PDA

View Full Version : any advise? weight loss

LashaLaRouge
02-03-2005, 05:49 PM
it seems ive come to a plateau, i was losing weight, but now all of a sudden it seems ive put everything ive lost back on.
im still doing all the things i was doing while i was losing weight.
eating well (small breakfast, salad lunch and white meat and greens for dinner and avoiding sweets) swimming every morning and 1/2hr in the gym every other day, but when it started piling back on i increased my swim time in the morning and stayed in the gym for 1hr. but nothign seems to be working. ive tried every diet i can think of, from the atkins to weightwatchers, my doctor is one of those that says that the only reason im overwieght is because im eating too much, ive tried showing him my diet diary but he insists that if i was only eating that i would be losing weight and that im cheating.
Ive never been a big eater in fact food plays no real part in my life, when i was younger a sandwhich was enough to keep me going all day.
theres not a single slim person in my family and ive tried to ask hom if it could be something genetic but he insists its nothing to do with that im just eating too much.

ive currently had to let go of my membership at the gym (im out of work) but i swim now twice a day an hour each time to try and make up for it, i also do some at home yoga. but nothing seems to be helping...

any suggestions, im getting depressed with the 20 steps backwards...
also do you think it might be worth getting a new doctor or talking with a dietician, im told all the women on my mums side and 6 gens on my dads side all have thyroid problems but the doc wont check...could this be part of the problem?

being out of work things are real tight and i cant afford to be 'shopping round' for doctors...

thanks for any help...

Jessa
02-03-2005, 08:02 PM
If your doc is refusing to check you for something you think you may have, its time to see a different doctor. Maybe one of your friends or family can recommend someone good, so you won't have to shopp around too much. Get checked, and then you'll know for sure and be able to deal with it.

Focus your excersize and eating habits upon boosting your metabolism. Eat a balanced deit (sounds like you already are). Smaller, more frequent meals are good because it keeps your body in burn-mode, rather than eating a bunch, burning some of it, and storing the rest to last until they next meal. Strength training is a good way to burn more calories. Don't worryabout getting bulky - its very difficult for women to do without taking hormones. If you firm up, and gain some muscle, those muscles will need to burn more even when they are at rest, just to keep going.

Best of luck, and don't give up! :grouphug:

Absinthe d'Accalia
02-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Lasha - is the gain just showing up as an increase on the scale, or are your clothes getting snugger? Sometimes the scale can be deceiving, if you're gaining muscle mass (weigh more, but take up less space).

I agree with Jessa - time for a different doc if the current one isn't listening. Your thyroid might be on the fritz or some other hormonal change could be part of the issue.

LashaLaRouge
02-04-2005, 03:19 PM
thanks ladies...
im currently asking as many frineds as i can get hold of about doctors tryign to find me a new one.

as for clothing, they fit me about the same,mabe a little snug but when i was this weight last time i was in a size 20, now at the same wiehgt in in a 16 stretch so perhaps some is muscle mass, its just very frustrating to lose all that weight then suddenly put back on, especially since most of my wiehgt is the 'roll type' with rolls around my waist and love handles...

ill keep yall updated and Definatly will be searching for a new doctor.

thanks again

The Doxie with Moxie
02-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Hey Lasha,

There are a couple things to think about in your weight loss regimen. Do you drink enough water? You absolutely need to have at least 8 eight ounce glasses everyday. If you unknowingly increase your salt intake you may be retaining water. Try in addition to the 8-eight ounce glass minimum to also every night drink 8 ounces of WATER with half a lemon squeezed into it. This will help to rid you of false water gain.

Next, you may have given yourself a daily caloric intake that is so low that your body is now convinced it is starving and it wisely hordes every available calorie it can. This just means that the survival instinct is strong and active in you. It's a good though inconvenient thing. This is where the dietician could come in for you. A lot of insurance companies will pay for gyms and weightloss experts so you should talk to your insurance carrier

You may have a lethargic metabolism if not an actual thyroid problem. If it is the first you can jumpstart it by having a small meal 5-7 times a day. You may need help from an expert on suggesting what types of meal will work best for you. You should also try to incorporate soy into your diet as it promotes maintaining muscle mass and healthy skin and additionally kicks your metabolism up a notch.

Have you given thought that it maybe a womens health issue as the bloating and gain seems to be all abdominal.. Maybe there is an underlying problem, besides thyroid, that could be the culprit.

Lastly...How do you feel? Do you have energy? Do you feel healthy and whole? Don't get down on yourself. You are beautiful and active and constantly evolving. You will figure this out. The best to you,

The Doxie':lol:'