PDA

View Full Version : semi-resurecting old post, re: animal totems

Constance Innuendo
05-05-2005, 02:44 PM
ok, I have long suspected that a spider (specifically Brown recluse) is one of my totems. I feel a little backstory is in order.

When I was 6, I was bitten and was nearly blinded in my left eye (bite on lower eyelid).

I was bitten on the ankle when I was 19.
in 2003 two weeks before TRF started, I dreamed that I was at faire and forgot to check my boots before putting them on and got bit again, when I called my parents the next day I found out my dad had been bitten and was in the hospital (complications due to also being diabetic)

was bitten on my leg by an ordinary spider at Trf in Nov, had an allergic reaction (pain swelling fever headache) that bite healed really quickly and thanksgiving weekend I was bitten in the same spot, this time again by a brown recluse.

All three previous bites, the squashed spider was available for confirmation. . . (yes I know how unlikely my story is from a medical standpoint)

Last week I woke up to go to work and there was a swollen white, itchy blister on the side of my left breast. I couldn't find a spider. . .but I think I know what the bites look and feel like by now.

I feel like someone or something is trying desperately to get my attention. . .but I keep missing it. I want to know what it is I'm missing here. I'm familiar with most traditional connotations of spiders. . . but nothing seems to jump out at me. If anyone has any suggestions or insights into this matter, they would be greatly appreciated:)

Oh btw we also have a HUGE spider with a really spectacular web living in one corner of our living room. We've let it stay there because neither I nor my SO knows how to safely relocate it and neither of us wants to kill it either.

Bonnie Strangeways
05-05-2005, 03:50 PM
I've got a couple of different resources at home. If you like, I'll look them up this evening, and hopefully get back to ya tomorrow.

Might also try google. You can try narrowing the search by "spider - metaphysical, spirtual" and see if you come up with anything there.

Dragonfly
05-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I second that idea. Do a google search for spider totem or something like what was mentioned and just do some reading. I can't remember anything off the top of my head, but if you can maybe sneak in to a bookstore I know that Animal Speak by Ted Andrews has some information, as does another book by DJ Conway who's name escapes me -possibly "Animal energies" (If you go to Amazon.com, it'll probably come up in the "related items you might like" section and you can check it there.)

There's also the totem critter cards, which I have the cards of but not the book, and those have some background as well. I love those cards a lot.

Let us know if anything you find resonates with you! I remember that Spider is credited with weaving the world together...other than that, I draw a blank.
Good luck!

Mayden
05-17-2005, 03:57 PM
While I agree someone is trying to get your attention, I honestly don't feel that it's Spider wanting to be your totem.

However, I do believe an animal that is the foe of Spider is. Start thinking about animals that would normally be an enemy or predator of Spider and start looking into those aspects. What's manifesting in your life and what animals could this be related to?
While generally I think Ted Andrews is a little too fluffy, he writes some wonderful books on animals and magic.

This is sort of my forte, so if I could be any help, just e-mail me.

ambar
05-17-2005, 04:21 PM
To some tribes, spider is credited with climbing to the Sky Chiefs home in the sky and bringing back fire for man after all the other animals were unable to do so.

If the spiders are attacking you, I agree with Mayden. It may not be a totem. Your totem may be an enemy of spider. There could be other reasons as well in the non-totem sphere.

The biggest question to ask is what animal do you feel drawn to? Do you dream of any animal? Is there any animal(s) that you just can't stand not to be around? Not like a pet, but more of a spiritual draw.

Morgana
05-21-2005, 02:49 PM
One of my Favourite sites :
http://www.sayahda.com/cyc.html
It's a great resourse !

Morgana