PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Speaking of Ring Tones....

Alianne
03-10-2005, 11:50 PM
The Disney Gang thread kind of got me thinking:

If you have a cell phone that allows you to select different songs/ring tones, what ones do you have for which people...and why?

Since I'm asking, I'll go first:

When someone calls from my house, the theme from Quantum Leap. It was David's second favorite all time show. I would have selected ST:TOS, but couldn't find a decent version of it for a ring tone, and ST:TNG would have been just wrong.

DreaBeth: Spongebob Squarepants theme. Because she is Spongebob Squarewench.

My brother: Beethoven's 5th. He's a former music teacher (currently a high school principal). It fits him.

The DemiGod (when he's calling from his cellphone): The Malcolm in the Middle theme. Besides his being a big They Might Be Giants Fan, the lyrics include the phrase 'You're not the boss of me'. Appropriate for a teenager. :)

My sister in law: the phone's generic polka. She lives in Chicago. It just struck me as being very Chicago, somehow. ;)

Caitriona's hubby Chaucer: William Tell Overture. Again, it just suits him. I don't know why. It just does.

My friend Michael: the phone's 'rainforest' tone. He's a West Coaster, and we both have a jones for the sea. It was the most 'aquatic' ringtone I could find at the time.

Nikki: It's Raining Men. Kind of an inside joke more than anything.

Reaver: 'Don't Fear the Reaper'. Part of his .sig is 'Don't fear the Reaver'......

Caitriona: 'Barbie Girl'. Those of you who have seen her will more than understand this one. :)

The Demi-God's older brother (when he calls from his cell phone): 'One Week' (by the Barenaked Ladies). Besides being one of his favorite songs, it has the line about 'the boom anime babes'. He's a huge anime/manga fan. It works.

Tink (the Bodice Goddess): the phone's 'Prelude'. It sounds very 'Tinkerbell-ish' to me.

My default ring is 'Don't Worry, Be Happy'.

I still have to get around to getting more songs for other people. ;)

So, how about y'all?

Branwen
03-11-2005, 07:12 AM
My Mom is "Stars & Stipes Forever", she really like John Philip Sousa (the music).
My Brother is "Fly Like an Eagle", only because I couldn't find "Freebird". It's an inside joke.
Pussy Willow is "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith, 'cause she really likes the band.
My Dad is a default ringer that sounds like a very annoying electronic cricket. It's typical of my Dad.
A friend of mine from work is the "Addams Family Theme", she is going to school to be a Funeral Home Director & she really like the show. It fits.
When I set my alarm on the phone it's the "Lord of the Rings" theme. It's really LOUD!!!
When I get a voice message, I have it set for the "The Muppets Show" theme.
When I get a text message "Cartman" goes off & states that he want's his "Cheezy Poofs". I really need to asign other tones to other people, just haven't had the time yet.

Phoenix McHeit
03-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Man, I hate my old dinosaur-phone. No uber-cool ring tones for me. :(

Lady Sarah
03-11-2005, 08:24 AM
urgh.... it's a running joke around the office here that we've got The United Nations On Cellphone.... my normal ringtone is this digitized Arabian harm type music, there's a jamaican/carribbean ringtone, a chinese ringtone and one other...

I can't get special ringtones to work on my phone... :sigh:

Eric McTavish
03-11-2005, 08:40 AM
My ring tone is the Thunderbirds theme :D
International Resuce here...

WenchLadyKate
03-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Okay. Deep Breath...

For Bob, I've got Tenacious D's 'The Greatest Song in the World'.
My buddy Andy gets the theme from MacGuyver, beacuse he builds stuff.
My friend Emily get the Dukes of Hazard theme, because she loves them good ol' Duke Boys.
My friend Heather gets "A Pirate's Life". We ran around Disneyworld once talking like pirates to people. It became a running joke.
My friend Jacq gets the Austin Powers Bossa Nova, because, well, you'd have to know him.
Maija has SpongeBob Squarepants
My friend Marc gets Gilligan's Island
My mom insists on 'A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes' with the Cinderella animation. But I'd rather the theme from 'Halloween'.

My roaming ring is Roam from the B-52's
My Text is set to "Hi there! Spongebob Squarepants on the line"
My Voicemail is Stitch saying, "RRrrrar! oooga boooba! Hey! It's for you! Eeeba baba! Byee byee!

Various Others include:
Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
Fraggle Rock
It's a Small World
Little Black Rain Cloud
Indiana Jones
Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer
I Can't Get No Satisfaction
The Pac-Man Start-up sound
Margaritaville
If You Were Gay (From Avenue Q)
Siamese Cat Song
The International Log Song (Ren and Stimpy)
Defy Gravity (Wicked)
Popular (Wicked)
And that's about it! :-)

KissMeKate
03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Man, I hate my old dinosaur-phone. No uber-cool ring tones for me. :(

Yea, I'm not the only one with a really old phone! It's for emergencies only, but I did find that it will play a Mozart melody (can't remember which and I don't have the phone with me). Of course, when it does ring (which is very infrequently), my usual reaction is "Where is that music coming from?". :P

Lucy
03-11-2005, 09:40 AM
I don't have special tones set up for everyone, but I have appropriately assigned the default one to:
"Lucy in the sky"

:lol:

Lucy

Jamianne
03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Mmmm...ring tones. This is the first phone I ever had that had cool tones on it. :)

For my husband -- MacGyver (Because he thinks he is....despite the slight, ah, mishaps when he gets inventive)

For the boss -- Law and Order (I really wanted Imperial March from Star Wars, but can't find it....grr)

For the Evil People Who Show Up On My Jobs Sites to Make My Life a Living Hell (tm) -- Another One Bites the Dust (Because it's just appropriate -- they would so love to see me fired)

And for our neighbor and Dave's friend from work -- who also just happens to be the president of our co-op board -- Hail to the Chief (because I'm a little twistde like that)

:wink:

Alianne
03-11-2005, 10:50 AM
My ring tone is the Thunderbirds theme :D
International Resuce here...

*Where* did you get it?!?!?

must...have.....must....have...... ;)

Eric McTavish
03-11-2005, 11:01 AM
I have a service (7$ lifetime membership) that willl let you record mp3, wav, jpgs, etc tan then call them in to your cell! I'll have tinkerwench pm you the web address later!

I'Cin
03-11-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't have any special ones downloaded but from the ones available:

When my ex calls from his cell phone I get the "SOS - Emergency Warning" type beeps - insistent and annoying, and well, is a warning

One of my bestest friends who is the Boy Scout troop scoutmaster and is 35ish and rather large, not very fast moving - The Hokey Pokey

My son's cell phone - Hungarian Rhapsody - he likes it is the only reason and there wasn't an italian option

My youngest daughter's cell phone - Edelweiss, again, mostly because she likes it and it seems somewhat appropriate

The home phone - Home Sweet Home of course

I'Cin

ambar
03-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I have a service (7$ lifetime membership) that willl let you record mp3, wav, jpgs, etc tan then call them in to your cell! I'll have tinkerwench pm you the web address later!

Me too? pweese? :meow:

Buxom Wench
03-11-2005, 12:14 PM
the only ring tone I have for a particualr caller is for the hubby --

when his cell rings my cell, all you hear is "Hallelujah" -- with our last name being the same as that of Jesus, how could I not?

WenchLadyKate
03-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Me three!!! Maybe you should post the url... You're gonna be doing a lot of PMing! :wink:

Eric McTavish
03-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Me three!!! Maybe you should post the url... You're gonna be doing a lot of PMing! :wink:

I promice to post the website late tonight...!!!
TinkerWench has her Avatar from this board as the walpaper on her phone too
basicly any thing (image or sound) you save onto your computer is uploaded to this web-service than sent to your phone! Cool huh?

WenchyMom
03-11-2005, 05:53 PM
my Best friends from austin have the Charmed theme song (because that's our favorite show)

Hubby has charmed also, but I want to get the Travis Tritt song Drift off to Dream, it's our song.

My MIL & one SIL have the song Save a horse ride a cowboy by Big & Rich

My mother and two of my female friends have Redneck woman by Gretchen WIlson

One of my other friends has Drop it like it's hot by snoop Dog

I want to get some more so I can really personalize it, and hubby just got a MP3 player that will let me put songs that are on it on my phone... I'm so excited because I'm going to put some of the rogues songs on there for the wenches I have in my phone. lol

Eric another plea to put the website up for us too.

Alianne
03-11-2005, 06:09 PM

F.A.B!

Cyranno DeBoberac
03-11-2005, 06:37 PM
On my last phone, I had the Aqualung riff as my SMS alert.

I recently got a Treo 650. It's a Palm OS PDA with a built-in cellphone. I've been going nuts customizing it. With all the different apps to load and modifications to make, I haven't gotten around to ringtones yet, but for when I do, there's a program that will allow you to take any MP3, WAV or MIDI file on your PC, upload it onto the unit, and make it your ringtone. I've also got a MIDI editor on my PC. So there's pretty much no limit to what I can use as a ringtone. And it's all free (well, the software isn't, but the ringtones are).

I can even make a voice recording and use that. Imagine having a ringtone for each person you know be that person's voice saying "Hey, it's me! Pick up the phone!" :)

Personally, I don't like ringtones that are actual song files. I'd rather my phone sound like a phone than like someone turned on a radio. So I'm more likely to pick a song I like, find the sheet music for it and use the MIDI editor to render the song with synth beeps.

And before you say it... I know... I'm a geek. :)

Jessa
03-11-2005, 06:46 PM
My phone doesn't support different rings for different callers.

It can play different tunes, but I have set it to a simply electronic ringing noise. I just like my phone to ring when a call comes in, like a phone should.

Cyranno DeBoberac
03-11-2005, 06:59 PM
My phone doesn't support different rings for different callers.

It can play different tunes, but I have set it to a simply electronic ringing noise. I just like my phone to ring when a call comes in, like a phone should.

Luddite.

;)

Morrigan Lynnea
03-17-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm too lazy to assign different ringers for everybody. I currently have the braveheart theme as default. Always fun when my phone rings and random people shout "FREEDOM!!!!!" :aok:

Buxom Wench
03-19-2005, 10:31 PM

basicly any thing (image or sound) you save onto your computer is uploaded to this web-service than sent to your phone! Cool huh?

Did you forget about us?? :( how sad...

saphoenixsilver
03-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Presently Fragle Rock!

Eric McTavish
03-23-2005, 08:13 AM

Did you forget about us?? :( how sad...

No I didnt forgit I've been sick! :( I'll post the site tonight!

Buxom Wench
03-23-2005, 08:32 AM
quote]

No I didnt forgit I've been sick! :( I'll post the site tonight![/quote]

I feel your pain. I've been sick too so, TAKE YOUR TIME and get better soon.

Buxom Wench
04-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Oh Errrrrrricccccc,

Just a friendly reminder from the P.I.T.A. :wink:

Eric McTavish
04-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Sorry it took me so long!!!
been really swamped with deadlins at work but heres the site I told you about...

http://www.freeringers.net

What's Provided:
For a single one time payment of only $8.00 you'll get unlimited free downloads of ringtones and screensavers. This is a one time fee only, not monthly or yearly. You can upload any MIDI (polyphonic) song, image, or convert any MP3 or CD to a voice or Hi-Fi ringtone with free Windows tools provided to members. We also provide fast, free, and friendly email support to all members.

This is a one time payment for a lifetime membership. We NEVER charge or bill you again!

Buxom Wench
04-08-2005, 07:59 AM
:bow: :smooch: THANK YOU ERIC!!! :smooch: :bow:

Lucy
04-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Have any of you actually signed up for this? Anyone using Sprint service?

Eric McTavish
04-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Have any of you actually signed up for this? Anyone using Sprint service?

I use it (got cingular tho)

Eric McTavish
04-08-2005, 10:31 AM
:bow: :smooch: THANK YOU ERIC!!! :smooch: :bow:

no prob Hon sorry it took me so long! :(

Alianne
04-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Eric -

Thanks! Just signed up. Can't download from work (due to security firewalls)....can't wait to get home and start searching for the good stuff!

Larkspur
04-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, can't wait to get a hold of the website at home. Thanks, Eric!!

Well here is my list, it's entertaining at least to me:

Mom's cell - An annoying voice, 'You have an incoming call' When she was in chemo and such, I wanted to know, never changed it

All my other family members have the 'Muppet Show' theme, hehe

Branwen - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, oh boy do we!!

Thungar - I'm Henry VII (It fit's, when he wants to annoy you, he's just a little brother)

All my Pagan Friends - Ding Dong the Witch is dead, because I have a sick sense of humor

My default is the Aggie Fight Song. Any Texas football fans know about lost causes **sigh**

I have all kinds of stuff downloaded, but looking forward to doing a shuffle of some of the rings

My baby sister's is Ballroom Blitz, because that song describes how much of a knockout she is, if we could only convince her.

Psyche
04-10-2005, 11:33 PM
My phone does not currently allow for different ring tones for different callers. When I get one that does, I soooo want "Dong Dong the Witch is Dead"... for the devil-in-law. :twisted:

Merielle Elizabeth
04-11-2005, 12:34 PM
I have special rings for my parents' home line and my boyfriend's cell phone (which has caused some embarassing moments when his sister or, lord help me, his mother, has used it to call me: "Hi huuuuuunny!" "This is honey's mother."), but they're just the ones available on my phone.

I'm trying to figure out how much it's gonna cost me to use the freeringers.net thing, since my phone will charge me .25 per message/download and I'm likely to get addicted to it...anyone know of any other good places to get ringtones (bearing in mind that I am not at all technologically savvy)?

MoonWench
04-23-2005, 09:50 AM
I have one of those old crapy phones but I have the Harry Potter Theme as my ring.

Artos O'Dalriada
04-23-2005, 10:57 AM
hey lucy, if it helps, i have sprint pcs

Buxom Wench
04-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I have special rings for my parents' home line and my boyfriend's cell phone (which has caused some embarassing moments when his sister or, lord help me, his mother, has used it to call me: "Hi huuuuuunny!" "This is honey's mother."), but they're just the ones available on my phone.

I'm trying to figure out how much it's gonna cost me to use the freeringers.net thing, since my phone will charge me .25 per message/download and I'm likely to get addicted to it...anyone know of any other good places to get ringtones (bearing in mind that I am not at all technologically savvy)?

If you have Verizon Wireless, they now have a deal for $5 unlimited text & pics (which the ringers download as). You may want to check into that, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A PICTURE PHONE. It won't work otherwise. Hope this helps.

Merielle Elizabeth
04-25-2005, 02:36 PM
I do indeed have Verizon, and I'll look into this -- thank you!!! :)