PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Bill Targets 'Gay' Books

Eric McTavish
04-27-2005, 11:09 AM
"I dont agrre with that book so you shouldn't read it either,,,think of the Childern!"
:augh: I give up...I quit...stop the world I wanna get off!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/26/eveningnews/main691106.shtml

Alabama Bill Targets 'Gay' Books
MONTGOMERY, Ala., April 26, 2005
Alabama Book Ban Bill

Books by Tennessee Williams, Alice Walker, Gore Vidal, Truman Capote and others would be banned under an Alabama bill being considered. (Photo: CBS)

"It's not healthy for America, it doesn't fit what we stand for. And they will do whatever it takes to reach their goal."
Gerald Allen,
Alabama State Representative

Ala. State Rep. Gerald Allen, right, tells CBS' Mark Strassmann he's alarmed over the "homosexual agenda." (Photo: CBS)

(CBS) A college production tells the story of Matthew Sheppard, a student beaten to death because he was gay.

And soon, it could be banned in Alabama.

Republican Alabama lawmaker Gerald Allen says homosexuality is an unacceptable lifestyle. As CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassmann reports, under his bill, public school libraries could no longer buy new copies of plays or books by gay authors, or about gay characters.

"I don't look at it as censorship," says State Representative Gerald Allen. "I look at it as protecting the hearts and souls and minds of our children."

Books by any gay author would have to go: Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote and Gore Vidal. Alice Walker's novel "The Color Purple" has lesbian characters.

Allen originally wanted to ban even some Shakespeare. After criticism, he narrowed his bill to exempt the classics, although he still can't define what a classic is. Also exempted now Alabama's public and college libraries.

Librarian Donna Schremser fears the "thought police," would be patrolling her shelves.

"And so the idea that we would have a pristine collection that represents one political view, one religioius view, that's not a library,'' says Schremser.

"I think it's an absolutely absurd bill," says Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

First Amendment advocates say the ban clearly does amount to censorship.

"It's a Nazi book burning," says Potok. "You know, it's a remarkable piece of work."

But in book after book, Allen reads what he calls the "homosexual agenda,"
and he's alarmed.

"It's not healthy for America, it doesn't fit what we stand for," says Allen. "And they will do whatever it takes to reach their goal."

He says he sees this as a line in the sand.

In Alabama's legislature, the reviews of Allen's bill are still out on whether to lower this curtain for good.

Rhia
04-27-2005, 11:27 AM
I can't decide if I want to cry or throw up...

and just last week I was explaining to the roomie about the ALA's top 100 Banned book list - he didn't believe me....

*sigh*

...anybody wanna start a commune WAY away from everyone?

maybe we could cecede....

Nevada
04-27-2005, 11:42 AM
shouldnt it be the parents responsibility to protect their childrens morales and not the govt.?

Lady Laurel
04-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Lets just burn all the great literature off our time :!: :evil:

What a bunch of asshats.

Eric McTavish
04-27-2005, 12:04 PM
I really need to stop reading my news-lists I'm going to need anti-depressents soon :?

Lady Laurel
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
really need to stop reading my news-lists I'm going to need anti-depressents soon

Right there with ya Eric, I just wonder what world these people are from. :?

Ysobelle
04-27-2005, 12:31 PM
So you guys are joining the ACLU, right? I mean, you're doing something, aren't you?

Eric McTavish
04-27-2005, 12:35 PM
So you guys are joining the ACLU, right? I mean, you're doing something, aren't you?

been a member for years but it dosent help wehen idiots like this are still being put into office by even bigger Idiots... :shock:

daBaroness
04-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks "W"!

You've made the climate just perfect for every hate-mongering, homophob in the country with your smoke-and-mirrors, let's create a non-issue issue that will stir up fear and internal strife so we can carry out our REAL agenda without anyone noticing.

Yep - thanks a whole lot - your kinder, gentler, more compassionate kind of governing is just terrific. :roll:

Captain Stamina
04-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks "W"!:

That's quite a stretch, even for you Baroness.

Following that logic, let's thank b. klinton for teaching kids that oral sex isn't sex.

How about the reason we have so many pedophiles is because of the NAMBLA.

Point the finger where it belongs - at the uptight lawmaker that doesn't have a clue about the world around him.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-27-2005, 03:10 PM
I actually think this is great.

This is just the kind of public absurdity needed to make their entire movement implode from the sheer mass of their idoicy.

Three or four more nazi-like initiatives and I predict a total flame-out. :singdanc:

gray skies are gonna clear up, put on a happy face....

daBaroness
04-27-2005, 06:53 PM
I stand by what I said. Not because I hold "W" solely and singularly responsible - but because by selling even a small portion of the republican party to the Christian right - he sent a clear message that the line between church and state is now blurrier than in any time in recent memory. That is what scares me and so many of my friends who don't fit (and don't want to fit) into an increasingly narrow definition of "decent" society.

Why should the sexual orientations, preferences, habits or lifestyles of consenting adults in this country (or any other) be of any business or concern to anyone else? Why is one portion of the population so driven and intent on restricting the rights and freedoms of another portion of the population? Wouldn't most people today tell you that making one set of rules for one group of people because of something like the color of their skin, their religion or their gender be descriminatory at the very least?

Why should any segment of our society have to fight for rights guaranteed them as a birthright under the constitution? Why should I as a woman be paid less than a man for the same (or better) work? Why should my mixed-race sons have to defend or justify their presence in an upscale suburban neighborhood?

I lay the responsibility at W's feet because as the leader of the country in which I live, I believe it is his responsibility to uphold and defend the rights of all of our citizens - not the ones who contribute to his campaign, or the white ones, or the "right" ones of color, or the straight ones, or the celebrity ones, or the wealthy ones. Every-freakin one! At the very least, if there are a group of people he doesn't support because of his own personal beliefs - he's still required by the constitution to defend their rights.

I just find it very dangerous when the leader of the most powerful nation in the world talks about bringing basic human rights and freedoms to Iraqis a world away from us when justifying a war in which our young people are put in harm's way; while out the other side of his mouth is a condemnation of a group of people in which he espouses taking away their rights rights and freedoms because he doesn't agree with their "choice" of lifestyle.

He wouldn't get away with such blatent hypocracy if it were directed at people of color, or at women. He'd be shot and boiled in oil if he came out and declared that because he is a born-again Christian and he interprets the Bible as telling him women shouldn't vote, work outside the home, be stoned to death if they bear a child out-of-wedlock, must be subservient in all things to men - particularly their husbands. Or what if he suddenly decided that his belief that white people are God's chosen and people of color are to be servants or slaves of the chosen? No person of color, no female would stand for the rights we've worked so hard to enjoy being denied us.

But sexual orientation is one of the last great bastions of acceptable descrimination and denial of human rights in this country. Sure - people of color and women are still fighting for true equal rights - but those before us fought hard to force the law to be on our side - guaranteeing those rights. And they fought against the same types of justifications, excuses and downright bullshit that the GLBT community is now fighting. The biggest weapon against allowing people their rights is fear.

My question always returns to the same thing ... what the hell difference does it make in the fuctioning of the United States if I rub body parts with a man, a woman or my freakin' self in the privacy of my own home? Does the fact that my gay male friends find other gay males attractive as life partners really affect national security? Is our economy going to collapse if two women who love and are committed to one another raise children together in a loving home?

Maybe it's just me - but I just keep coming up with the answer "NO!"

And by taking such a strong public stance - demonizing homosexuals and encouraging the denial of their rights because of his own religious beliefs sets a dangerous standard and opens the door to denial of all sorts of civil liberties to all sorts of societal subgroups.

We do not have a state religion in this country for a reason. Comparing Bill Clinton's denial of getting head from an intern and the systematic denial of equitable priviledges and rights to homosexuals is like comparing apples and oranges. They're both sorta round ... that's it! I still think "W" is merely the vehicle for the agenda of others, but vehicle he is. By being the mouthpiece and publically supporting discrimination against a segment of the population he's sworn to protect he's sending us all a message that we could be next.

He doesn't have to like it or even agree with it - he just has to uphold it and for many of us - he's failed that charge.

Phoenix McHeit
04-27-2005, 08:03 PM
daB......

I'm speechless....except for one word.

BRAVA

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-27-2005, 08:24 PM
I think I've finally figured out why Dubya is so hell-bent on ushering forth a Homocaust.

If the following pictures are any indication, it's a case of self-loathing... :rotfl:

http://img248.echo.cx/img248/7860/upunglove28co.jpg
http://img191.echo.cx/img191/3658/younglove2gy.jpg
Looks like Bush finally got his ManDate...

Buxom Wench
04-27-2005, 08:40 PM
daB......

I'm speechless....except for one word.

BRAVA

just one more Phee - DITTO !!!

Katie O'Connell
04-27-2005, 10:44 PM
:bow: :cheer:

Wow, Baronness....that was a beautiful thing. So well worded and thought out, I have to bow to you. You are amazing.

I could not have expressed it better--mostly because when I try, I get too angy and worked up just thinking about it.

The only thing I personally dissagree with is the use of the word 'vehicle.' I don't regard W as a 'vehicle.' I think he's a TOOL. :wink:

And Cyrano, thanks for the laugh. :D You know how exotic and charming those foriegn men can be.

**SAVE THE LIBRARIES!!**

Ysobelle
04-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Looks like Bush finally got his ManDate...

Ow. That's the second time you've blown my sinuses out.

Thanks.

engtutorwench333
04-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Great tap-dancing Christ, have we begun another Inquistion? Thought I was going to have a nice stress free b-day. Oh well, looks like the book burning police are here, they want my copy of Huckleberry Finn.

Dmitri
04-28-2005, 10:34 AM
you know... banning books is so gay... :wink:

Artos O'Dalriada
04-28-2005, 10:42 AM
gee,how about we just outlaw reading altogether, and only show on TV what is "morally appropriate".....so much for freedoms and rights.....sheesh...so much for the supposed support of diversity and culture. free country my ass

Pathos
04-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Personally I don't think this is a big deal. It's not like this is a new thing. We go through this shit every few years. It'll blow over.

Just in case though...I'm starting to memorize a few books. (Ever read Fahrenheit 451?) :roll:

Dmitri
04-28-2005, 11:01 AM
See Eric... this is what I was talking about the other week... You post this type of shit. Shit that in the real world will NEVER happen... Shit that people say and talk about.

And you start an uproar here. Everyone gets riled up and starts screaming because a couple of nuts say they need to burn books...

People yell and scream injustice, cry that our freedoms are gone... and how it's time to leave the country.

Guys, no one is burning books... No one is gonna take your rights away... these people get obscenity and then they go away...

get a grip...

Apropos
04-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Thank you D!!! Your toes are worshiped again.

Eric McTavish
04-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Hell, I just like posting thing that strike me as interesting...things I think others would be interested in reading, I’m just shocked that this guy was elected! I've always believed the best way to make sure thins don't happen to stay informed. If this is something that will never happen why is this bill even being considered? That means the bill has made it to committee, even though I sure this bill will die there aren't you even slightly surprised that something like this even that far?

Pathos
04-28-2005, 11:37 AM
I remember this happening when I was a kid in the 70's. My Dad got into it. He's a writer so naturally he took offense and ended up duking it out with a few of the measures' supporters. No books were banned then and none will be banned now. Same old story.

Dmitri
04-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Appy... I have... other things that would be much more pleasantly worshipped...

Eric... I'm not saying it's not interesting... It's also sad... I'm not even mad or anything like that.

But dude know that when stuff like this is posted how everyone here is quick to raise their collective fist and cry tryant...

Frankly, what I find interesting, funny and sad at the same time is the predictable "feeding frenzy" that a post like this stirs up...

Trust me dude, I'm not mad that you're chumming the water, I'm appalled by the lack of insight of the sharks. :twisted:

daBaroness
04-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Awwww - thanks goils :oops:

And Cyranno - you're my hero de jour ... I saw the report of W and the Sheik last night and just fell over laughing at the irony of my post! Yep - Shakespeare was right ... "methinks the prez doth protest too much!"

And whodathunk he'd go for the dark, robed, Arab type?! :lol:

Ysobelle
04-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Two things.

Books won't get banned? Are you crazy? The state says "Get them out of our library!" and they're gone. Are they banned? Technically, no. Can you find them easily? Also, no. And you're okay with that? I'm not. People seemed to think not so long ago that creationism would never rear its narrow little head in schools again. And it hasn't-- it's called "Intelligent Design" now.

Thing the second: yes, the issue enrages me. But what enrages me more is the atmpsphere in which it's happening: the Religious Right knows they have the most conservative government in years to back them, and they're taking their show on the road to more and more places, ideas, and bedrooms. Where does it end? When do they accuse the preacher's wife and end the witch trials?

Foster families threatened in Texas, books banned in Alabama, a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage-- it's all part of the same thing: this administration standing behind those who want to legislate morality, and telling them, "Of course we can do this! And anyone who doesn't agree with us is unamerican! Bring it on!"

Rhia
04-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Republican Alabama lawmaker Gerald Allen says homosexuality is an unacceptable lifestyle. As CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassmann reports, under his bill, public school libraries could no longer buy new copies of plays or books by gay authors, or about gay characters.

Y is right... banned out right - dont count on it...

But out of public schools? you betcha! Easily enough done really - one way or another.

School librarians have a limited (and frequently shrinking) materials budget.
If there is a particular book that is getting a lot of uproar, they don't get it.
Enough parents bitch and moan, the school boards will pull it; and if they won't it "mysteriously" dissappears off the shelves, in the pocket/purse of some well-meaning but grossly uninformed parent and the library then has the decision of whether to spend their funds on buying ANOTHER copy that will mostly likely go missing, or on something else.

this bill specifically targets NEW PURCHASES in PUBLIC SCHOOL libraries - I would not be at all surprised if this got a lot of support....

And if you wanna REALLY get miffed, check out the ALA's list of Top 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books (http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm)

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Great tap-dancing Christ, have we begun another Inquistion?
Well, yes. But unlike their Spainard bretheren, the American Fundies started an Inquisition that everyone expected. :-)

Yet another sign of the apocolypse: Dmitri and Pathos more or less in agreement. :shock:

Gentlemen, while your contentions that crazy shit like this always happens but nothing serious ever comes of it is sort of correct, what you are overlooking is that it's precisely the hue and cry that you decry that ultimately is instrumental in preventing the crazy shit from reaching fruition.

If the time ever came when some fundie fucknut suggested burning books and there wasn't a massive uproar of dissent, well, then they just might go ahead and do it.

It's part of that whole "eternal vigilance being the price of freedom" concept.

Apropos
04-28-2005, 04:30 PM
When I was growing up, it was ban Tom and Huck. Ban any book that used the word nigger. I still get a kick when I am in the library and spot those books on the shelves. Someone is always going to want to do something to get a reaction. (To which it did) But overall, I trust the fact that reasonably sane people will be higher up in the chain and eat those little minded people for lunch. Checks and Balances.

Pathos
04-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Yet another sign of the apocolypse: Dmitri and Pathos more or less in agreement. :shock:
Don't worry...I'm sure he still disagrees with me. 8)

it's precisely the hue and cry that you decry
And I don't believe I decried anything Dude. I just pointed out that this is nothing new.

Larkspur
04-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Cyranno, thank you immensely for the post regarding eternal vigilence. Oftentimes that phrase is only applied to our troop movements elsewhere, but it absolutely applies to the homefront as well.

You want the rights, you must continue the fight our forefathers began. Being free is a responsibility AND a right.

rosefaeries
04-28-2005, 07:11 PM
:shock: :shock: Would you believe "Where’s Waldo?" is on that list??

Rhia
04-28-2005, 07:27 PM

That one BAFFLES me!

Actually, what I want to get is a title that Amazon carries - it's a blurb on each of the books on the list, talking about why it's on there....

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-28-2005, 10:08 PM

That one BAFFLES me!

Probaly for promoting homosexuality. I mean, have you seen his outfit? ;)

I did manage to find the following webpage (http://www.love2learn.net/redflag/rfchild.htm) which offered one possible explanation. It's the "Red Flag List - Childrens Books" page from the "Favorite Resources for Catholic Homeschoolers" website, or as I like to call it, "Tools for Teaching Ignorance". The rant on Waldo is amusing, but the objections expressed against the other two books are particulary ponderous. I guess any idiot can procreate.

Branwen
04-29-2005, 12:12 AM
That's it!!!! I've had enough!!!
If I EVER have any Childern other than my pets, I'm going to HOME SCHOOL. To hell with public school systems, to hell with Standardized Tests, to hell with Bigotry and discrimnation. I am SO TIRED of people bashing everything in this World. I DON"T see how in this WORLD that 2 individuals who want to dedicate their lives to each other, who love each other, and are willing to stay with each other until they both die, NO MATTER if they are Male & Male, Male & Female, or Female & Female can DESTROY the MORAL FABRIC of the Nation. Honestly, peopleget off of your freaking High Horse and quite trying to live my life or any one else's for that matter. I don't need you to but into my life, into my Friend's life, or into my Domestic Partners life. I don't need you to tell me I'm going to Hell because I don't believe in your GOD, because I BELIEVE that EVERYONE should have the basic RIGHT to live whith whomever they want to live with, and if you call it a Marriage, a Domestic Union, a Civil Union who cares. Homosexuality is not going to destroy the world, there are a number of people in FEAR of their lives because of the narrow minded thinking of some bigotted Asshat. As a brief Native American History Lesson. Native American's once believed that Men who behaved as Women were blessed by the Gods. They also believed that Women who behaved as Men were also blessed by the Gods. They encouraged them to perform their duties as both a representative for the Male & Female side of the Circle. Men who preferred the company of other Men were honored, treated and respected as a Female. They also went hunting with the Men, were allowed into the Kiva with the Men (that'a BIg NO NO with Women), and performed many religious Ceremonies. A Female who preferred the company of other Women went hunting with Men, went on War Parties with men (although many times they were still NOT allowed in the Kiva unless purified, something to do with "blood" :wink: ). Both Men & Women had wives/husbands along with their preferred partners and many had children. How the Early settlers could call the Native Americans "Animals, or Savage", when what we are doing now is more Savage & Barbaric to our basic rights. Not withstanding the crap that we did to them through out the years.
I have read a number of the books that the person wants to ban. I find NOTHING wrong with those books. Can he say that he has read them? Can he say that he goes to bed at night with a clear conscience knowing that he is just further spreading fear and intolerance. Not only that, what kind of values is he teaching his children? If a person doesn't want to be exposed to those books then DON'T read them. Don't prevent other people from having access to them. The idea of the United States of America is Freedom. Whether it be Religious or Political. Keep your Religion driven Politics away from me and my FREEDOM. There are Men & Women over Seas to this day that are fighting for a DIFFERENT Countries FREEDOM. The same freedom that we seem to take advantage of and want to limit each other from having. There are Women who don't even know how to read, write, or even know what their name looks like when written down. There are women that have been killed, raped, beaten, and worse because they have decided to stand up against the Regime and run for Political Office on the Middle East. Why is it that we can be the purveyors of Religious & Political Freedom in a Foreign Country. But, we have people in our own back yard wanting & willing to take that away that basic right from us.

And the killer of it all is that there are people WILLING to let it happen.
:rant:
:augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh:
:vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum:

:zen:
Okay, my vent is about over. I'm going to go home, hug my cat. Plan my weekend and just hope that tomorrow will be a bit better. Maybe someone will wake up. If not, maybe I need to get out of my Pollyanna beliefs and start living in the real world, as depressing as it is.
:sigh:

Artos O'Dalriada
04-29-2005, 09:35 AM
i agree with several of the posts so far. so far, nothing has happened BECAUSE people have pitched a fit about it. piss off the masses and have a serious problem, specially around re-election time. by the way branwen, you forgot one in your def. of mosquito.....accountants.

Nevada
04-29-2005, 09:57 AM
so if I get this right...he wants to ban any book that even mentions homosexuality correct? If so, then the bible (man shalt not lie with man nor woman with woman) and the dictionary and thesaurus needs to be listed also.

Pathos
04-29-2005, 10:12 AM
so if I get this right...he wants to ban any book that even mentions homosexuality correct? If so, then the bible (man shalt not lie with man nor woman with woman) and the dictionary and thesaurus needs to be listed also.
Let's keep in mind...no one is talking about "banning" anything. The actual quote from the article is:

"under his bill, public school libraries could no longer buy new copies of plays or books by gay authors, or about gay characters"

Not banning...just not buying new copies. Is it right? No. But it's still not the same as banning books.

Just saying...

Dmitri
04-29-2005, 10:13 AM
The Bible has more, Gay, incest, murder, and bestiality that any other SINGLE WORK OF FICTION in History...

therefore the bible is GAY...

Lady Sarah
04-29-2005, 10:17 AM
it's also written by MEN of FAITH, not by the hand of God herself. (yes, tongue is firmly in cheek). Therefore, the word of god is open to male interpretation.

Why do I emphasize male? because according to the bible, women cannot spread the word of god, women have been the root of all evil and temptation, etc.

I'm not male bashing, just saying... Before people take the bible to be god's law, they should remember that it's written by mankind.

Artos O'Dalriada
04-29-2005, 10:19 AM
right at the beginning of the article it does mention books being banned, and later on it mentions that books by authors listed in said article would have to go.... now, i'm not sayin that it means bein banned or not bein able to buy books by those authors, just noticin what it said.....

Edit: would probably need to see the bill itself to see what this guy's actual plan is.

Nevada
04-29-2005, 10:29 AM
whats funny is I thought it had in the old testament that when the men/rabbis went to war that the rabbis wives took over religious duties until their return..okay now I have to dig out my bible and look for that section again...

Lady Sarah
04-29-2005, 10:40 AM
whats funny is I thought it had in the old testament that when the men/rabbis went to war that the rabbis wives took over religious duties until their return..okay now I have to dig out my bible and look for that section again...

rabbis aren't christian, 'vada ~S~
sorry for the muck. I tend to get a litlte miffed at the christians and catholics selectively using bits and pieces of the bible for their agendas and then foolishly forgetting such things as you've mentioned.

Artos O'Dalriada
04-29-2005, 10:42 AM
nope, not Christian, but I do believe they still go by the Old Testament.

Pathos
04-29-2005, 11:11 AM
right at the beginning of the article it does mention books being banned
That's the writer of the article putting it that way. When they actually say the intentions of the bill it doesn't say "banned" anywhere.

Artos O'Dalriada
04-29-2005, 11:56 AM
like i said, wasn't sure which way they were tryin to go with it, i'd be better off lookin at the wording of the bill to get the idea of it.

Cyranno DeBoberac
04-29-2005, 01:17 PM
The Bible has more, Gay, incest, murder, and bestiality that any other SINGLE WORK OF FICTION in History...

Hmmmmm, maybe it's worth reading after all.

Up until now I've only found it useful as a source of rolling papers and as a spanking implement. :twisted:

Dmitri
04-29-2005, 01:24 PM
The Bible IS the best selling work of fiction in history...

thungar
04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
I can not stand the idea that we would allow books to be banned at all. I feel that is our right to cry foul about this. I do not care if the book was written by a Gay or Homosexual I look for the writing I look for the story, and for what I get out of the book. I think that we just need to teach our kids that no matter what you should be free to think and do what you want. Free thought, free speech and a free mind are what is needed in this world, not censorship and Nazi like power battles. Can't we all just get along?

Artemisia
04-29-2005, 02:56 PM
This is just the kind of public absurdity needed to make their entire movement implode from the sheer mass of their idoicy.

Gentlemen, while your contentions that crazy shit like this always happens but nothing serious ever comes of it is sort of correct, what you are overlooking is that it's precisely the hue and cry that you decry that ultimately is instrumental in preventing the crazy shit from reaching fruition.
A non-miniacal thumbs up :aok:
It will blow over because the majority of congress, thank goodness, rallies the cry of "Are you daft, man?". Plus, they know they won't get re-elected in our ever changing and more accepting America. The fundies are scared, plenty scared that their 1900's world view is finally coming to an end. (Yes, I'm hopeful)

:does happy dance with Cyranno:

Rhia
04-29-2005, 03:10 PM
It will blow over because the majority of congress, thank goodness, rallies the cry of "Are you daft, man?". Plus, they know they won't get re-elected in our ever changing and more accepting America. The fundies are scared, plenty scared that their 1900's world view is finally coming to an end. (Yes, I'm hopeful)

I'm still not convinced it WON'T pass in some form or another...

I will point out, this is not the US CONGRESS, this is the ALABAMA Legislature
not that there's anything wrong with Alabama, but it's easier to get this sort of biased legislation through a state congress than the federal congress

Artemisia
04-29-2005, 03:23 PM
I will point out, this is not the US CONGRESS, this is the ALABAMA Legislature not that there's anything wrong with Alabama, but it's easier to get this sort of biased legislation through a state congress than the federal congress

Yeah, I know but if for some reason it does pass (shudder) eventually this type of situation will have to go federal. Too new and too much controversy with it. (Yep, still hopeful).

Ysobelle
04-30-2005, 01:04 AM
While I'd like to agree with most of the sentiment, I have to ask this: if you'd had the PATRIOT Act explained to you six years ago, do you think you'd have said, "That's just crazy talk!"

We live under a vastly different administration from any we've had before. I'm not counting any free-speech chickens.