PDA

View Full Version : Can't think of the Word

Bronya
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Help, help. My brain is dead. What is the term/word for someone who keeps going to school and never "finishes"?

Kae
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Life time student?

MaidenFaeSnow
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
A professional student!

Branwen
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Professional Student

Bronya
01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
YUP!!!! That is it :bow: The 50's fog is hitting me hard today.

Gemdrite
01-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Also, after 4 years of college, if they keep going, they are super-seniors.

La Femme Meow
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Perpetual student. A nicer way: lifetime learner.

Adriana Rose
01-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Seniors..... or if they fail out again Super Duper Seniors..

La Femme Meow
01-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Seniors..... or if they fail out again Super Duper Seniors..

Of course Seniors are Super, sometimes Super Duper. Now I won't say whether I am a sexy Senior but you know you are growing old when you see posters for a Senior Art Show and you automatically think it's by older artists not graduating young 'uns!

daBaroness
01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
A lazy bum loser?!!!!!

Phoenix McHeit
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
My sister is a professional student.

She has 3 Master's degrees, 6 Bachelor's, and is working on her second PhD.

Hardly a loser. :-D

Branwen
01-09-2009, 07:40 PM
When I was in college I was in a work study program. I worked with a person who had similar neck injusry as that of Chris Reeve. Only thing is, his injury happened in the 70's when I was just a kid. He was a quad and was working on I think his 4th or 5th degree. I know that he was in a Masters Program and he was almost a PhD. I was there only 4 years and I greatly enjoyed working with him. He was the smartest person I had the pleasure to get to know. I do not know if he ever graduated, for all I know he is still plugging away at his degrees and his research.

He was researching programs and experiments in helping people like himself and Chris Reeve with severe spinal cord injuries. He went from a person who was on breathing assist to a person who could actually type with a stylus attached to his hand and control his wheelchair.

What an AMAZING person.

Ysobelle
01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
My sister is a professional student.

She has 3 Master's degrees, 6 Bachelor's, and is working on her second PhD.

Hardly a loser. :-D

Yeah, but she finished! She just went back for more!

(I'm jealous, btw.)

Foxglove2660
01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Lucky bastard?

(*to be able to somehow afford to be a perpetual student)

daBaroness
01-10-2009, 12:27 AM
OK having multiple advanced degrees isn't *necessarily* being a loser, particularly if the degrees are a progression to advance one in a particular field of endeavor or make it possible to make greater contributions towards the betterment of the world and one's self. Or - in changing career paths, etc.

However, I'm sure we all know at least one person who is a professional student with either multiple advanced degrees that, while completed, are completely useless in procuring employment OR have traveled a lot of academic paths and completed none. And I totally get the joy of learning just for the sake of learning - I don't know too many people who have the luxury of being a professional student without a goal of gaining knowledge to make a living or some kind of contribution to the world.

The category I call losers are the ones who are either socially inept and unable or unwilling to leave the sheltered world of academia and become perpetual students so they never have to "grow up" and be responsible or the ones who are continually trying to "find themselves." I personally don't believe we "find" ourselves until we really get out in the world and live, contribute and discover our passion or purpose "on the job."

I've known people who have more degrees than G-d and use their knowledge and education to earn a living (some a REALLY GOOD living) and to contibute something to the world. I've also known the ones who are locked in a perpetual cycle of Peter Panism - not wanting to grow up. I think one should do something with their G-d-given talents and knowledge in life rather than hoarding all the knowledge in their heads and never doing anything with it. To me, the latter is either extremely selfish or escapist.