PDA

View Full Version : Holy War: The Religious Crusade Against Gays

Eric McTavish
06-15-2005, 09:27 AM
And here we go agian....
Read the other 3 pages of this here (http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=522).

Holy War
The religious crusade against gays has been building for 30 years. Now the movement is reaching truly biblical proportions
By Bob Moser
http://www.splcenter.org/images/imglib/I/ir117_antigay_200x146.jpg
The audience erupts during Pat Buchanan's prime-time speech at the 1992 Republican National Convention. 'There is a culture war going on in our country for the soul of America,' Buchanan famously declares.
(Jennifer Warburg)

On June 26, 2003, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the convictions of two Texas men arrested for having sex. Writing for the majority in Lawrence v. Texas, Justice Anthony Kennedy said that the two men were "entitled to respect for their private lives." The state, he declared, "cannot demean their existence or control their destiny by making their private sexual conduct a crime."
The decision was unusually popular. A national survey found that 75% of Republicans and 88% of Democrats wanted to see sodomy laws struck down. But not everyone cheered.

"Six lawyers robed in black have magically discovered a right of privacy that includes sexual perversion," said Jan LaRue, chief counsel for Concerned Women for America. "This opens the door to bigamy, adult incest, polygamy and prostitution," said Ken Connor, president of the Family Research Council.

For anti-gay crusaders, who have been fighting gay rights for three decades, Lawrence was the most unsettling court decision since Roe v. Wade. Fundamentalist groups had filed 15 briefs supporting Texas' sodomy laws, only to see their arguments that gay sex was a threat to public health and "traditional family values," and that gay people do not deserve equal rights shot down.

And with the Massachusetts Supreme Court widely expected to rule that fall (as it did) that gay citizens had a right to marry under that state's constitution, anti-gay leaders realized the time was ripe to ratchet up their call to arms.

"America stands at a defining moment," said Lou Sheldon, founder of the Traditional Values Coalition. "The only comparison is our battle for independence."

The anti-gay movement was about to show why many believe it is, in the words of longtime religious right observer Frederick Clarkson, "the best-organized faction in politics." Immediately after the Lawrence decision, D. James Kennedy, president of Coral Ridge Ministries, issued a call to arms.

Now that America's courts were "officially off-limits to the moral framework that has allowed us to enjoy freedom and prosperity," Kennedy said the holy war on gay rights should be renewed on the battlefront of public opinion, pressing for a federal marriage amendment.

For right-wing evangelical ministries like Coral Ridge, which brings in more than $35 million annually, the stakes were never higher. Since the late 1970s, attacks on gay people and their "agenda" had helped to fuel, and pay for, the fundamentalist right's unprecedented rise to political power.

From Lawrence to Election Day, when 11 states voted on anti-gay marriage amendments, groups like Coral Ridge and Focus on the Family spent millions on ad campaigns and get-out-the-vote efforts, while gay marriage and "family values" became staples of cable-TV and talk-radio crossfire.

These anti-gay messages were nothing new. For almost 30 years, the religious right in America has employed a variety of strategies, inside the courtroom and outside, in its efforts to beat back the increasingly confident gay rights movement.

Many of its leaders have engaged in the crudest type of name-calling, describing homosexuals as "perverts" with "filthy habits" who seek to snatch the children of straight parents and "convert" them to gay sex. They have continually bandied about disparaging "facts" about gays that are simply untrue assertions that are remarkably reminiscent of the way white intellectuals and scientists once wrote about the "bestial" black man.

But never has the anti-gay movement had the momentum it has now, and never has it been so close to achieving its larger, ultimate goal. That goal is winning, in the words of Focus on the Family founder James Dobson, a "second civil war" for control of the U.S. government.

Nevada
06-15-2005, 09:47 AM
okay personal opinion time...seems to me the millions they have spent on this would have built alot of domestic abuse shelters, food banks, child placement and counseling for abuse victims etcs...rather then trying to restrict adults making personal adult decisions just because it goes someones religious belief.

Bean
06-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Okay, just to have my facts straight I went to dictionary.com and looked up sodomy, and among the anal intercourse man to man definition there are:

1.) any of various forms of sexual intercourse held to be unnatural or abnormal
2.) anal or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex
3.) the crime of oral or anal sexual contact or penetration between persons
4.) noncoital and especially anal or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex

There are also references to beastiality, but let's not bring that in.........

So, now armed with these definitions, how many of those politicians who support sodomy laws have had oral sex with their wives/girlfriends/mistresses? Or for that matter, any positions other than missionary? Well, hey, they just broke the law, they need to go to jail because they are corrupting the morals of society by having "unnatural/noncoital sex". We need to turn the tables on these people and invade their privacy and see how they like it. I bet the minute you find a wife of a conservative politician who will talk about their private sex live, he will go screaming into the night about "invasion of privacy". I'm sorry Mr. Politician, how do those shoes fit?

Lady Laurel
06-15-2005, 04:53 PM
To me this is somewhat insane. Who are these people to judge gays. Heah He who throws the first stone.

Katerinka Kotenoka
06-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Gays are the new gypsies! The old folktale about gypsies stealing children when they pass by, now the gays are doing it. Perhaps the gays are decendents of gypsies. There aren't as many gypsies as before, so you never know.

Tapestry MacGillicuddly
06-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Okay, just to have my facts straight I went to dictionary.com and looked up sodomy, and among the anal intercourse man to man definition there are:

1.) any of various forms of sexual intercourse held to be unnatural or abnormal
2.) anal or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex
3.) the crime of oral or anal sexual contact or penetration between persons
4.) noncoital and especially anal or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex

There are also references to beastiality, but let's not bring that in.........

So, now armed with these definitions, how many of those politicians who support sodomy laws have had oral sex with their wives/girlfriends/mistresses? Or for that matter, any positions other than missionary? Well, hey, they just broke the law, they need to go to jail because they are corrupting the morals of society by having "unnatural/noncoital sex". We need to turn the tables on these people and invade their privacy and see how they like it. I bet the minute you find a wife of a conservative politician who will talk about their private sex live, he will go screaming into the night about "invasion of privacy". I'm sorry Mr. Politician, how do those shoes fit?

The only problem is that we had a president who explained that oral sex isn't sex... or he didn't think of it as sex... so he didn't lie when he said he didn't have sex with someone that wasn't his wife... uhm, so like why did he do it? I thought that was supposed to be like a uhm, religious experience.... Hmmm, I wonder what these moral majority member's sex lives is like... okay we don't really wanna go there... And besides, it's is only wrong or against the law when someone ELSE is doing it. Someone who isn't personally in tune with G-D...