PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate cake using....Mayo? help me find recipe

Tink
03-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Ok so it was posted on this board at least 18 months ago....I am trying to search for it, but I get every post where someone used the word chocolate...and you gals know on here that's nearly every post!! :lol:

So anyone know it or at least know how to narrow down my search so I can find it? I will continue to search because I am hoping to make it tonight, but maybe someone will know it or find it before I do and save me some time.

Thank you!!

Tink
03-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Hell's bells.....I *knew* this would happen the minute Iposted this.....I found it. I'm a dumbass, I put mayo into the search and found it. *sigh*

For anyone interested it is as follows: (cut and pasted from Morgan Ravenwood's original post)

Super- Moist Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
1 cup mayonnaise (and not the low fat or fat free, it just won't work)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/3 cup milk
1 cup water
1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9x13 pan.

Cream together mayo, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add the flour, cocoa, and baking soda and stir to blend.
Add the milk and water and beat 2 minutes.
Fold in chocolate chips.

Bake 30 min. or until cake tests done. Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost with chocolate frosting if desired.

Ladies, don't let the mayo freak you out. You don't taste it, and it makes the cake super moist!

Lady Sarah
03-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Look at it this way... at least you found it!

sounds intriguing. might have to try this one for myself. Thanks for reposting it!

Buxom Wench
03-18-2005, 03:47 PM
My late grandmother, "Grambe", and I made this MANY times.
The cake is great to make into a Black Forest Cake -
Make 2 8 " or 9" cakes instead of a 9 x 13.
Put whipped cream on top and between the layers and cherry pie filling in between the layers and on top too. YUMmmm :)

Tink
03-18-2005, 04:18 PM
My late grandmother, "Grambe", and I made this MANY times.
The cake is great to make into a Black Forest Cake -
Make 2 8 " or 9" cakes instead of a 9 x 13.
Put whipped cream on top and between the layers and cherry pie filling in between the layers and on top too. YUMmmm :)

Good idea....... :idea: :!: Reminds me........

Caitriona posted posted recipes for buttercream icing as well as one for chocolate ganache in the original thread as ideas for topping:

"Buttercream icing

1 Cup butter (can use 1/2 butter , 1/2 shortening. I don't suggest using margarine)

1t vanilla extract

4 Cups Confectioners sugar (10x) ~1lb

2T Milk (if this is going to be unrefrigerated for extended periods I use water)

Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk/water and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add more water in small amounts until the consistency desired. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.

I have added hersheys cocoa to this, it just requires more milk/water. I never measure I just add until it tastes good.

You could also use Ganache.

12oz Semi-sweet chocolate
8oz Heavy cream
2oz liquer of your choice (optional)

Heat cream almost to boiling point.
Stir in chocolate.
Mix until dark and shiny.
pour over cake, it will harden during cooling.

If you have left overs add a little more chocolate and beat until fluffy - yummy mousse. "

And oh yeah Sarah...the cake recipe is DELICIOUS. Try it. The mayo really does make it so rich and moist and you'd never know it was an ingredient by taste.

Athalia Jewel
03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a wonderful chocolate cake recipe that calls for sour cream.....will post the link for anyone who's interested.

GroggGirl
11-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Here's a family favorite similar to the Mayo Cake:

Miracle Whip Chocolate Cake
(dont use lite)

2 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
1 1/2c sugar
4 tbs cocoa
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 c warm water
1 rsp vanilla
1 c Miracle Whip

Mix dry ingredients. Blend in water & vanilla. Blend in Miracle Whip until smooth. Pour into lightly greased & floured cake pan.
Bake 20-30 min @ 350, 325 if using glass dish.

I let cool until just barely warm. Then cover with plastic wrap. The heat/moisture in the cake will cause the top to become slightly fudgy.

Makes great cupcakes.

Enjoy.

Cruisewench
11-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Athalia:
I would love to have the link to the chocolate sour cream cake, It sounds delicious!

Galleywench
11-04-2005, 10:21 PM
This cake needs to come with a warning.. it makes a very big cake. It is also extremely decadent. It won an award for me in a chocolate competition on 1991.

The mayo is home made to start with.

For cake
*Make mayo first
For mayo
3 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk

4 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee (go ahead and use a flavor if you want, I like raspberry chocolate or hazelnut)

3 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (very dark not dutch process)
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil and vanilla.
Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with Espresso. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Add melted chocolate mixture to mayo, beating until combined well. Add buttermilk slowly. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. bake in middle of oven at 300 degrees until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes for three 10 inch cake layers.