PDA

View Full Version : Garb Question for Tuxedo

Sandina
01-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Hi,
I am kind of new to the guild and have a garb question. I just finished reading the garb tips section in The Little Brown Book. My bodices are printed and my skirts and my tops and skirts are mostly bright colors. Do I have to purchase all new garb, or there other "colorful" wenches out there? Will I be looked down upon?
Sandina
IWG#2867

RichardMacHugely
01-13-2005, 09:10 AM
I can't answer for all the other Rogues, but as for myself, I don't look down upon brightly colored bodices. I just look down them period.

lauradake
01-13-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't attend faire... but this is MY general caveat:

Unless I am working cast, I'll wear whatever I darn well please.

If you're playing your hard-earned dollars to get into a Renaissance Festival, wear garb that YOU feel beautiful, sexy, and condifent in. Personally, I wear "wrong" colors all the time. My favorite bodice is fuschia (http://greycatdesigns.com/images/portfolio/photos/327f.jpg). (Which, I've later found, you can actually get this color using historical dying methods... but *I* didn't know that at the time! *grin*)

And you know what? When you FEEL beautiful and confident, people don't notice your GARB... they notice YOU. My bright pink bodice makes me feel great. And I can't tell you how many seasoned faire folks, cast, or performers who HAVEN'T noticed that I'm wearing hot pink, because they're not focused on the garb... they're focused on ME.

So wear what you like. :)

(Unless you're cast, then you have to play by their rules. *grin*)

Tink
01-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I work at Tux, so I have to stick to guidlines regarding colors and patterns, etc.

Patrons can wear anything they want as far as colors and etc goes though.

If you're looking to be truly period, then bright or deep colors are incorrect. The reasoning behind this is....

Only the rich could afford certain pigments, purple and black for example were very expensive to die. Same too for patterned fabrics like tapestry....only the rich could afford such things.

Also "new" looking clothes were not the norm for peasant and lower classes. Since they usually had limited clothing and wore it a lot. So things like sweat, dirt and sun exposure would fade colors. Working, peasant class tended to wear earthy colors that were woven from wool or cotton and not usually died.

Now if you wear something and want to have some fun with it, make up a character and story....something like your fancier bodice was a gift from a well-off male admirer who took a shine to you.

Bottom line as Laura said, if you're not working you can wear whatever you want. Have fun with it and be bold or stick to the period, whatever you wish.

01-13-2005, 01:21 PM
I have to agree with Tink and laura.....it is whatever you are comfortable with....

wear what you have, come and introduce yourself around and see what others wear and who the merchants are....

if you don't feel comfortable int he garb, things can be canged, but hey, it is for FUN......this is not about being period, if it were the majority of garb would be unacceptable anyway because of materials, colors, stitching, and whatever.....

but it is for fun, so who cares!!!!!

And I hope to meet you this summer!!!

Muffin

Drea Beth
01-13-2005, 01:30 PM
As the others have said, if you're buying a ticket, wear what makes you happy!

I'm threatening to make pirate garb in some garish color for the up coming season. Why? Because I can!!! :twisted:

Drea Beth
01-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Arg... darned duplicate post.

Ariel
01-13-2005, 05:01 PM
As has already been said, wear what ya want. But I just wanted to add, make sure you introduce yourself around. A bunch of us last year were talking about being shy and never introducing ourselves, so make sure you are not a wallflower! :D
As for bright colors, you should see what some of us wear for bloomers! Its all in good fun.

Sandina
01-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I am glad that I can still wear the colors. I don't work at the faire . Hopefully I will met some of you this year,I do have " the disease of being shy"
Sandina
IWG # 2867

Galleywench
01-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Sandina.... no matter what colors you decide to wear I hope that you'll feel comfortable enough to let us all know who you are!

Most of us don't bite...much.
:wink: