PDA

View Full Version : Accessories and your belt. . .

ShawnMarie
04-19-2003, 12:18 PM
I've been reading the great thread on accessories (I'm new and can use the advice) but was wondering how you attach stuff to your belt?

I wouldn't want to lose anything that's I've taken such care picking out, but I'm sure it will happen.

So any advise on how to make the stuff safely attached, but still usable when you need it?

Thanks!!

ShawnMarie
Decisions. . .Decisions. . .

Kiza
04-19-2003, 03:15 PM
You can find leather attachment things (sorry - been working on a research paper for hours - losing my grasp on the language) that attach to your belt and hold your stuff in place. Most places that sell belts will have them. In a pinch, you can also just pin or tie your stuff in place - just make sure it's secure enough that you won't lose something without realizing it. My husband walked around part of last season with his tankard tied to his hip - worked fine for him, though it made me a little nervous.

Kiza

Janelle of Warren
04-20-2003, 08:47 AM
A mug strap. :lol: Here's a link to a picture of one.

http://www.pottedfox.com/index.php?id=15&main=catalog.php&action=show

Until recently, most of my garb didn't have a belt that I could hang things from, but I used a mug strap that had heavy duty snaps on both loops to attach my goblet to the handle of my basket. That way I didn't have to keep digging through my basket for it when I was thirsty.

Bonnie
04-20-2003, 10:04 AM
You should be able to wear a belt with ALL your garb. A simple O-ring leather belt is what most of us wear, although SOME folk get fancier and wear them new-fangled tongue and clasp type thingies...

Interesting note, I just read recently, somewhere, that the ever-popular O-ring belt is not at all period, and never was, anywhere. The tongue and clasp types, however, very much ARE.

dunno how true or UN it is, but I read it.

Cassandra
04-20-2003, 11:18 AM
You should be able to wear a belt with ALL your garb. A simple O-ring leather belt is what most of us wear

While I love the look of O-ring belts, one thing I found with them is that they will loosen during the day, especially if you wear lots of stuff on your belt.

I usually wear two pouches (one for personal stuff, another for my phone, camera and keys), a pewter mug (heavy), a sharpshinypointy, and a few other things.

With all of that, I usually have to retighten my belt constantly.

I find that the more "modern" belt clasps are more secure and require less maintenance . . . important for a wench on the go!

Bonnie
04-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Too bleeding true!

And actually, a regular belt is on my list of 'things to get' for next season. My Oring belt holds fairly well, but sometimes, when trucking at high speed, or with certain outfits, it tends to loosen more than I'd like.

Janelle of Warren
04-20-2003, 01:39 PM
*G* A lot of my garb is medieval with the kind of belt that dips down in the front while riding straight across my back. If I hand anything on in, it ruins the line.

Also, due to a almost perpetually tender tummy, I wear only a half bodice (not period, really, but it's about all I can handle) which ends inches above where a belt would ride.

So...I mostly carry my hand basket...besides it makes a good place for Smoke (soft sculpture baby dragon) to ride. ;-)

Beatriz
04-21-2003, 11:13 PM
let's see...

a mug strap keeps my mug handy (and can be used for more than holding mugs)

my leather pouches all have loops in the back and I slide the belt thru, same thing with my sheath.

some of my bells are strung on a brass ring that get slid over the belt.

other pouches dangle from drawstrings tied 'round the belt.

favor sash has a loop that the belt slips thru.

fan is on a long, decorative cord that is looped over belt.

If you are trying to tie stuff onto your belt, one method I've found that works is a loop method. Take a loop (with object tied securly to it) and put one half of the loop behind the belt, the other in front. Draw the front (topmost) loop down into the back loop and keep tugging till its snug and secure against the belt.