye-brow question from a couple of people. So we tried to explain that Halloween/Samhain is also an end of the year celebration. We had a few confused people in the room. :?

I have also studied many religions - Catholism, Christianity, Mormonism, Islam, Wicca, a few of the Native American traditions - in a search for both understanding and a sense of myself.

It's nice to hear that there are ministers out there teaching about tolerance.

WenchyMom - Your two cents are very similar to my two cents!

Strange Jane
11-06-2004, 12:54 AM
thumbs up to the minister

double thumbs up to your mom!

Blue Pixie
11-07-2004, 01:06 AM
I wish my grandmother could listen to that minister, maybe then I could come out to her about being a witch. I can't come out to anyone in my family except maybe my mom and dad (and that's still a little issue, still haven't totally come out). It really helps hearing that not all people thing I'm some evil person- when really I'm not.

So if I ever met that minister I might just have to kiss him on the cheek. Tell your mom that one little witch thanks him!

FairieTink
11-07-2004, 09:25 AM
My buddy works for the phone company and he was told to take his pentacle off cause it might offend people.... after talking to his union rep, he said sure thing as long as the other guys took off their crosses and anything else that might be religious

Well he now gets to wear his and no one can say anything to him. :lol: