PDA

View Full Version : Review: *The Sign of the Book* by John Dunning

po silvertop the rogue
03-25-2005, 10:18 AM
The Sign of the Book: A Cliff Janeway, Bookman Mystery
by John Dunning (Simon & Schuster)

Trouble in Paradise? (Paradise, Colorado -that is!) It’s been years since Cliff Janeway retired from the Denver Police Department to pursue his other great interest.. rare books. A life amongst the bookshelves- musty old tomes, signed editions, book-shows...
So, why are people still shooting at him?
Ok, his bookshop partner/girlfriend Erin D'Angelo (the high-powered lawyer) has asked him to drive out of Denver to Paradise and make a few discreet inquiries about Laura Marshall, an old childhood friend of hers who is currently being held by the police under suspicion for the shooting of her husband, Bobby... A shooting she has already admitted to! (and to make matters worse, Bobby and Erin were a hot item themselves before Bobby and Laura had an affair.) But Cliff is really only doing this as a favor- and because there are a few of Bobby’s old books still in the house at the crime scene..
Did I say a few old books? Make that several hundred books... Several hundred signed editions... -But do they have anything to do with the murder? Cliff thinks they just might...

John Dunning returns to the world of Cliff Janeway, former Police Detective turned Bookseller. Like the previous three Janeway mysteries (Booked to Die, The Bookman’s Wake, and The Bookman’s Promise) The Sign of the Book is a tightly-packed, well-written traditional detective mystery with all the accoutrements you’d expect: good dialogue, interesting and memorable characters, unexpected twists, fisticuffs and gunplay. What makes Dunning’s Bookman series so interesting is that he makes the publishing world- new and used books, an integral part of the story. (The literary aspect of each story is no mere late addition.. each plot is sculpted around some interesting facts about book collecting, bookselling and book publishing...) Even were I not a bookseller myself, I would find these riveting - each of these four mysteries has kept me spellbound, reading long into the night, unable to put it down until I’ve reached the end.

s.

Eric McTavish
03-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Hay Po have you ever read The Knights Next Door??
about the SCA??
I just orderd it and was wondering how it was.

po silvertop the rogue
03-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Quoth Eric:
have you ever read The Knights Next Door??
about the SCA??

Hmm- nope- hadn't even heard of it.. until you mentioned it.. *but* I think I'll go take a look maybe order in a copy for myself at the store.....

The only thing I have *read* concerning the SCA is a wonderful mystery, entitled "Murder at the War" by - it's a murder-mystery set at Pennsic. (it was leant to me by a SCAdian friend, and having never been to Pennsic I loved the book so much I hunted down my own copy... of course- *this* year, I'm a card-carrying SCAdian myself, and plan on being at Pennsic at least a week...)

s.

Eric McTavish
03-25-2005, 12:00 PM
The only thing I have *read* concerning the SCA is a wonderful mystery, entitled "Murder at the War" by - it's a murder-mystery set at Pennsic.

Yup own that one! Love it!

heres a like to The Knights Next Door : Everyday People Living Middle Ages Dreams

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0595325300/002-2136630-4343262