PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough

Nevada
02-21-2005, 05:44 PM
okay so far it seems Coy (mgr) has cut a few acts.. EMuzeki, Foolhardy, and Paracelt..also have heard there is no jousting this year and no pirate weekend...I know for sure about the pirate weekend as he sent an email out to that effect....have it from reliable resource on the other information as well...has anyone heard anything else?
Due to financial and health reasons my Rogue and I can't make every weekend this year, but was still stunned at the forementioned news.....

Rowan Culpepper
02-21-2005, 05:48 PM
It is a shock about the Pirate weekend and the jousting.
Is this a marketing directed / financial thing?

Rowan

Nevada
02-21-2005, 05:56 PM
not sure what the thought process is...heard also that several small vendors are pulling out but havent heard which ones though.....

Silverwind
02-21-2005, 11:00 PM
From what I understand, Coy likes to drop different acts to see if anyone notices. He did this with Isis a few years ago figuring he could get free shows out of the Belly Dance Treasures shop there. Isis ordered all "costume demonstrations" to be only 2-3 minutes long and gave us a small letter to give to people looking for her. It did not say that she was not invited back, but that she could not perform this year due to business and please write / email Coy and the owners of the Faire if you would like to see her return. Over 10,000 letters and emails later Isis was invited back the next year.

I did check the website and I see that there is a new Jousting group performing at Scarby this year called Black Heart Joust. From their website it would appear to be a show group that puts on a show like Medival Times does. Lots of flash and effects. Some of the troup were ever a part of MT, or so I read. They have only been around for a year and a half so we will have to see what they are like.

Countess Mary
03-03-2005, 11:22 PM
I talked to Mark and Tara Reid of Foolhardy. They weren't told they weren't being asked back until December. As of this moment, they have no place to go when they leave Arizona. Mark said they might go to California (he has grandchildren there). But they're kind of up in the air because of the switch Coy made. They don't feel bitter at all about it, but they still want to be at Scarby because they think of everyone there as family.

Mary

AngelGypsy
03-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Yeah, we've heard about this too.

We've also heard that they are raising the prices before NTIF and not selling the discounted tickets at NTIF this year like they have in years past. Unfortunately, this means we can't get tickets there this year. It also means that if we can't find discount tickets elsewhere, we might not go at all this year. We're just too financially tight this year. I'm bummed at the thought that we might not get to go at all.

MaryDane
03-04-2005, 01:41 AM
Many of the performers and vendors live a great part of their life on the road. They have learned to rely on each other as family. Not receiving a contract to return is not only an economic set-back for some, it means time away from their adopted family.

The last weekend of TRF, many of the performers received their contract renewals. Several didn't and were on pins and needles waiting to hear. I salute their spirit. I don't think I could enjoy that life not knowing from month to month where you'll be and what you'll be doing.

To the people who did not get renewed, You'll be missed! Good Luck!
May better things be waiting for you!

ladyleggs
03-06-2005, 01:35 PM
My rogue and I attended scarby last year, we were so busy wenching and roguing, that we actually didnt make it to the jousting at all. We still had a very good time, so we still be there. We did get to see all the acts though, and what acts have you heard will be missing?

Countess Mary
03-06-2005, 11:36 PM
So far I know about Foolhearty, Paracelt, and E Muzuki. I think there are others.

Mary

Lady Sarah
03-06-2005, 11:39 PM
I have word on ParaCelt. If anyone's interested, they've been given a "guest" space at one of the Vendors. #138 I believe. i ran into them yesterday at NTIF and told them I'd spread the word.

Of course, y'all know that being allowed to guest in a vendor's space (if it comes off) they won't be getting paid. They'll only get tips if the patrons/playtrons leave them with the shop owner.

they also said that they felt that Coy was moving towards a more 'bar like' musical atmosphere - the rambunctious music, upbeat, etc, that he felt like no one wanted to hear anything traditional and soothing.

*Gremco
03-07-2005, 01:19 AM
I
they also said that they felt that Coy was moving towards a more 'bar like' musical atmosphere - the rambunctious music, upbeat, etc, that he felt like no one wanted to hear anything traditional and soothing.

Anyone who has been to a Renaissance Faire can vouch how after a long, hot, over stimulated day; nice soothing music is exactly what you need!!

Cut, Thrust, And Run aren't coming back this year either. However, I think I was the only one disapointed with that news.

Isabelle Fawkes
03-07-2005, 03:34 AM
I

Anyone who has been to a Renaissance Faire can vouch how after a long, hot, over stimulated day; nice soothing music is exactly what you need!!

Cut, Thrust, And Run aren't coming back this year either. However, I think I was the only one disapointed with that news.

Nay, dear Lass, this is the first I've heard!!! You mean I have to miss out on my Pirate Comedy Group! I am sorely disappointed now!!! Must go and weep quitely in the corner now.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Isabelle Fawkes
03-07-2005, 04:13 AM
From what I understand, Coy likes to drop different acts to see if anyone notices. He did this with Isis a few years ago figuring he could get free shows out of the Belly Dance Treasures shop there. Isis ordered all "costume demonstrations" to be only 2-3 minutes long and gave us a small letter to give to people looking for her. It did not say that she was not invited back, but that she could not perform this year due to business and please write / email Coy and the owners of the Faire if you would like to see her return. Over 10,000 letters and emails later Isis was invited back the next year.

I did check the website and I see that there is a new Jousting group performing at Scarby this year called Black Heart Joust. From their website it would appear to be a show group that puts on a show like Medival Times does. Lots of flash and effects. Some of the troup were even a part of MT, or so I read. They have only been around for a year and a half so we will have to see what they are like.

Aye, they do like to keep us on our toes!!

http://www.martinandvictoria.com/ are back on the list this year even though they were left off the schedule last year! (Boy did I miss them)

Foolhardy will be amongst the missing this year (send your responses to General Manager and Entertainment Director care of http://www.scarboroughrenfest.com/comments.asp )

Although they do have a few new performers debuting for part or all of the season (some only a few weekends) I will miss the regulars that I look forward to seeing every season!.

It also appears that http://www.theshantyman.com/ has been listed as "Lane Entertainment" which leads me to believe that he has not been designated a stage to perform on. We shall see.

All in all it should be an interesting season at Scarborough Faire this year. If you are not happy with the changes you find at faire this year, make sure faire management knows how you feel!!!

Hoping you enjoy the changes,
Isabelle Fawkes
(Not responsible for the dictates of Faire Management....Just a Playtron like you!)

daBaroness
03-08-2005, 07:23 PM
'Tis just the way of faires, I'm afraid. As a former manager and current stage show act at KCRF, I can tell you there are lots of factors and even more personal and political agendas upon which the comings and goings of faire performers are based. In all fairness, it's probably close to a 50-50 split between who's to "blame" for an act getting the boot. Sometimes it's just plain stupid management on the part of a festival - and generally based upon the entertainment director's personal likes, dislikes and whims. Other times it's simply a dollars and cents issue - owners are overall pretty cheap - and will cut budgets to ensure they're still getting their money.

Still other times, acts degrade over time due to attrition within a group, stale material, overinflated egos, personal issues, etc. Some just plain price themselves out of many markets - it becomes a matter of judging just how much someone is worth when weighed against how many other good acts you might be able to get in their stead.

Frankly - there have been a lot of groups and individuals that I've personally been happy as a lark to see get their walking papers. They are the ones who get way too self-important, have over-inflated egos and suck the budgets of faires dry while giving very little bang for their buck. Additionally, as audiences, we're often fickle and a group that's hot this year might be yesterday's news next. Some acts just do the same crap over and over again each year - and that's fine if you're constantly bringing in a new audience - but for those of us who've often seen the same tired thing by the same ego-inflated jerks - change is a good thing.

Honestly - the reason MentalPause had so much success last year is because we were something completely new - targeted at a part of the audience that hadn't really been targeted before. And we were fortunate enough to have observed the successes and flops of other performers, so we had a pretty straightforward set of guidelines we will continue to work from - like writing a completely new show every year we perform; always being accessible to our audience and to remain humble, not greedy and very gracious to our fellow performers.

But don't fear - very often times acts that have been unceremoniously dumped one year after being dubbed stale or overpriced or whatever, make a triumphant return within a season or two. Everyone has different tastes - and while to me - a group like Puke and Snot (who were performing at the Minnesota faire when I was 16) are just two old assholes making waaaay too much money - they still draw a large audience whenever they appear at KCRF.

I think the bottom line is to be open to new shows - don't hold back on your support and enthusiasm - or your ability to be entertained by them just because you're mad at faire management's decision to can a long-time favorite. And remember your constructive input in the form of letters, e-mails and phone calls can absolutely bring a show back to any given faire. Just because an entertainment director or general manager - or even owner made an unwise decision - even a stupid, ill-conceived one doesn't mean they won't reverse that choice if it means money to them.

Continue to support the shows you like - both by letting faire management know how much you enjoy them AND by tipping a job well-done. Even if you're a regular at a given show and have developed a friendship with the performer(s) - don't forget to throw a few bucks their way now and again - and talk them up to other patrons. Word-of-mouth is the best advertisement in the world!

The still stunned that MentalPause was a hit ...

Esther h'Ormone

Countess Mary
03-09-2005, 03:14 AM
I talked to Eddie Jeff Cahill (Bathos the Muse) and he'll be doing the first two weeks of Scarby. To those who might not know him, he did the theme song for The Tale of El Gusano. He's a terrific guitarist and singer. I'll be really glad to have him there again this year. He was at Scarby a couple of weeks last year just wandering the lanes and playing.

Mary

Rhia
03-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Am I the only one that is REALLY upset that E Muzuki isn't returning?
I was SO thrilled last year when they we on the bill, after listening to them the year before playing out of the candle shop in Pecan Grove. We even harrassed them that first year about putting out a CD... I was SO looking forward to them again... *sigh*

gotta go put my $.02 with Coy I guess....

Rhia
03-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Am I the only one that is REALLY upset that E Muzuki isn't returning?
I was SO thrilled last year when they we on the bill, after listening to them the year before playing out of the candle shop in Pecan Grove. We even harrassed them that first year about putting out a CD... I was SO looking forward to them again... *sigh*

gotta go put my $.02 with Coy I guess....

WOW! That took no time at all! just got this from Coy!

Thank you for your email!

You are correct, E Muzeki will not be joining us this year. We are hoping they will return next year.

Coy B. Sevier
General Manager
Southwest Festivals, Inc.
972-938-3247 x16
www.scarboroughrenfest.com
www.screamspark.com

well, at least there's hope...
wonder why they didn't come back?

Silverwind
03-09-2005, 12:08 PM
This sounds like Coy's standard reply. He wants to see if anyone notices that they are gone. So the more people who contact him and say they missed them will help determine whether or not they return the next year.

Paracelt is probably making a mistake by performing for free at a vendor's booth this year. Coy now sees he can get the same entertainment for free instead of payment them.

Rhia
03-09-2005, 12:13 PM
dunno - I went to the E Muzeki website and checked their schedule
they're in Arizona, then doing a number of shows in San Antonio (they are local there! I did not know that! Lucky you all!) and then on NPR in Corpus.

I sent an email to them to ask why they weren't returning to Scarby, that we missed them. Maybe we can get the other side of the story...

Rhia
03-09-2005, 03:44 PM
dunno - I went to the E Muzeki website and checked their schedule
they're in Arizona, then doing a number of shows in San Antonio (they are local there! I did not know that! Lucky you all!) and then on NPR in Corpus.

I sent an email to them to ask why they weren't returning to Scarby, that we missed them. Maybe we can get the other side of the story...

Apparently everyone has as much time on their hands as I do today - just got a response... *sigh*

All I can say is PLEASE send a comment to Scarby (Coy) asking after the artists....

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:46:23 -0700
To: "Kristin"
Subject: Mailing List confirmation and an answered Question

Hi Kristin,

Unfortunately, we were cut from Scarborough this year. We would have been there otherwise.
All I can say is, it always helps a little to send an e-mail to management to let them know
how you feel and what you want to see at the faire. I think they listen to what the patrons say.

Thanks for your interest,
Jenny and Mark

ladyleggs
03-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I and I can only speak for me, will attend as usual and will have a grand time no matter, who is missing. It is sad when we live in a society where poliitcs must play a role in everything, but just like paying taxes, what can we do about it, but voice our opinion and live and enjoy life. I love the faires, not just the acts, but the atmosphere, the people, etc. I will write scarby, and tell them they should maybe take a vote before hand from the visitors each year, on what acts they would like to see year after year, and which ones, they wouldnt. But I will be there, and having a grand time