PDA

View Full Version : Grape recipes

erinrai
06-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Does anyone have any recipes using grapes. The house we just bought has a grapevine over taking the clothesline and I don't want the grapes to go to waste. And I know my kids can only eat so many. They look to be the big purple globe grapes but I could be wrong.

AnnaFaerie
06-10-2005, 06:58 PM
We grew up with a large Concord grapevine at the side of the house. You might be surprised at how many grapes kids can eat right off the vine. :shock: Here are some of the things we did....made juice, ate them off the vine, made wine, made raisins, ate them off the vine. *laughing* You can put them in apple salad too. Fresh fruit salad is really nice when you cut grapes into it.

By the way...I just googled and got this site. www.nationalgrape.com/03c_ofr.shmtl
Lots of recipes there. Let me know how they work out.

Tapestry MacGillicuddly
06-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I had a supervisor a long time ago who made a wonderful chicken salad with grapes in it...

cooked chicken, cubed
sliced almonds
celery diced
mayo
green and/or red grapes, cut in half

Mix everything together and chill...

There weren't any measurements really, just whatever looks right to you and your tastes. This sounds sooooooooo good right now.

I got some chicken breasts at Sam's Club last night. They are called Tyson Even Cook Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. They are the same thickness throughout, and you put them on the grill still frozen. I haven't had them yet, but my parents say I can probably cook them in the house in a skillet also. They were $9.88 for 4.25 lbs of chicken breast fillets.

Tap ;~D

Galleywench
06-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Here's a way to use some that has a "Wow" factor for a party... Glaced Grape clusters

4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup light corn syrup
4 thin rounds peeled fresh ginger
1 Sprig Fresh rosemary

Grape clusters, rinsed and patted dry left intact

Line large baking sheet with foil. Wipe fruits clean.

Combine sugar and water in heavy medium 4-inch-deep saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Add corn syrup, rosemary and ginger. Increase heat and bring to boil, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush. Attach candy thermometer to saucepan. Boil without stirring until syrup is golden amber color and candy thermometer registers 340°F, swirling pan occasionally, about 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

Carefully dip 1 fruit cluster into hot caramel, coating completely. Hold fruit over pan, allowing some of excess caramel to drip off. Place fruit, on foil-lined sheet. Repeat dipping with remaining fruits and caramel. Hooking the stem end of each grape cluster in tines of fork works well for good coverage; dip into caramel to coat. Place on prepared sheet. If necessary, carefully tilt pan to submerge fruits in caramel. (Can be prepared ahead. can be refrigerated uncovered overnight.)

Galleywench
06-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Vienesse Grape studded cake

Olive oil
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Beaumes-de-Venise or other Muscat wine
1 1/2 cups red seedless grapes

Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush 10-inch-diameter springform pan with olive oil. Line bottom of pan with parchment; brush parchment with olive oil.
Sift flour and next 3 ingredients into bowl. Whisk 3/4 cup sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons oil in large bowl until smooth. Whisk in eggs, both peels and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with wine in 3 additions each, whisking just until smooth after each addition. Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top. Sprinkle grapes over batter.

Bake cake until top is set, about 20 minutes. Dot top of cake with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over. Bake until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes longer. Cool in pan on rack 20 minutes. Release pan sides. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

Galleywench
06-12-2005, 09:42 PM
A Salad with Grapes

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
1/4 cup sliced almonds
20 red seedless grapes
1 crisp apple such as Fuji
8 ounces mixed baby lettuces
1/4 cup crumbled Stilton cheese (about 1 ounce)

In a large bowl whisk together mustard and vinegar. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified. Whisk in tarragon and salt and pepper to taste. Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a shallow baking pan toast almonds in middle of oven until pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes, and cool. Halve grapes. Core apple and cut into 16 wedges. Add mesclun to vinaigrette and toss to coat well.

Divide greens and apple slices among 4 plates and top with grapes, cheese, and almonds.

Galleywench
06-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Main course... Sausage and Grapes

2 large yellow onions, halved and slivered
2 cups black grapes (Concord, Globe, or any other ripe black variety), rinsed well
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 to 8 sweet Italian sausages (1 or 2 sausages per person)

Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large roasting pan or skillet mix the slivered onion and grapes together with your hands. Drizzle some oil over them and sprinkle with several generous pinches of salt and pepper. Mix again and spread out the mixture evenly. Nestle the sausages in the onion-grape layer, but don't let them be completely covered. Put the pan in the oven and roast for 30 to 40 minutes, until the onions have cooked down considerably, the grapes are soft, and the sausages are plump and browned on top, even a little bit crusty. Pierce one of the largest sausages. They are ready when the juices run clear. Spoon a bed of onions and grapes onto a serving platter or individual plates, top with the sausages, and serve.

Galleywench
06-12-2005, 09:51 PM
OK, the last one...unless I think of one that REALLY needs to be here...but I figure, you now have a starter, a salad, a dessert and this is the second entree. I fyou want more just ask :) Serve this one with a good Jasmine rice!

1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup peanut oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
1 tablespoon oyster sauce*
6 green onions (white parts only), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large poblano chili,** seeded, cut into matchstick-size strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black peppercorns

Mix pork, 2 tablespoons oil, soy sauce and 3 teaspoons cornstarch in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 3 hours. Mix 1 teaspoon cornstarch, broth and oyster sauce in small bowl.
Heat 1/3 cup oil in large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add half of pork; stir-fry 3 minutes. Transfer pork to strainer. Repeat stir-frying with remaining pork. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons oil from skillet. Add onions, poblano, bell pepper and garlic to skillet; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add pork, grapes, ground pepper and oyster sauce mixture. Stir until pork is coated with sauce. Serve immediately.

Bean
06-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Wash them and then put in the freezer. Nothing like frozed grapes on a hot day!! You can also use them like ice cubes in drinks, and then eat them when they thaw out!!

Miracle Wench
06-12-2005, 11:21 PM
hello
It's to bad we could not keep them frozen for Fling.

Galleywench
06-12-2005, 11:25 PM
hello
It's to bad we could not keep them frozen for Fling.

Why not? A little dry ice goes a long way lol

Emyrldlady
06-13-2005, 10:45 AM
I used to pierce the grapes with a fork and then soak them in mead and chill. Not kid friendly but definately Rogue friendly :twisted:

erinrai
06-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Thank you all so much for the recipes. We will be putting them all to good use. And I do mean all of them. Thank you again.

Buxom Wench
07-20-2005, 10:50 PM
There is actually a very good recipe for GRAPE PIE.
I grew up in the Finger Lakes of New York State and its a traditon at harvest time.

GRAPE PIE
5 1/2 cups Concord grapes, washed
about 1 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of the grapes
1 tablespoon tapioca
Pastry for a 9-inch pie

Pop the skins off the grapes by pinching them at the end opposite the stem; set them aside. Put the pulp (without water) into a heavy pan, bring it to a boil, and let it boil 5 to 6 minutes. Put it through a colander or food mill to remove the seeds. Pour the hot pulp over the skins and let the mixture sit for 5 hours. ("This colors the pulp and makes it pretty.") Add the sugar and tapioca, then pour the mixture into the pie crust and dot with butter. Put on the top crust. (Irene uses a "floating" top crust—a circle of dough slightly smaller than the top of the pie—because it is easier than crimping top and bottom together and it also makes a pretty purple ring around the edge.) Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and cook 20 minutes more until the crust is browned and the juice begins to bubble up.