PDA

View Full Version : The Company Novels

Myfanawy
05-14-2005, 01:29 AM
I don't know if these books have been mentioned here before, but if not, these are definitely worth reading. They're called The Comany Novels, by Kage Baker. (Incidentally, she's very into the Renaissance scene and all things with a historical flair, and apparently is an expert on Elizabethan dialects--I saw her on a TV show about the Dickens Christmas Festival in S.F. awhile back. She lives in San Luis Obispo, CA.)

The basic premise is that this corporation in the 24th century, Dr. Zeus (otherwise known as "The Company") is on a mission, among other things, to collect and save artifacts from the past that would otherwise go lost or destroyed (paintings, musical compositions, literature, etc.,) as well as lost languages, species of extinct plants & animals, and whatnot. To accomplish this, they go back in time and create immortal operatives (cyborgs) who for all the world look like humans (well, they actually used to be humans...) These immortals go through time collecting various items and sending them back to Dr. Zeus. That's the basic premise....the plot gets very thick (she's 5 books into the series), with lots of great characters and a heavy dose of conspiracy. It's basically historical sci-fi, and I'm absolutely hooked on the series. The first book takes place in 1555 England--a great place to begin the series. Here's the list of books:

1. In the Garden of Iden
2. Sky Coyote
3. Mendoza in Hollywood
4. The Graveyard Game
5. The Life of the World to Come

There is also a book of short stories, Black Projects, White Knights: The Company Dossiers, which fills in a lot of background details on various characters and plotlines.

I highly recommend these books. They're highly entertaining reading; the plot always takes an unexpected turn, the combination of history, sci-fi, and fiction is brilliant; and they're just a lot of fun. Happy reading!

Oh, here's Kage Baker's site:
http://www.kagebaker.com/

Regards--Myfanawy

Ysobelle
05-14-2005, 02:26 AM
FIVE BOOKS?

Man, am I behind! Are the later ones in paperback already?

Myfanawy
05-14-2005, 02:53 AM
All up through the 4th are in paperback. You might have trouble finding Mendoza in Hollywood--she's in the process of reprinting with a new publisher. (There's info on her site, updates and whatnot.)

Regards--Myfanawy