PDA

View Full Version : Local meetings

Aries
05-13-2003, 09:43 AM
So....I'm looking at some of the postings in some of the other Locals threads, and I've noticed many of them are having "pre-season" or "local" meetings.

Is this something we should think about doing, or is our "Local" simply too vast to consider it?

Also, just to kinda voice what's in my head, I got the impression from some of the threads that some consider thier locals like private little groups in of themselves....this is weird for me, as I've always considered the IWG one big giant whole.

For instance, when any said group does something as a group, why can't the rest of the IWG be invited in on it? I understand the individual groups forming the ideas, but I just feel like if it's being done in the name of the IWG that we should all be given the opportunity to participate....

I mean, for instance, if they are doing a charity walk, sure I may not be in that area and therefor can not walk, but I would like to be aware of these things in advance so maybe I could be a sponsor...

am I coming out of left field with this??

Fionna O'Leary
05-13-2003, 05:57 PM
So....I'm looking at some of the postings in some of the other Locals threads, and I've noticed many of them are having "pre-season" or "local" meetings.
Is this something we should think about doing, or is our "Local" simply too vast to consider it?
Also, just to kinda voice what's in my head, I got the impression from some of the threads that some consider thier locals like private little groups in of themselves....this is weird for me, as I've always considered the IWG one big giant whole.
For instance, when any said group does something as a group, why can't the rest of the IWG be invited in on it? I understand the individual groups forming the ideas, but I just feel like if it's being done in the name of the IWG that we should all be given the opportunity to participate....
I mean, for instance, if they are doing a charity walk, sure I may not be in that area and therefor can not walk, but I would like to be aware of these things in advance so maybe I could be a sponsor...
am I coming out of left field with this??

I'll field a response to some of your thoughts. This is strictly my opinion.

The Local boards were set up to defray the area specific posts from the general boards. Many folks had the opposite view before the Local sections were created. They felt they had to wade through a bunch of posts that were not related to them.

We probably do tend to post things geared to the area specific audience within the Local boards. It is my understanding that is what they were set up for. That is not to say any wench isn't welcome to read or participate. It means, we understand, that for the most part, it is geographically challenging.

I do not know of any of the Locals that consider themselves a group apart. In reality the Local Chapters are each a group apart, only as much as a finger is apart from the hand, arm from the body, etc. or a troop is apart from the whole of the Girl Scout movement or a sorority chapter is apart from the national level. It is a distance driven, geographical division of organization.

Just as every Renfaire is basically the same, each also has a little different flavor. Every Local has its own flavor too, depending on the leadership, faire management and more importantly, the membership. Some of the Locals are more organized and are more active, in more venues, than others. The Local members have chosen the organization that works best for the immediate group within the framework of Guild guidelines. It does not mean one Local Chapter is more or less successful or better or worse than another. We are all part of the same group. There are as many reasons to join the Guild as there are members who joined. There will be as many different variations to operate a Local Chapter as there are Local Chapters.

If any of the Local 57 posts have struck you as a closed group I apologize. We are in no way, shape or form a closed group unto ourselves. If you visit our Local we only ask you abide by our rules, which are based on our agreement to operate from our faire management, otherwise, feel free to jump right in, speak your mind and join our merriment and mayhem.

I've rambled enough. I hope I shed a different perspective on things for you.
Fionna

Rocket RN
05-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Fiona darling, you are just wonderful.

Aries, I do see your point as well. It would be nice to know what the other locals are up to. For now, we can just browse their forums. I have put in a request to the web mistress for a new forum titled "Charities" where I hope we can all post our ideas and what we are up to. I have not yet received a response, but we all know how busy she is.

As for a pre-season meeting, I am all for it. I think this requires a poll. We can ask who is for it, and what weekend day would be better for them. We could also look for a suggested meeting place.

Let me go do that now {hope I can figure out how}.

Aries
05-14-2003, 02:56 AM
Well, Fiona and Ronny....thank you both.

Fiona, no I don't think any of the groups are "uninviting" it was actually more the charity thing I was talking about. I didn't mean for it to sound at all cruel, if I did I apologize. I just know NOW, that some of the Chapters are doing some wonderful things, and have come up with some great ideas on how to do it, but so much of it I had heard nothing about until recent events, I'm just saying, I would love to have been able to sponsor team wench on an Avon walk, or have been able to contribute a recipe, or know how to buy a book (which I do now know who to e-mail since reading the other threads). I just think these great big ideas could be even greater and bigger.

Rocket, I think the Charities thread would be a GREAT idea. That way we could all know who's up to what and when, cause hey, like I said before, maybe I can't go to CA (or wherever) for such event, but I do have time to help in some way from my little home here in NY.

I always "feel at home" at any faire.