PDA

View Full Version : Project "Wench Wear"

Cerulean Fire
05-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I havent made and thng like Wench Garb befor ( I have made loads of other costumes... Faries, Elves, Queens, Perioud corect garb for nobels ect.) but not any thing like this, So thinking that this may be amusing to any one who would like to follow my progress... or laugh at it..lol here is whats goin on: Holly the Great recruted me to be a Wench, ( VERY kool to my thinkin so far...) and brought over some of her garb, I got the "I want some"s and away we go...
Day 1) picked out fabric after looking through my Humungus :!: pile of fabric old costumes and the like ( if you sew you know which poile I mean) and holding my kitten and lil girl at bay with one hand promptly fell in to a funk and decided I hated every darn peice of cloth in the house :x ...I MUST NEEDS GO AND BUY MOR FABRIC" :D I said to them, the kitten( in her training to be a cat...) looked very uninterested... and my 1 year old daughter said " ah buh - by" very loudly... A few seconds and a hunt for keys later and we were out the door headed to the dreaded " Joanns Fabrics" ( :twisted: evil and hatefull that place is... I ALWAYS spend way too much there..) I came home later ( about 3 hours later) with some delightful heather, cream and black plad, black canvase and heather cotten..... Now the search for a pattern...
Day 2) well i have in my possesion some 32 patterrns so I looked through them and ..... i hated them all :evil: ... i made mock ups of like 4 of them and Nothing ended up like what i wanted so... back to the store... The Only pattern that i liked was out of stock at Jo's and so i went to verious other places to find somthing... setteling on making my own pattern ..( i very sledom use the whole pattern any way so it wasnt that much of a streach) I drafted a simple bodice pattern and made the mock up... CET VOLIOA! 8) i was on my way... to a very bad hang up... Having reciently finished a gown for a friend i was so out of boning. And any one who has tried to wear plastic boning to the fair ( I have gone to fairs for 6 years and have been in garb every time all me made. Just never as any thing other than nobility, don't know why realy) so i ordered steal boning and other such sundries from an online Co. that i love for there service and great products...( to see go here.. www.corsetmaking.com ) Well just so i had some thing to do while i waited, i began the shirt and under skirt... in the heather cotten, the shirt went very well :wink: ... however i think i ended up pulling the skirt apart like 3 times :? ... am setteling on a draw string instead.. i hate knife pleats any way...
this is were i end it for now... if this boars you :P , don't bother to read it. If you want to read it go for it, but i needed a place to rant and vent about it so here it is. more next time... Same garb post same garb .. um time??? ah well batmans over rated any way..lol
ps i know i cant spell... see ya

Tapestry MacGillicuddly
05-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Hey Ceru... keep us posted... I love hearing of the adventures of others in that dreaded house of horrors, otherwise known as Joanne's... I have a serger that I never used. I have fabric I've never cut on, still folded nicely in a drawer, I trashed the sewing machine that was only used a few times in the 20+ years I owned it. It died a horrible death, somehow getting damp and rusted, froze up, went to the dump when I had to weed out stuff to move from Montana back to NY.

Anyway, I can't go into Joanne's anymore unless I have a note from my mother and the judge saying I'm going for craft supplies only and will NOT go near fabric, thread or needles, singularly or in combinations thereof. If I do go near said items I am subject to jailing for shouting obscenities in public. See that's what happens when I try to put scissors, needle and thread to fabric... I can see the item finished in all it's handmade glory, but I can NOT complete the project.

*looks around for links to garb makers & vendors after counting out my pennies*

Tap ;~D

Cerulean Fire
05-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Hell hath no furry ??? furey? lol... like a cat scorned.. My lil Russan Blue was sleeping soundly in the sun and enjoying my heap of plad... hmmm.. my just washed and dreid and ironed plad... do you think anyone will notice that russan blue and heather blue are different colors? um me too. so after RE-washing and ironing after drieingmy pretty plad for the second time... :x i began to cut out the bodice i had drafted... which went quite well actualy. four layers and an applesauce and baby cerial doused breakfast later I had the makings of respectable bodice. compleat with tieable straps. however i did NOT have the boning yet... silly ( and did I mention very yummy??) UPS guy had not gotten here yet. Back to the under skirt from HELL... after trying for the third time to figure out what i was doing wrong i decided to take it all apart when my best sewing buddy called and we chatted about nothing whilst i made a draw string skirt. Holy Cow I did it... ok maybe I was just thinking to hard. well after i finished the drawstring i figured that it was time for lunch and by the " Eae, eae, eae, Ma Ma Ma..." of my Lillia, I decided I was right. .. Lunch break, well i had some friends call during lunch and ended up feeling like a total dummy head cause i was suposed to have a suit taylored by today and still had to do the final heam and the darts in the back... ugh... is it 2:20 for real? oh well at least i will have Lillia's nap time to finish the suit. back to the skirt... I have decided that instead of lining the outer skirt I am going to make it reversable instead... both the fabrics are light enough that i wont be sweating my ... wubbers? off and did I mention that I just found out I am going to need bloomers... Thanx Holly... so now i have to decide which fabric to use. basic blac is always smart but... kinda boaring, hmmm.. Whilst thinging on a color choise I had just had a visit from the hunky UPS guy and he has brought me a very nice suprise... Now now girls... minds back in the bodice please. :wink: My boning ( and yup i get how that sounds...lol) Is here and now I can finaly get the bodice done... i have decided to use black any way cause I have a lot of it and well... I like black. so thats all for now, If i can i will up date later this evening, but it wont be till late most likley as I also have my daughters 1st birthday decorations to prepair, Its on the 4th of June and if you want to you can join us ... just let me know and i will send you the info ...
happy "Hump day" and hope the weekend gets here slowly so I can finish all this...

Cerulean Fire
05-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey Ceru... keep us posted... I love hearing of the adventures of others in that dreaded house of horrors, otherwise known as Joanne's... I have a serger that I never used. I have fabric I've never cut on, still folded nicely in a drawer, I trashed the sewing machine that was only used a few times in the 20+ years I owned it. It died a horrible death, somehow getting damp and rusted, froze up, went to the dump when I had to weed out stuff to move from Montana back to NY.

Anyway, I can't go into Joanne's anymore unless I have a note from my mother and the judge saying I'm going for craft supplies only and will NOT go near fabric, thread or needles, singularly or in combinations thereof. If I do go near said items I am subject to jailing for shouting obscenities in public. See that's what happens when I try to put scissors, needle and thread to fabric... I can see the item finished in all it's handmade glory, but I can NOT complete the project.

*looks around for links to garb makers & vendors after counting out my pennies*

Tap ;~D

Well if you would like i could put needle thread and scissors to fabric for you... i have my own lil costumeing co. Farie Tail Creations .. hope you have a good day and don't worry , Im sure the judge will be lenieant with you... its always the mom you have to look out for.lol...

Holly
05-25-2005, 05:54 PM
happy "Hump day" and hope the weekend gets here slowly so I can finish all this...

some of us are hoping it gets here sooner..
those of us with a thankless job..

Cerulean Fire
05-26-2005, 08:32 PM
ok well... where do I even begin... I have had the hunt for Red October ... only in the very elusive form of the right size gromits. This all began when , upon examining my ordered boneing I realised I had gotten the wrong size of gromits and they just would NOT fit in the pre-drilled holes... so I ralled my resourses... Lillia (my one year old) and Heather( no ... not Hez...:D ) And set out to find the right size of gromits... (grrrrrrr, we will hense forth call them the gromits from hell.) In persuit of said hellatious notions I comed the city of Erie and ALL of its hardwear stores and the related like( some how convinced that it would only be there that i would find the end to my quest...) I also searched 3 wallmarts and one Super wallmart.. all to no avail. So, I bowed my head in defeit and ventured once again to the forbidden realms of the local Joannes, this time (mindfull of recient events) with a friend for support- or would that be restraint?? and together we... bought way more than we had come for... ( thus my speculations are hereby confirmed, It is an evil place filled with booby traps, untold pit falls and black holes where by the creators some how tempt, pull and lure you into selling your verry soul in order to purchase 5 yards of teal blue plad ( as an over skirt for the second day of fling!!! ) and too much bais tape and ... ofcourse the gromits from hell... ( still nicley warm by the way...lol)
All I had to do now was put all this together and I would have a bodice right? Well as it turnes out fate has had another ( and not a very nice) idea... do you think that even once in all this wandering and using up of gas and time, that , by the way could have been spent getting ready for my lil girtls party, I would have remembered that any bodice would need lacings if it were to be warn non the less closed? Um, no... not I the great and talented miss seamstress... well for now I will make due with the bias tape ( funny how I realy did NOT buy that for that reason...) and get to working on all the other things I need to do... well... thats all for today ... Although, I must say that not even my 1st progect has been this rough to do. I wonder... is that a good thing, a bad thing? or just a thing... lol... oh well see you all tomarrow ... ( Hey Holly... the beach was fun... Lillia realy loved Molly... we'll have to get Beth up here for a beach run soon...:D )

Bean
05-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Sounds like some of my first ventures into garb making, although I am soooooooooooo not brave enough for bodices. That's what I pay people for 'cause there is no way in HELL that I have enough patience and/or sewing talent to undertake that!

Are you coming down with Holly and Beth for my birthday, Jess?

Cerulean Fire
05-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Sounds like some of my first ventures into garb making, although I am soooooooooooo not brave enough for bodices. That's what I pay people for 'cause there is no way in HELL that I have enough patience and/or sewing talent to undertake that!

Are you coming down with Holly and Beth for my birthday, Jess?
I would lkove too... it depends on two things... both relating to time and kids..lol... will i have time and will i have the kids... when? and wacha guna B dooin?

ps. thanx for the invite :bananada:

Cerulean Fire
06-07-2005, 02:27 PM
ok well we hit a hitch in the road.. my daughters birthday party has cramped my sewing style... LOL... i should be posting a new diary this evening... as Holly the Great will be here sewing and i will be here either watching or pounding gromits... or sewing by hand. did i mention that i realy kinda loath sewing by hand?? oh well... see you guys later...

Ysobelle
06-07-2005, 06:31 PM
I just have to mention that www.corsetmaking.com is Delicious Corsets, I get ALL my boning supplies from them, and they ROCK. Tell 'em you're a Wench-- they seem to get a kick out of that.

Cerulean Fire
06-08-2005, 05:32 PM
I just have to mention that www.corsetmaking.com is Delicious Corsets, I get ALL my boning supplies from them, and they ROCK. Tell 'em you're a Wench-- they seem to get a kick out of that.

ok i will ... and soon cause i have to order a busk... if you gat all your boning there i may have some Q's for ya... i will pm you when i can get the munchkin to sleep... and will add more to this thread... :star:

Cerulean Fire
06-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Alright , I'm not vain enough to think that any one has been waiting with like baited breath but in case you were wondering whats taking so lond ( or tapping your foot...lol) Here is another installment of " Progect Wench Wear" ( said in big T.V. voice)
Ok so i finished my bodice and might i say it is realy quite pretty... my mother in law cried... but she loves me and it may be that and not my sewing prowess....lol... any way you can find the pic to the 1st wench wear outfit at www.xanga.com/sweetdragonsfire
yep thats me in my ( suposidly heather blue... grrr...) plaid and matching bodice. ... And no one was hurt... where is the fun in that you might ask... well just stay tuned for a few seconds and find out... Later that same day I decided it was crucialy important to visit my sweet Tom... at work... in garb. :haloslip: Now just so you undersatnd, Tom was introdused to the fair by me... but i hav never worn any thing that mad me look like the prow of a ship befor and certinly not any other time than at home ( final fittings and all... ) or at the fair...heheheh... gunna get my Tom to blush so possably pitch a ten... :oops: um ok well you get the pic... so i walk into Kinkos ( with the swager i had come to find out if a natural gift of a well fitting bodice) and my hair ( long and red and hanging to my waist) down and slightly touseled... oh what fun there is to be had when you walk into a room FULL ( and I am talkin upwards of ten guys... ) of men in ' I am expecting nothing out of the ordinary today ' mode... I am just vain enough to impart to you all what I am sure you already know... I turned heads and one guy even turned reder than the shirt he was wearing (some guy from mediaplay) Tom ,( poor unsuspection Tom..) looks up and fumbled his stack of papers and droped his pen... his other co-worker just stood there and watched( mouth agape) while i finished my saunter to the desk leaned on it with one elblow and twisted my hair in one hand. I looked right at my Sweetie and said ( in my best brouge) I was wonderin, would ya be free...( looked up and down him ) fer dinner.. ( tilted my head a bit) or would ya prefer... breakfast? " Now here he found his toung again, smile as well, and said."Uh, yeah... wh what? " ( very galent, don't you think? ) so I repeated this to him and he smiled and stammered again, then found his brain( i am still wondering if it was inm his head or not) and said we wouldn't be getting to dinner if i had that on when he came home... so all in all I think i did ok... i think i will have to make a few mor bodices... its such fun...

Holly
06-12-2005, 03:14 PM
welcome to the seductive power of a wench!!:)

LOL
I can totally see this play out too!

Holly
06-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey Blue...

I got a skirt done tonight. I dont wanna call you in the middle of.. well calling hours.. but i did a lil dance and thought of you..

we can talk about it tomarrow.. after class... after 9 pm

Cerulean Fire
06-17-2005, 11:41 PM
ok ok ... so the bodice went so well i just HAD to try it out on a real live person that wasn't me... so with ALOT of convincing and just a lil guilt ( he he but happy guilt... i bought the duck and boning THEN begged her)... lol...i found a some what willing victom... muahaaahahaha :twisted:
I have used the same "patern " as before... but i took her needs into concideration :thinking: and came up with pretty nice and might i say very simple but swell bodice. :bananada: yaaah... ok so it has gone quite well and there is little else to say except that I i am very gratefull for having found a gunie pig that was so fun to fit... :smooch: my thanx to her

Bean
06-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, got my plaid top skirt done last night, and am going to go up and do the underskirt. I changed my mind on using the yellow for a chemise, I think it will look better as the underskirt. Now I have to figure out what to do with my Syracuse plaid.............

Cerulean Fire
06-18-2005, 05:21 AM
oh oh oh ... i got an idea!! wanna hear it?
ok you talked me into it... lol
go here... www.lindaclifford.com or you could try www.costumersmanifesto.com ...

its pretty interesting... ok ok so i am a history buff...it coms in handy when you're re creating some historical clothing artical... hope this helps... XO!

Tapestry MacGillicuddly
06-18-2005, 09:39 AM
oh oh oh ... i got an idea!! wanna hear it?
ok you talked me into it... lol
go here... its pretty interesting... ok ok so i am a history buff...it coms in handy when you're re creating some historical clothing artical... hope this helps... XO!

Go where?

And we wanna see your bodice... ya gotta post pics Ceru!!!

Tap ;~D

Cerulean Fire
06-18-2005, 11:31 AM
i don't know hoe to post pic.s! Help Help wench in distress! any way

www.lindaclifford.com
or
www.costumersmanifesto.com

should have been in the post... i will edit it... sorry it was late er... well early kinda... my munchkin was ua at 4:45 so ... i was too... lol. you can go to

www.xanga.com/sweetdragonsfire

if you want to see pic.s ... untill i figure out how to post them... am still computerly changleged. :oops: oh well am learning...

Cerulean Fire
06-18-2005, 05:52 PM
thought every one would enjoy this e-mal so i am posting it... te he
A Beautiful Farie Tail

Once upon a tome in a land far away, a beautiful, independent self-assured princess happened upon a frog as she sat, contemplating ecological issueson the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle.The frog hopped into the princess' lap and said: Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however, and I wil l turn back into the dapper, young prince that I am and then, my sweet, we can marryand set up housekeeping in your castle with my mother, where you can prepare my meals,clean my clothes, bear my children, and forever feel grateful and happy doing so.

~~~~~~~~
That night,
~~~~~~~~~
as the princess dined sumptuously on lightly sautéed frog legs seasoned in a white wine and on ion cream sauce, she chuckled and thought to herself:

~~~~~~~~

I don't [email protected]#&ing think so.