PDA

View Full Version : Belly Dancing and Body for Life program

Wolves Lady
04-07-2005, 11:58 AM
I decided I was tired of winter, tired of the extra pounds I put on while my Dad was going through cancer treatments last year, and tired of feeling like a mousy frump (to the point I was thinking about making "Mouse" my faire name). Sooooo.. I decided to take some radical steps! Firstly, I'm signing up for Belly Dancing classes starting next week (anyone in the Aurora/Naperville area of Chicago is welcome to join me - Maybe if there is enough interest we can start a "wenches only" class separate from the gym). I've been wanting to for so long - it looks like so much fun! - but never had the nerve. Secondly, I picked up a copy of Pamela Peekes "Body for Life for Women" book, and decided to start that program. Looks good so far.

Anyone interested in joining me either in spirit for the dancing (taking a class on their own or continuing to take one) or in the Body for Life program? BfL requires that you have an "estrogen circle" <snort> of friends that you can count on for icky days and for general support - I think it would be fun to get some wenches involved!

Has anyone else taken Belly Dance classes?

Rhia
04-07-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm about mid-way through my second 6-week class and am totally addicted to Belly Dancing!! It's incredible!

in the couple of months I've been taking it, it's already made me a lot more comfortable about my body. I know it's not perfect, but I'mnot so hard on myself and am able to see myself in a much more positive light.

Also, I have ALWAYS had tremendous stage fright - even class presentations freaked me out.

There was a Hafla in our area after only the 5th class and I performed in it in front of all those people - had an incredible time, no stage fright, I can't wait for the next one (April 30th !!!!!)

There are a HUGE number of people out there involved in BD and they are really a great group! I strongly suggest you check out tribe.net - there are TONS of BD groups/forums there to talk about any/everything

I hope you love this as much as I do!

*Gremco
04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I've been in belly dance off and on for almost two years now. Its amazing. I hope you have an awesome teacher! The teachers make all the diference. The book sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Bonnie Strangeways
04-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Congradulations, and enjoy! I've been dancing for about 4 years now. I love it!!! Great low-impact cardio workout! And, being a huge klutz most of my life, I am way more graceful now.

Have fun!

Morrigan Lynnea
04-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I've been bellydancing for about four years and love it. Hope you have fun with it!

Rhia
04-15-2005, 03:19 PM
I decided I was tired of winter, tired of the extra pounds I put on while my Dad was going through cancer treatments last year, and tired of feeling like a mousy frump (to the point I was thinking about making "Mouse" my faire name). Sooooo.. I decided to take some radical steps! Firstly, I'm signing up for Belly Dancing classes starting next week

...(snip)

So? How was class?
Did you enjoy it?

Wolves Lady
04-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Loved it! Had my second class last night, different instructor, and she really gave us a workout!! I think I'm addicted already. :D

I did discover I have two left hips to go with my two left feet, but slowly I am getting the hang of it. The teacher is moving things right along - our class is already learning a choreographed routine to drums, and those drop-releases get tough!

Rhia
04-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Loved it! Had my second class last night, different instructor, and she really gave us a workout!! I think I'm addicted already. :D

I did discover I have two left hips to go with my two left feet, but slowly I am getting the hang of it. The teacher is moving things right along - our class is already learning a choreographed routine to drums, and those drop-releases get tough!

Yea!!

It's an addiction, definitely!
Make sure you keep us updated!