View Full Version : Rape Treatment Guidelines omit Emergency contraception

Nevada
12-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Geez providing the information doesnt mean the victim has to take it--

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/nation/10532811.htm

Ysobelle
12-31-2004, 10:55 AM
Yeah. Like I'm surprised.

There's nothing on the NOW website yet, nor NARAL. But until there is, take a look at this. It'll either help you breathe a little more easily, or strangle you.

http://naral.org/yourstate/whodecides/states/index.cfm

As soon as there's some manner of online response to the report, I'll post it.

KissMeKate
01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm not surprised either, but I don't like the direction we seem to be headed.

Well, I used to live in Wisconsin (grade: F), but Illinois isn't any better (D+) (although it doesn't look like any states get a good grade). I find it ironic that Illinois got a check for having greater right to choose laws than the federal constitution, but had an X previously for its' intent to eliminate a woman's right to choose.

I'll tell you what, if our governmental agencies expect me to go back to the stone age without a right to choose what is wrong or right for my body, they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming, because I ain't going. I believe each woman needs to be responsible for their actions and that better education is needed regarding sex, pregnancy, and disease; but after all that, I think it should be my decision for what is right for my body.

My $0.02.

Adriana Rose
01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Jeepers..
This is taking thigs rather far if you ask me. I mean come on there is enough stuff going on with a rape case all the emotional stuff that is going on. Most victems do request the morinig after pill, that does not count as an abortion. Any way if the doctors refuse to give the pill to the woman and she is pregnate from the rape she might go and get the abortion. This is a classic example of nasty old men making the laws that will be only effective for women.
just my .02 cents

Emrld
01-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Of course I don't think that anyone should be allowed to make laws reguarding how to treat a rape victim until they have directly been effected by someone very close to them or themselves being raped.
I wonder what would happen if one of the lawmakers daughters were raped at 16 or 17 with their entire future ahead of them but, oops due to a law they now are pregnant and have no choice but to carry to full term. This will either majorly effect her future or. . . another child is created that becomes the responsibility of the state.

Neadods
01-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I've seen an early report on LiveJournal that over a dozen members of Congress have written a letter in protest of the "no EC" policy. I'm cautiously hopeful, but waiting for news reports to hit more mainstream outlets before I completely believe it.

Galleywench
01-14-2005, 12:38 PM
This hit particularly close to home for me. In 1999 the apartment I lived in was broken into and I was assaulted. While the hospital staff doing the rape kit knew what they were doing the police officers were neanderthals, and the rape crisis advocate must have dealt with them before because she was ready for a fight as soon as she walked through the door. Unfortunately the locking of horns between the idiots with the badges and the advocate caused just enough chaos that a few items were missed...including the discussion of EC. By the time anyone remembered it was past the window and a "wait and see" attitude was taken.
Many of you know me, and know that I had given birth to a baby that Sig and Cheryl adopted...but very few of you know how they came to be Eric's parents. I thought very seriously about abortion, even made the appointment and cancelled it that morning. I contacted crisis hotlines, birthright, planned parenthood and not a single person was able to help me work through the extreme emotions that I had to deal with. Every agency had an agenda. I was just dating Jay at the time and it was awhile before I confided anything in him, and even after I told him what was going on I still could not really talk to him about details. I gave him the police report to read so he knew everything...but as far as my internal havoc I dealt with it alone.
I knew that Sig and Cheryl had been married for about 15 years at that point and had tried to have children unsucessfully. I also knew that I would resent this child forever if I had to raise him. After contacting several agencies and calling a few of those ubiquitous 800 numbers that claim to be from 'loving couples' I asked the Olsens's if they would like to adopt this baby. I waived my rights to an attorney, took no stipend or compensation, used my own medical insurance and we proceeded through an extraordinarily unorthodox open adoption.
I always tell myself that "things" happen for a reason, I generally follow that by whining a lot that I wish I knew what the reason was so I could deal with whatever the "thing" is better.
Even now that I know what the reason was I am angry that this small option was overlooked. I am also furious that although DNA evidence is collected there is but a single lab in the northeast to analyze the data, making victims wait several months before they even know if their attacker is "in the system" or not. I am angry that most rapists in this part of NY are never caught or when they are they are rarely prosecuted.

EC needs to be included in the rape kits...and offered again within the window of it working. Having already gone through an experience no woman should ever endure I can attest to the fact that perhaps our minds just are not in the right place to make some decisions that must be made. By offering options not once but several times the victim can make those choices.
I don't regret giving this child a home where is is loved, although there are days when I wonder if it would have been better to place him with a couple I did not know in a closed adoption... but that's another topic entirely.