PDA

View Full Version : New Pope

Phoenix McHeit
04-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Found here: http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/4392136/detail.html

Bells, White Smoke Signal Newly Elected Pope

POSTED: 5:56 am EDT April 19, 2005
UPDATED: 12:11 pm EDT April 19, 2005

There's a new leader of the 1.1 billion member Catholic church.

White smoke came from the chimney above the Sistine Chapel.

Cardinals met at the Sistine Chapel to pick the 265th pope.

Initially, it was uncertain whether it was the white smoke that would signal election of a new pope. But the ringing bells indicated that the election of a new pope has occurred.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoenix McHeit
04-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Update from same source:

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany is the new pope. He will be Pope Benedict XVI.

biker
04-19-2005, 01:55 PM
why don't the popes ever use their real names??? Do they really need to recycle?

Lady Laurel
04-19-2005, 01:59 PM
By reading his profile on CNN. He does not sound like he is much more progressive.
They said he was against the homsexualism and women having progressive roles in the church.

Magdalene
04-19-2005, 02:17 PM
why don't the popes ever use their real names??? Do they really need to recycle?

It became a tradition when one of the popes, whose birth name was Mercury, after the Roman god, changed his to something 'more Christian'. Another pope, born Peter (traditionally, there will only be one pope by the name of Peter) changed his to not 'take glory' from St. Peter, the first pope (in Catholic tradition). It just wound up becoming the thing to do. Kinda like how most of us wenches don't use our birth names at faire.

RichardMacHugely
04-19-2005, 02:20 PM

They used to use their own names, but in the 7th Century a man named after a pagan god was elected Pope, and he decided to change it to something more fitting for his office. He was apparently the first Pope to assume the office under an "assumed" name. It has been tradition for the new Pope to take a new name since Gregory V in the 10th Century (I believe), but there is no rule about his. A Pope certainly could use his own name if he wanted, but the choosing of the new name is considered to be symbolic of what kind of Pope the new guy will try to be. The only name that is traditionally out of bounds is Peter. And Jesus too, I suppose. I don't think there has ever been a Pope Jesus.

Eric McTavish
04-19-2005, 03:27 PM
By reading his profile on CNN. He does not sound like he is much more progressive.
They said he was against the homsexualism and women having progressive roles in the church.

he was also a member of the Nazi Youth... but we'll have to see what his plans are, I for one am willing to give him the benifet of the doubt...till he does something stupis (like shuffle around pedifile priests etc...)

Lucy
04-19-2005, 03:42 PM
Kinda like how most of us wenches don't use our birth names at faire.

What?!?!?! Well I never! :P Ya mean my name really ISN'T Lucy???

Ysobelle
04-19-2005, 06:58 PM

he was also a member of the Nazi Youth... but we'll have to see what his plans are, I for one am willing to give him the benifet of the doubt...till he does something stupis (like shuffle around pedifile priests etc...)

Oh, boy! Nazi Youth-- my favourite! I can't WAIT! WOOT!

Sigh.

Anyway, I really wanna see a Pope Bob. Or Pope Jimmy. That'd rock.

Magdalene
04-19-2005, 07:10 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Cardinal_Ratzinger

OK, folks--I'm not a fan of the new Pope the way I was John Paul II (I will admit my first reaction was, "He's just an interim Pope..."), but I will concede that being forced to join an organization by a totalarian regime when you're still a child is a far cry from doing so voluntarily of your own free will as an adult. And given John Paul II's experiences with the Nazis, do you really think he'd have trusted this man so much if he thought he'd really meant it?

Lennie
04-19-2005, 10:48 PM

Honestly, most, if not all children in Germany during the time were involved in the Hitler Youth in some way. In many cases, it was required that the children join (I'm not saying the Hitler Youth was a good thing, but there was a good chance he didn't join because he wanted to.)

Isabelle Fawkes
04-20-2005, 12:50 AM
This one I received from "Clean Laffs"today...

Doug went to the eye doctor for an examination because he was
having trouble reading the newspaper. "Now that you're over
40," the doctor told him, "you've developed a condition called
'presbyopia,' in which the lens of your eye can no longer
focus as well as it used to."

Seeing his worried look, the doctor tried to be upbeat. "Con-
gratulations!" he said. "You're now officially a presbyope!"

Doug leaned over and asked seriously, "If that means I'm no
longer a Roman Catholic, do I still have to go to Confession?"

[This one is in honor of the new Pope Benedict XVI.]

Eric McTavish
04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Honestly, most, if not all children in Germany during the time were involved in the Hitler Youth in some way. In many cases, it was required that the children join (I'm not saying the Hitler Youth was a good thing, but there was a good chance he didn't join because he wanted to.)

now now...I did say I was giving him the benifet of the doubt and I didnt say he was an active Nazi either...
I am disapointed in his stance on abortion, condom use to stop AIDS, Homosexuality, Womens rights, rights of the priests, his stand on birth control in general, his belief that catholics who vote for liberals shouldn't be given sacruments or any cathlic politician who acted against the church's position shouldn't be given sacruments as well, and his ideal of returning the Catholic church to it's "real" teachings it sounds like hes rooted back in the 13th century...but as I said Im giving him the benifet of the doubt we'll have to wait and see what he does.

Drea Beth
04-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I have to ask...

Why are so many people who are not Roman Catholic so concerned about what the Pope will or will not do with the doctrins and policies of Roman Catholicism? The sole concern for His Holiness is the care of the Roman Catholic church. He is a spiritual leader, not a political leader.

Just curious.

rosefaeries
04-20-2005, 01:05 PM
So many people are concerned, because like it or not, the Pope does have influence over what happens in this world. The Pope has a great deal of influence. And not just in the catholic religion. Look at everything that Pope John Paul II accomplished.

Ysobelle
04-20-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm concerned because I support a woman's right to choose, and when one of the world's major religious leaders promises to take a hardline stance against it, that affects millions upon millions of women. Not to mention policymakers. We live in a world where laws are passed to allow pharmacists to decide if a woman can get the drugs her doctor's prescribed for her. You think that sort of thing needs more support?

And I'm sorry-- millions of followers of the Catholic Church live in Africa, which is being DECIMATED by AIDS, and all the Church can say is, "Well, condoms don't work, and the Lord doesn't like them." So millions more will get infected and die.

No, these things may not affect me directly. But then again, they might. I don't know. There are other issues as well. But the point is, I don't live in a vacuum. I'm a member of a religious minority, and a woman. And I already felt threatened by the Catholic Church before this-- the new Pope isn't going to help matters.

ambar
04-20-2005, 01:16 PM
I am Christian but not Catholic. I can only speak as to why am I concerned.

It is human nature to judge a group of people by example. To many americans, muslim = bomber even though the religion itself is peaceful. To many people, americans = behavior of current president. Look at how much of the foreign press calls the US citizens "cowboys" even though there are protestors against violence in the US.

In that same vein, people will judge Christians by the Pope. And my personal opinion is this one is a train wreck waiting to happen.

****** Caviats: 1. I did not say all people think this way - just some. 2. This is just my opinion.

shadow
04-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Catholics get uncle fester as new pope

Millions flock to judaeism

Nikki got a place for me to sit at the synagouge?

Eric McTavish
04-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Catholics get uncle fester as new pope

Millions flock to judaeism

Nikki got a place for me to sit at the synagouge?

Well we shouldnt worry...according to End of Times scholars this is the second to the last pope before the End... :shock:

shadow
04-20-2005, 02:04 PM
well thats comforting
:twisted:

ambar
04-20-2005, 02:12 PM
:roll: So what number "end of the world" is this one? We have had at least, what, 4 or 5 to date?

Eric McTavish
04-20-2005, 02:15 PM
:roll: So what number "end of the world" is this one? We have had at least, what, 4 or 5 to date?

Ah but all those were false... Im quoteing the Jesuit Scholars.

shadow
04-20-2005, 02:23 PM
the bible said beware my coming like a theif in the night you shall not no the day or the hour at which I come.

And they still try to figure it out.

some people are dumber than dirt.

ambar
04-20-2005, 02:26 PM
*snicker* Please forgive me for not holding my breath.......

"Its the end of the world as we know it, it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." *grin*

Nikki - I agree with you. There are too many people who will listen and use this new Pope's words to make things worse than they already are. Condoms, right to choice, freedom to love as you will, birth control, women's rights - just to name a few. This is part of why I think the guy is a train wreck.

'Nise
04-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Prophesy of St Malachy I beleive... :D I like that sort of thing. According to the prophesy there is this pope which (excuse my latin) is the Gloria Olivo. Whether that is the olive tree, peace, or he really like olives is up for debate.

The interesting thing is that he chose the name Benidict. The name of the pope often reflects what his policies are or the kind of pope he wished to emulate.

Pope Benidict the 15th was a peacemaker. Since olive branches are a sign of peace I find it very interesting that this Pope chose that name. Whether he is harkening to the prophesy or not I wonder what sort of peacemaker he might be. I have a feeling that he is going to be a more politically active pope then John Paul, at least on the higher level.

The remainder of the prophest is that the next pope is Peter the Roman and then is says "In persecutione extrema S.R.E. sedebit Petrus Romanus, qui pascet oves in multis tribulationibus: quibus transactis civitas septicollis diruetur, & Judex tremędus judicabit populum suum. Finis.
(In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people. The End.)"

It's interesting to look at at least...
Love
'Nise

daBaroness
04-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Actually - the Pope does wield a considerable amount of political clout - as he is considered one of the world's most-powerful leaders. And as has been said - look at the influence of Pope John Paul II had on the world - political and spiritual. In addition, the Roman Catholic Church - being the oldest Christian denomination has long been woven deeply into the politics and power of world history - it was the church that was keeper of much of the knowledge - religious and secular - particularly during the Dark Ages. More than any other religious leader - the Pope carries great power outside the church.

Eric McTavish
04-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Prophesy of St Malachy I beleive... :D I like that sort of thing.

yup thats the one I was thinking ov thanks Luv! So see time to make all things right with The Lord(tm) and be richeous-like 'n stuff.

Lady Laurel
04-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Ah but all those were false... Im quoteing the Jesuit Scholars.

So when are they saying the end of time will come "sigh" sounds like a nostrodomous routine to me.

Like Shadow said not one knows the time of his coming. It could be tomorrow morning while I am in the shower. :wink:

Eric McTavish
04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
It could be tomorrow morning while I am in the shower. :wink:

That would be my frist choice!

Lady Laurel
04-20-2005, 03:08 PM
:oops: Yep talking about a good show. ugggg My mother always said make sure you have clean underwear on just incase thier is a fire and you need to get out quickly.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-20-2005, 07:44 PM
I don't think there has ever been a Pope Jesus.

Just a guess, but I'd think instances of "Pope Menachem" have also been few and far between. :)

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Why are so many people who are not Roman Catholic so concerned about what the Pope will or will not do with the doctrins and policies of Roman Catholicism? The sole concern for His Holiness is the care of the Roman Catholic church. He is a spiritual leader, not a political leader.

Yeah, cause religion never interferes with politics. :roll: