PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated...

Guinevere
07-06-2005, 09:41 PM
So, my boyfriend and I just got rejected on yet *another* apartment application.

I leave for England in less than two days.

I need to make sure we have a place to live when we come back!

I hate New Jersey. I hate credit checks. I hate the fact that while my boyfriend makes more money than my dad, we still can't get an apartment because he lacks US credit (and mine sucks from all of the student loans). We've been at this for weeks now and have yet to meet with one single understanding soul who would be willing to give us a chance! We have references and are both gainfully employed college grads! WHY IS IT SO DAMNED DIFFICULT TO GET AN APARTMENT?! :tantrum:

Guinevere

Galleywench
07-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Have you tried looking into renting someplace that is privately owned or a sublet rather than a complex? Maybe there would not be such an arduous application process going that route.

Guinevere
07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
We've been trying *everything*, the privately owned places we've seen thus far are disgusting, too far away, or out of our price range (which, to be fair, is considerably more than I've had in the past).

The things we have working against us are a complete lack of good credit, and two well-behaved cats which we refuse to part with.

I just can't quite get my head around the idea that it should be THIS hard for two responsible adults to rent an apartment!

Pathos
07-06-2005, 10:27 PM
I've been living in NJ for about 10 years now and I have the worst credit on the planet but I've never had any problems getting an apartment. Right now I actually have a fairly nice one.

Stay away from apartments that are controlled by realtor companies. They all suck. Plenty of cool apartments out there. Just keep looking. good luck!

Galleywench
07-06-2005, 10:30 PM
At this point, it may be easier to buy believe it or not... a mortgage broker will take those references into account and by the time you have paid 1st, last and security, cleaning and miscellaneous plus utility deposits you may have enough to qualify for a first time homeowners loan. With a FICO of 600 or better (and thats not a great score by any standard) and 10% down you can get a mortgage. the downpayment will go down as your FICO increases. Go online and get a free credit score to find out where you stand.

better yet...look for a duplex to buy and rent the other half to someone else in your shoes!

Myfanawy
07-06-2005, 10:54 PM
I've been living in NJ for about 10 years now and I have the worst credit on the planet but I've never had any problems getting an apartment. Right now I actually have a fairly nice one.

Same story here in AZ....both our credit records are really bad (student loans, evil-exes who wrecked my credit by running up my cards...etc....), but the first place we looked at here accepted us, no questions asked.

Good luck. You'll find one soon. And have a wonderful time in England!
--M