PDA

View Full Version : Spring, dammit! SPRING!

Ysobelle
03-07-2009, 11:57 PM
I finally got out of the house on Thursday and spent some blessed hours inhaling the scents of Spring. Of course, it was all indoors, but at this point of the dreary Winter? I'll take it. I thought some of you might also be feeling like this damned cold may never end, so enjoy the photoset.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ysobelle/sets/72157614902115508/

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3308/3334975360_5116fd9d04.jpg

SpeedKnight
03-08-2009, 12:40 AM
The Clan and I have moved to northeast NC. Today, the weather was so nice, I broke out the bicycle and went for a ride... in shorts and a t-shirt.
Did some yard work... mowing an acre of land with a walk behind mower, even with a self-powered one, is a pain. I've decided I'm gonna get a John Deere (http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/product/productlargerview/HO_SKG20444_LargerView.html).
I got the filter unit for the swimming pool running. Now I just need to make the water look more like pool water than pond water. I'm learning from someone else's mistake to never neglect a swimming pool.
Speaking of ponds... I worked on mine today. Emptied the form and pulled it out of the ground so I can level it.
And finally... the thermostat is registering the house at 78* and it has shifted to "cool" mode. Too bad the A/C isn't working right now.

Tomorrow, I plan to start working on making my yard look like some of those photos. Like this one (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ysobelle/3334132869/in/set-72157614902115508/).

Ysobelle
03-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Tomorrow, I plan to start working on making my yard look like some of those photos. Like this one (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ysobelle/3334132869/in/set-72157614902115508/).

That's exactly why I took that shot-- one day, I wanna have something like that in front of my booth!

daBaroness
03-08-2009, 01:44 AM
It's been glorious here in Kansas City the past few days. We're having a thunderstorm right now - but that's glorious, too. It's not snow - and we need the moisture in the soil.

I walked the girls today and Chloe even got to grass surf.

Life is good!

Branwen
03-08-2009, 01:53 AM
:vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum:

I can't see any of the pictures!!! Damn it, Flikr doesn't like me!!! I can only see the thumbnails and then they turn into blank or blue screens.

:vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum::vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum:

Ysobelle
03-08-2009, 03:48 AM
:vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum:

I can't see any of the pictures!!! Damn it, Flikr doesn't like me!!! I can only see the thumbnails and then they turn into blank or blue screens.

:vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum::vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum: :vent: :tantrum:

Okay, that's odd. They're all set to safe mode so anyone can see them. Anyone else having problems?

Lady Hefron
03-08-2009, 10:18 AM
You guys are killing me. It was about 50 here yesterday and we were all excited! Today it's supposed to be about the same and tomorrow:

Barely above freezing and 4 inches of snow!

I'm gonna go hide now.

Taffy Saltwater
03-08-2009, 11:59 AM
You guys are killing me. It was about 50 here yesterday and we were all excited! Today it's supposed to be about the same and tomorrow:

Barely above freezing and 4 inches of snow!

I'm gonna go hide now.

It's warm enough to turn the ac on here - it's only 9 a.m.! I'm more than a little bit envious of you, although coming from Colorado, I can understand wanting winter to be over & done with.

Margaret
03-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Okay, that's odd. They're all set to safe mode so anyone can see them. Anyone else having problems?

Nope - they come through just fine for me.

SpeedKnight
03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
That's exactly why I took that shot-- one day, I wanna have something like that in front of my booth!

I dig the hell out of working on my pond. I got hooked when I was in Hawaii. Couldn't have one in Maine. Now we live on an acre of land. I'll be damned if I don't have a pond!

MaidenFaeSnow
03-08-2009, 12:29 PM
We had an awesome day in the sunny 74 degree outdoors! It's very warm today too (though overcast) am I'm loving having all of my windows and doors open...ahhh smell that fresh air!

Lady Sarah
03-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Lemme share a wee tip in gardening advice: Alaskan Fish Emulsion does wonders for your plants and flowers.

Srsly. Get thee to Lowe's hardware (if you've got one nearby) and find it. It stinks, but IT WORKS. And, it's organic, so there's no over-fertilizing burns to worry about. Plus, the ratio of 3 tbsp per gallon makes it stretch for a long while.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/alaska-fish-fertilizer.html

Phoenix McHeit
03-08-2009, 12:37 PM
SPRING SPRING SPRING!

Yesterday was high 60's, today is supposed to be the same.

*sniffffffff* AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! It smells so wonderful!

Tempest_Gypsy
03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I saw those pictures of the flower show. I was so envious!
It's pretty nice down here in the wilds south of Atlanta. I went running with the dog this morning at 8:00 with just a t-shirt on, and opened the windows before I left for work.
I actually wanted it to stay cool just a smidge longer so I could finish the nastiest of the yard work without being consumed by insects!

merestelle
03-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Its been in the 60's the last couple of days. I'm loving the early spring air.
And the foot of snow we got last Monday is now gone!

I am dying to get out in the garden. I've got a great place for a little waterfall,
but that will have to wait until we can buy the place.
There is a pretty decent sized garden that I will be able to work in though.

merestelle
03-08-2009, 05:23 PM
I've got a few spring bulbs starting to poke their heads through!

MaidenFaeSnow
03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I've got a few spring bulbs starting to poke their heads through!

I know! My daffodils and tulips are almost fully greened and I'm enjoying a burst of color with our crocus.

Gemdrite
03-08-2009, 10:08 PM
It's sunny outside. I have no idea what the weather is like, but I'm sure it's gorgeous, since I have a migraine.

Adriana Rose
03-09-2009, 12:58 AM
We still have about 2 months left of craptastic weather with some sucker holes thrown in for good measure!

But there is some hope we have some red wing black birds that are flitting around so either they are confused or spring is soon!!

Isabelle Warwicke
03-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Rain, cold and a hide and seek game of flurries around 4pm today.

*grrr*

On the bright side, there are Crocus points popping out of my friends flower beds. Spring can't be that far off.

Ysobelle
03-09-2009, 03:07 AM
I dig the hell out of working on my pond. I got hooked when I was in Hawaii. Couldn't have one in Maine. Now we live on an acre of land. I'll be damned if I don't have a pond!

So, uh, I have this little garden in Lancaster....

Phoenix McHeit
03-09-2009, 09:21 AM

Which has been offered to be done for you for two years now.

Kiddo can't get it done without instructions as to what you want.

Cyranno DeBoberac
03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Spring, dammit! SPRING!

Okay...

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6738/partsm120spring.jpg

Lady Sarah
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Okay...

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6738/partsm120spring.jpg

C'mere Bob. I gotta mackerel with your name on it.

shyanwench
03-09-2009, 10:19 PM
What Spring???? It's snowing outside my windows! :mmph:

SpeedKnight
03-10-2009, 07:49 AM

And here I haven't the faintest of clues when I'll be back in Lancaster.

KissMeKate
03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
We're flooded here after some really great thunderstorms over the weekend. Plus we got another inch of rain last night with another 1-2 expected today.

On the plus side, it should get up to 60 today! Although the overnight low is going to plunge into the 20s with the expected cold front.

Anybody got an ark? ::raining:

SpeedKnight
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
We're flooded here after some really great thunderstorms over the weekend. Plus we got another inch of rain last night with another 1-2 expected today.

On the plus side, it should get up to 60 today! Although the overnight low is going to plunge into the 20s with the expected cold front.

I take it the Lotuses won't be blooming in this weather, will they? ;-)

(BTW, the budget challenged [that's me] is looking to buy a mid '90s BMW 318ti [$3200] or an early '90s Miata [$1500 - $3000]. SM want's me in something fuel efficient and small. I want something with great handling, manual transmission, and RWD. Both of these meet all requirements. :-))

KissMeKate
03-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I take it the Lotuses won't be blooming in this weather, will they? ;-)

They really didn't like sitting out this winter. We tried to take out the Exige, but it threw an engine code and we couldn't figure out what was wrong with it (the engine kept pulsing and dying, it wasn't good). Ed figured it out later, but now we get to wait for it to stop raining. They get a little too skittish for me on wet pavement.

I'll tell Ed about your car reqs and have him post them out to his car groups. We'll see if anything pops up for you. How far are you willing to travel to pick one up?

prospero
03-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Yes indeed we are on day 4 of flood warnings. Spent the weekend with the pumps running in the back yard and a mop in hand just in case. If its not cold and snowing its cold and raining. I'm currently looking forward to scorching heat up at Bristol...

SpeedKnight
03-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I'll tell Ed about your car reqs and have him post them out to his car groups. We'll see if anything pops up for you. How far are you willing to travel to pick one up?

You can tell him. I'm not looking to go much more than 100 miles or so in my search.

I've already got my eye on a particular Bimmer. As soon as Uncle Sam deposits my refund in my bank account, I'm heading about 60 miles north to see if the dude will settle for $3200 ($1K less than he's asking, but right at KBB for "Excellant"). That ride is a '96 318ti; a 1.9L 4 banger, 5 speed, hatchback. Looking into that model, I've found it gets anywhere from 25 to 32 on the highway, which is what the vast majority of my commute will be.

I've not looked into a Miata too heavily yet... I really want the Bimmer. :) The Miata idea worries me a little... I've heard that power steering was optional on them. That's one option I have to have. I love driving and all, but I'm still inherently lazy. No PS = too much work. lol

Oh... I've also found a dude with a selling a '91 MR2 non-turbo 5 speed for $2600. Seems steep to me. If I need to fall back on that ride, I'm gonna KBB it and give him my offer.

KissMeKate
03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Good luck with your car bargaining!!!