PDA

View Full Version : Iceburg to impact glacier any day now

Galleywench
01-17-2005, 09:20 PM
So there is this giant iceburg, 100 miles long in fact....that is about to hit a glacier in the artic any day now.

The burg broke off from it's mother burg near the ice shelf and the impact is supposed to be "spectacular". The big ice cube is so big it even has a name (err... a number) B 15-A.

So.... we've seen Tsunamis, mudslides, earthquakes, volvanic eruptions, pilot whales beaching and now the ice burg collision.

...I think I've seen this movie, and I am quite certain I did not like the ending!

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050117045409990003&_mpc=news%2e10%2e10&cid=911

daBaroness
01-18-2005, 11:54 AM
... don't forget the hurricanes in Florida and the torrential rains, flooding and mudslides in California.

What IS up with all this weather stuff? And who pissed off Mother Nature?

Apropos
01-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Wasn't there an old commercial about "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!" and then lightening flashed and she cackles? Whatever she was advertising at the time, I think some butter substitute margerine, maybe we should have listened to her back then and not used margerine. I can only hope that the environment is just doing a natural cleaning out of it's own problems and we just got caught in the natural selection process. I grew up on the Great Lakes and you kinda expected living by water that there might be a chance for floods or ice. I would think if you live by a mountain, ya gotta wonder about mudslides sometimes. But yet people continue to build houses closer to the beach and higher up the mountain to be on top. Vanity thy name is nature.

Drea Beth
01-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Just in case you're not an aol member... the article from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/01/17/iceberg.collision.reut/index.html

Pathos
01-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Actually...I think this iceberg's impact is a GOOD thing. It's going to free up some sea lanes that have been blocked for a long time. From what I understand there's a lot of arctic wildlife (penguins, etc) that haven't been able to get to their feeding grounds because of the blockage but this iceberg will clear that out. So...finally we get a big natural event that isn't such a bad thing!

KissMeKate
01-18-2005, 01:24 PM
What IS up with all this weather stuff? And who pissed off Mother Nature?

Rather than let the extreme environmentalist out for a long rant, I'll sum up ... how about a few hundred years of unchecked human population explosion, pollution, and expansion without much consideration for the other living things on this planet?

A person may try to be environmentally conscious, but humans as a whole are not.

The penguin problem is an interesting one that has probably happened in the past. There seems to be a favorite breeding/family raising area where the nearby entrance to the water has been blocked by ice. They have to walk a long way (and they don't do that very well) to get food, so this year's batch of young penguins aren't doing well food-wise. If it was to continue for multiple years, the breeding area would probably move closer to the water.

Pathos
01-18-2005, 02:07 PM
how about a few hundred years of unchecked human population explosion, pollution, and expansion without much consideration for the other living things on this planet?

A few hundred? How about several THOUSAND years. At what point in the past has humanity EVER had consideration for other living things? Let's face it...ever since we discovered fire this planet has been burning non-stop. More lately than before...yeah...but it's definately no new thing! :wink:

Dedeley
01-19-2005, 06:50 AM
Interesting - the same sort of discussion is also in the Nanotechnology topic.

I'm going out to buy some butter.

KissMeKate
01-25-2005, 02:46 PM
how about a few hundred years of unchecked human population explosion, pollution, and expansion without much consideration for the other living things on this planet?

A few hundred? How about several THOUSAND years.

I was trying to show a little optimism, but you're right.

Has anyone been listening to NPR? They have been reporting on the agricultural explosion in Brazil (I think that's right). 15 years of generally unchecked deforestation (although current law states 80% of your property has to remain untouched) has shown extreme climate change, including worsening dry seasons followed by devestating rainy seasons. We'll see how fertile the land can stay with such erosion going on.

Muireadach - PirateRogue
01-25-2005, 08:31 PM
I have been the a rainforest in Equdor. i have seen how the indians famred it. It Worked. The problem is industrilzation. The indians would clear a patch, farm it for a couple seasons then let it go fallow for YEARS. and clear anouther patch.