PDA

View Full Version : sewing help needed....

Bean
04-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Hi all! I am working on a cloak and have a couple of questions.

1.) I am lining it with flannel, should I just pretend that I am sewing the outer pieces only but add the lining in? This way each section is sewn together inside and out.

OR

2.) Should I sew the lining and outer pieces following the pattern, and then just sew around the outside and then flip right side out? This way the 2 parts are joined only on the outer edges and bottom.

If anybody is familiar with it, the pattern is Simplicity #9887 view D; long flowing cloak with a hood and no sleeves.

I guess I should ask my bloomers question while I'm here: If I use elastic around the leg bottoms, how do you all measure for this? I don't want it so tight I have indentations for weeks, but I want to have the upper leg a bit poofy. Got the coolest fabric yesterday at Wally-world: light blue flannel with hearts on it, and a wild tropical floral: 3 yards each, paid $8.78 total.

I have officially crossed the line in the sand into garb whore land......

Betsy

CelticBombshell
04-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Well if you don't want your lining to roll on you i would sew it to the outer part before you sew the panels together. Thats just how I do it.

Take the elastic and wrap it around your leg so that it is tight but comfortable and that is the right lengeth.

Mel

Bean
04-11-2003, 11:06 AM
So I would stitch the 2 wrong sides (liner and outer) together on each piece first, and then put the panels together with the outers together? How do I hide the seam edges on the inside lining, or do you let them show? Aggghhh.... maybe I'll skip the lining......

Betsy

Mermaid
04-11-2003, 12:05 PM
My cloaks have turned out well when I sew the outside panels together, and sew the lining panels together---then right sides together sew the outer edges together, and the upper edges (with the hood between, so it comes out in the right place <G>) I just hem the bottom edge of each and don't sew them togther.
As a cheat, this last fall I made a cloak liner of fleece--it's just to below hip length, and pins into my favorite cloak between the fabric and lining---keeps me warm early in the day, and unpins easily when I start getting too warm! (because I use the same pattern for all my cloaks, it will fit into all of them too)

Mermaid

lauradake
04-11-2003, 12:39 PM
What I do is this:

I make the lining and cloak seprately. I thin place them wrong-sides together and stitch around all edges. I then cover this stitching with bias tape--it adds a nice contrast, and it's really easy. :)

-Laura, Queen of the Bias Tape

Ysobelle
04-11-2003, 01:06 PM
I never sew the bottom hem together on a cloak cos inevitably, the outer and inner fabrics will stretch unevenly, or the lining'll catch on your shoulder, and it'll bag out one way or the other. (Man, don't I sound like Eeyore?) And I don't usually sew all the layers together at once (flatlining) cos it always gives you seams on the inside that're easily avoidable. Okay, maybe not easily, but....

Baby, if you wanna call me, you know you can, anytime, and I'll talk you down. Just so you know.

Bean
04-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Okay, after sucking on the oxygen mask for several minutes, I think I have a handle on this. :stunned:

Now, for the next question, anybody use the iron on hem tape instead of hand hemming? Or as another option, use the hem tape and then just whip a quick stitch on the seam? I HATE to hand hem and I made 2 skirts I need to get hemmed in the next 3 weeks in addition to this cloak. I'm just going to roll the bottom of the cloak over twice and run the machine over it. If somebody is on the ground looking at the bottom of my cloak, they are probably too drunk to see the stitching anyway....

Betsy

Mairi the Herbwench
04-11-2003, 03:31 PM
I use the fusible hem tape stuff a fare amount and I like it - it works better if I can steam it on - and it doesn't seem to hold up well to washings. On a lot of my stuff (fabric dependant) I'll just doa rolled hem on my serger. I don't hand sew - lost fine control in my hand when I broke my elbow.

Tempest_Gypsy
04-11-2003, 11:46 PM
I use that pattern myself for making all my cloaks, it works well.
What I usually do is sew the outer panels together, sew the inner panels together, put the hood together and then comes the fun part....assembly!
I start by hemming the bottoms of both the outer and the lining. Then sew them together along the sides (the part where it will close in the front). Then I sew the outer layer of the hood to the outer layer of the cloak, right sides together and then put the raw edge at the top of the liningin between the hood outer and the hood lining, fold the raw edges of the hood lining over and sew the whole shebang together and double that seam, just to be sure.

If you think the lining will slide too much against the outer, you can always tack it in a few places. Get the lining and outer panel seams lined up and just 'sticth in the ditch' in a few places. I'd usggest a little higher up rather than near the hem, but your choice.

I can't even recall how many cloaks for myself and others I've made out of this pattern... If you don't understand anything I said because I speak too much sewereese feel free to PM or AIM me.

Good luck!!!