PDA

View Full Version : Peter and the Starcatchers (children's book)

Apropos
12-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Warning....I am a devout fan of Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie!

I have bought copies of Peter and Wendy (the original book) for each one of my children. So when I came across the "prequel" of how Peter met Capt. Hook, I thought it would be a great addition to their library. WRONGO REINDEER! As a purist, I got into the first chapter and was fuming. Dave Berry (who I otherwise once adored) took way too many liberties with Peter. Then when I read the end and how he devoloped Tinker Bell...let's just say the book is in the trash and I have to fix the book shaped hole in my wall. Now, if one is not a purist, the book is a good read for children who just want a good story about Peter Pan and Captain Hook. It's got great adventure and lots of pirates. My kids, won't be getting it though.

Katerinka Kotenoka
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Scary. A wonderful classic perverted so badly that you had to toss it... at several things. I won't be looking for that one if you couldn't get past the first chapter before tossing it! Too bad. Peter Pan's everybody's dream... then someone else writes something that makes him look bad. And I thought the movie Hook was good, even if it did go in a strange direction.

Lady Sarah
12-15-2004, 09:13 PM
"Hook" was a travesty, IMO, and Peter wasn't my dream. James Hook was. ~chuckle~

you say this book makes Peter look bad? AP!! ship it down to me peese?

Apropos
12-16-2004, 11:45 AM
I will ship it to you after Devon gets done screaming at it. As a purist I want to believe that Peter fell out of his pram after hearing his parents talk about how he would grow up...in essence he ran away from growing up. AND fairies were made when the first baby laughed and that laugh broke into a million pieces. Those things are treasured thoughts. The authors have Peter in an orphanage. And how they developed Tinker Bell is a great concept, but not how it was originally done. Oh well. Rant over.

DameGoode
12-20-2004, 02:40 PM
I knew it! I refused to read that book because I knew it! I knew they would pervert it. My husband bought it and said that he liked it, and that I should read it. It was really good. I got huffy of course and demanded, had he ever even READ the first book. He said no, but he had seen all the movies... ha ha ha.... We all know how close movies are to books. Just because a book is new and on the best sellers list doesn't mean that it is good or even deserve to be printed. I'm really disappointed at the greediness of Barry's heirs (Some royal children's hospital, that I can't remember the name for) who commissioned this book as a fundraiser. Capitialize on Barry's name in someother way, please.

Apropos
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Dave Berry is the columist who has nothing to do with J. M. Barrie, the original author of Peter Pan. He and another author, Ridley Pearson, wrote this prequel to answer Pearson's child's question on how Peter met Captain Hook. It has nothing to do with the original other than Peter Pan. J. M. Barrie gave all rights to Peter Pan to London's Children's Hospital. If you have seen Finding Neverland, not even those boys got any of the royalties from Peter Pan. Barrie had no biological children, so he has no heirs to benefit from this book. It it for the benefit of the author's not Mr. Barrie's. Please belieive in the magic of the first one and all the good that comes of it's continued sales.

Drea Beth
12-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Dave Berry is the columist who has nothing to do with J. M. Barrie, the original author of Peter Pan. He and another author, Ridley Pearson, wrote this prequel to answer Pearson's child's question on how Peter met Captain Hook. It has nothing to do with the original other than Peter Pan. J. M. Barrie gave all rights to Peter Pan to London's Children's Hospital. If you have seen Finding Neverland, not even those boys got any of the royalties from Peter Pan. Barrie had no biological children, so he has no heirs to benefit from this book. It it for the benefit of the author's not Mr. Barrie's. Please belieive in the magic of the first one and all the good that comes of it's continued sales.

Just to jack the thread a little, but what did you think of Finding Neverland? I'm not a J. M. Barrie scholar in any way, shape or form, so I have no clue how factual the movie was. I did think it was wonderful. Just curious as to what other's think.

Apropos
12-20-2004, 03:17 PM
I went with my daughter. I can tell you we bothed loved it. I already put it on my to buy list. She is a Johnny Depp fan and a Peter Pan fan. So it was double good for her. I liked the entire story, the way they showed him coming up with his ideas for the story of Peter Pan. And I loved the way he brought it to life for Llewellyn. I cried thru most of the movie. Even the men in the audience were in tears. And I have to say, when they were showing it at the end and Peter was trying to get them to clap for Tinker Bell, there were kids in the theater that started clapping...I sobbed like a baby. Totally lost it. Definately a bring your own box of tissue movie!!!! I reccommend it to anyone.

Drea Beth
12-20-2004, 03:23 PM
I second the need for tissues. I've been telling people that if you're not prone to crying, bring a handful. If you are, bring the whole box!

My favorite part was when the lady said to Peter that he was Peter Pan, and he replied that no, Mr. Barrie was Peter Pan. Made me smile really big!

Apropos
12-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Definately a BYO tissue movie...don't rely on using the napkins from the theater!!!!