PDA

View Full Version : 'Lord of the Rings' to Take to Stage

Eric McTavish
03-15-2005, 11:07 AM
AS A MUSICAL!!! OMG :shock: SINGING ORKS!!!!

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2005-03-15T151221Z_01_L1552492_RTRIDST_0_ENTERTAINMENT-ARTS-RINGS-DC.XML

'Lord of the Rings' to Take to Stage as Musical
Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:12 AM ET
By Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - After setting cinema box office records around the world, "The Lord of the Rings" is to take to the stage as a musical, the producers told Reuters on Tuesday.

The show, based on the fantasy classic by J.R.R. Tolkien, is to open in March 2006 in Toronto and come to London six months later.

But the producers have promised to go back to the original tale of Middle Earth and not try to reproduce the dazzling special effects from the movie trilogy, which earned $3 billion worldwide and garnered a string of Oscars.

"We are ultimately dependent on 50 actors and musicians to tell the story rather than technology," producer Kevin Wallace said as he announced details of the musical.

"We are going to have to break new ground. It is a hybrid of text, music, spectacle and physical theater," he added.

Eager to quell the fears of devoted Tolkien purists who dreaded the classic being transformed into a showbiz extravaganza, he said: "There will be no singing and dancing Hobbits. The music will be in a very traditional mold and draw on ethnic traditions."

The production boasts an international pedigree.

The music is being written by A.R. Rahman, the Bollywood film composer who scored a hit in London with the stage musical "Bombay Dreams." He is working in conjunction with the Finnish group Varttina.

The musical's British director is Matthew Warchus, best known for staging the worldwide stage hit "Art."

Wallace, an Irishman, is producing the show with flamboyant Canadian theatrical impresarios David and "Honest" Ed Mirvisch.

The original plan was to launch the show in London but theaters in the British capital are so crammed with hit musicals like "The Producers" and "Mary Poppins" that they opted for Toronto instead. New Zealand film director Peter Jackson spent 10 years bringing the trilogy to the screen.

He was greeted with critical acclaim and dubbed "The King of the Rings" for telling the epic struggle for control of Middle Earth by hobbits, humans, wizards and bloodthirsty orcs.

The producers have so far spent four years working on the stage musical, which they hope to take to Broadway after the Toronto premiere and the London opening.

Lady Sarah
03-15-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure whether to cry or laugh.

RichardMacHugely
03-15-2005, 11:21 AM
With music from BOLLYWOOD??????

[Dr. Smith] Oh the pain. The PAIN. [/Dr. Smith]

Cyranno DeBoberac
03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Springtime for Sauron!

Didn't they already do a LOTR musical on Broadway?

I think it was called "Les Cage aux Folles". :D

Fiona Freckl'dbottom
03-15-2005, 12:54 PM
First Spamalot, now this!?

Oh I can't wait to see this title, "Frodo!" or "How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Ring", mayhaps?

Cyranno DeBoberac
03-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Little Shop of Hobbits
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way to Isengard
The Best Little Whorehouse in Mordor
Aragorn Elessar Superstar
Seven Elves for Seven Hobbits
Gimli Get Your Gun
Hello, Frodo!
Bring in Da Orcs, Bring in Da Funk
You're a Good Elf, Legolas Greenleaf!
Samwise/Victoria
The Ride up Mount Doom (okay, that one was obscure, and not a musical, but it was too tempting...)

and of course...

Pippin!

Hee hee! This is fun!

Now you play!

Jessa
03-15-2005, 07:37 PM
How do they plan to protray a story that long in one show? The movies had to cut a lot of material, and are a total of about 12 hours. I can't see them getting away with a production much over 4 hours in length.

Pathos
03-15-2005, 07:54 PM
They'll do it like they did the films. Come out with three productions spread out over three consecutive holiday seasons. That way everyone has to come back and spend a hundred bucks on a ticket THREE seperate times. :roll:

Fiona Freckl'dbottom
03-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Hee hee! This is fun!

Now you play!

Ok, here's a few more:

Gypsy Rose Bree
7 Steeds for 7 Riders
Nazgul of the Opera
The King and Eye
The Sound of Mordor
Into the West Side Story

WenchLadyKate
03-17-2005, 08:11 AM
The King and Eye

:shock: :snarf: :rotfl:
Thanks for that...

KissMeKate
03-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Hmmm ... (makes not in Palm Pilot) ...
November 2005, search for Toronto musical tickets
March 2006, road trip to Toronto

Phoenix McHeit
03-22-2005, 09:54 AM
How about:

Mordor!!! (from Oklahoma! - ok I know its a stretch... need more coffee)

:sigh: that's all I have to contribute... sad, ain't it? ;)

Badger-1
03-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Hmmmmm ,,,,,,,,,, this should be very interesting indeed>>>>>>>.I only live 40 minutes from Toronto.and I,m a huge LOTR fan,,,,,,,,,,,,, But for some reason ,,,,when this musical starts ,,,,,I think I,m gonna wish that I lived a lot further away. And if anyone asks me if I,m going ,,,,I,m just gonna say "Ahhhhh LOTR,,,,,,,ahhhh,ahhhh, never heard of it ". 8) 8)

Badger-1
03-22-2005, 05:51 PM
:o :o "The hills are alive ,,,,,,with the sound of >>>>>>>>armies of Mordor :o :o

Ysobelle
03-22-2005, 07:36 PM
VARTTINA??

Oh, my G-d, that's gonna rock. If you haven't heard them, look 'em up. They're yummy.

Ysobelle
03-22-2005, 10:01 PM
http://lotr.dynalias.com/main.html