PDA

View Full Version : BRITISH HANDFASTING

Nevada
11-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Now this is cool!

COUPLE GET HITCHED IN STONE CIRCLE WEDDING
BROOMSTICKS, horse-drawn carts and fighting knights were among the more unusual elements of a wedding ceremony during which the bride and groom literally tied the knot.

Rowan Saunders and Eric Rogers were joined together spirtually in the pagan handfasting commitment ceremony in Wiltshire.

The bride and groom invited more than 130 guests to the celebration which was held at the Avebury stone circle.

Rowan (29), who works at Harlow Study Centre, was attended by three handmaidens and a pageboy, each dressed to reprsent one of the four elements – air, wind, earth and fire.

Eric (37) was attended by two brothers in kind, the equivalent of best men.

“Neither of us are the religious church-going type,” said Rowan, a special needs instructor. “We wanted a proper way to demonstrate our commitment to one another without going down the white wedding road and we thought this was a really romantic way of doing it.”

The ceremony included poetry, readings and a Cornish song before the couple were joined together with two pieces of cord, coloured according to their birth elements.

Traditionally, couples are tied together for 24 hours. However, Rowan and Eric lasted until after the ceremony and before the start of the celebrations, “We’d had enough by then,” joked Rowan.

They also shared an apple and jumped over a broomstick representing their first leap of faith together as a married couple before making their way to the reception on a decorated horse and cart.

Rowan, who described the day as no less than a romantic fairytale, said: “Everything was symbolic. Even the cake was green and had each of the elements represented.”

During the celebrations the guests enjoyed a re-enactment of knights fighting and tucked into a medieval feast with real ales and country wines.

Handfasting was once the only official way couples could be married.

The origins of the phrases “tying the knot” and “getting hitched” come from the ritual of binding the couple’s wrists together with cord.

Laneya
11-30-2004, 01:03 PM
I am officially jealous!! :yum:

Eric McTavish
11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
TinkerWench and I want to do this too.. uh anyone wnat to lene us around $3000.00??

Lady Sarah
11-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I agree with you, Laneya - I'm jealous!! my mother's so eager for me to find someone to marry that if I did anything but a traditional wedding, she'd have a breakdown!

it's my wedding. :pfft: I'll have to print this out and save it for that far off day. ~L~

Silverwind
11-30-2004, 02:04 PM
In case anyone is interested, my wench Mary has performed handfasting for couples in her capacity as a Priestess. We have a special ceremony all written out for these occasions that can be modified to fit the situation.

Phoenix McHeit
11-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Ooooooooooooooooooh!!! 'Scuse me...*wiping drool* WOW What a mental picture that created!
If I ever decide to marry again.... and that's a Humongous, Ginormous "IF"... that'd be the way to go!

Nevada
11-30-2004, 04:24 PM
my mom is amused that we are having a costume ball for our wedding...a little disappointed I wont wear all white but she's cool..but dang I like what they did in the article

FairieTink
11-30-2004, 07:57 PM
I've been to those stones... there is a great tour out of London that takes you there, Stonehedge, some castle ruins, the cuttest little town and a pub for lunch.... it ROCKS!! I think it runs like 70 US bucks but totally worth it.

Absinthe d'Accalia
12-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Very cool! We had an outside wedding at a cool forest preserve in Warrenville, IL, but being married at a stone circle like that would have been awesome. Hmmmm...maybe if we decide to renew our vows some day.... :thinking: