PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Ferret Grief? Fuzzy in Distress

Wolves Lady
05-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Woke up Monday to find one of my three fuzzies dead in the corner of the cage, another almost gone (she died last night) and the third frantic but in perfect health. (Top that off with a helluva PMS issue and bad time-of-month cramps = not a good week thus far). Abolutely no warning - all three were fine Sunday PM.

Anyway - Poor Jezebella is now trying to figure out what happened to her friends. The three have been together since they were tiny - about five years. She is acting depressed, and keeps searching for her friends, then laying belly down on the floor with her chin resting refusing to play. Our cats - especially Bart, have been trying to help, and have been keeping her company, but I am worried about her - she is NOT her usual dancing self. The others went so fast, we are watching her for any signs of illness, but I know grief can make an animal prone to even more illness, so I am worried sick about her.

Anyone had any experience with grieving fuzzies? I know it sounds silly - but I'm not even sure how long it tends to last. I could contact our vet, but they see very few ferrets, but most of their clients own only one (then complain they're mean :roll: ).

Odd topic - but I am sure there have got to be some Ferret owners on the board!

AnnaFaerie
05-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm sorry..I don't have any answers for you. I just wanted to extend my sympathy. It is hard to loose a pet, but two at once and unexpected. It's a hard one to go through.

Pet Jezebella for me.

Kae
05-18-2005, 06:51 PM
This happened to a friend of mine. She had 5. Not much you can do but spend time with her and make sure she knows she is wanted. You may call a ferret rescue shelter - they would have better tips. Eventually you will want to get another one and just be careful introducing the two to each other - whole other set of problems. :roll:

Good luck
Kae

Wolves Lady
05-18-2005, 11:18 PM
I had not even thought about ferret rescue- but there is a huge one in our area. Thanks!

I remembered after I wrote the original post that my DH had a stomach bug last Friday that we figure was food poisoning. I am wondering now if it was a virus that the girls could have picked up when he fed them, in which case I am going to have to bleach everything or douse it with Simple Green before I feel better. I took Jess out of her cage in case it was still infected, and put her our bathroom - the one my DH used when sick :augh: . I wish I knew what the incubation period was - now I am even more worried! I also hope cats cannot get whatever killed them.

I did catch Jess and Bart playing together with the toys I tossed in before leaving home, so hopefully she will settle in with him. I'd hate to part with her, but we had already decided that once the ferrets went, we would not replace them - we are not home enough now that DD is getting bigger.

I haven't told my DD yet that the girls are gone, and she has not been home enough to notice. Not something I am looking forward to. :(

Adriana Rose
05-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Just love and cuddle her and let her know that she still has friends.

On another note:
Ferrets can catch any human bug so it is possible that the other babies got the bug that was floating around your house

Also be careful and watch out for Cushings in ferrets. It is a cancer of the lymphatic system and is most of the time unoperable. The poor things loose their hair and some of thier motor skills. My ferret Tigger has it and it doesn't look like he is gonna last much longer. :cry:

Sorry about your babies I hope that your daughter takes their death a well as to be expected.

saphoenixsilver
05-19-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your carpet sharks. We recently had to put down ours due to congenital heart problems, so I know a little bit of how you feel. We've also lost two others to different problems as well. Sometimes ferrets go quickley and without warning, we've had autopsy's done on two of ours that died from mysterious circumstances and they didn't turn up anything. Just love on your remaining one, let her know that she is loved and wanted, and talk to her a lot.

MaidenFaeSnow
05-20-2005, 08:52 AM
I've never had a ferret but I do think they are incredibly adorable. I just had to send one of my fish (bala shark) out to sea (cuz I don't think think they really do swim upside down) this morning. We DO get attached to our pets and I'm sending you hugz for your loss and for friendship to let you know I'm thinking of you and for you to remember that your fuzzy is runnin' around up there havin' a ball under the sun with lots of other fuzzies who have passed :grouphug: