PDA

View Full Version : Missing Money

Jamianne
03-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I was watching CBS this morning and they had a segment on "missing money". Essentially, unclaimed money that's being held in trust by the government. Things like unclaimed wages, refunds, bonds and the like. They gave a website http://www.missingmoney.com that's free to look up to see if you have anything floating around. Not all states are on it yet - New York's not, but it does have a link to the NYS Comptroller's Office of Unclaimed Funds page, and I imagine it has the same for other states as well. I just thought it was kind of cool and thought I'd pass it along.

If you changed your name when you got married, be sure to check under your maiden name, also. I actually found an unclaimed refund for myself from an old cell provider under my maiden name. :smile:

Isabelle Warwicke
03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Nothing for me. I figured as much.

RaevynCait
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, nothing for me, though I KNOW that there should be because I worked for the museum of science and history for like 2 days and they never released my paycheck because I didn't turn in my copy of the 'employee handbook' that I can't even swear I ever got. I figure eventually the $ should show up on the unclaimed website.

My deceased mother is listed as well, and I've tried to claim before and started the process, but it's old stock that she inherited from my grandfather, and they keep asking for the original stock certificate. Umm, yeah, have been trying to claim this for 20 damned years, didn't have the certificate then, don't have it now! UGH

wendyzski
03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
My deceased mother is listed as well, and I've tried to claim before and started the process, but it's old stock that she inherited from my grandfather, and they keep asking for the original stock certificate. Umm, yeah, have been trying to claim this for 20 damned years, didn't have the certificate then, don't have it now! UGH

There are companies that will get replacement certificates for you, for a cut of course. We used one and got my boss nearly $6000 for some old NASDAQ stock he had. If you need a referral, let me know.

Bronya
03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
It figures, California isn't on this list.

Black Delia
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
well, MY name isn't on the list.. but there is a curious entry in FLA under a potential one for the ex... hmmmm.... I wonder what FLA would do with the information if I reported it to the people managing my arrearages...

Artemisia
03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
No free money for me. :unamused:

Ravin' Raven
03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
well, MY name isn't on the list.. but there is a curious entry in FLA under a potential one for the ex... hmmmm.... I wonder what FLA would do with the information if I reported it to the people managing my arrearages...

Unfortunately if it's Florida not much - they don't honor other state's child support requirements. That's why so many men move to Florida. :unamused:

Black Delia
03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Actually, within the past 10 years Florida has tightened up their child support enforcement and almost surpassed a number of other states that have some hefty child support laws and they have worked in conjunction with the last four states I have lived in to make sure I don't end up on welfare.. used to be if you wanted to get away with being a dead-beat dad, going to Florida was the place to be. Not any longer.

In 1983 the divorce degree only demanded 200.00 a month... when Florida got their hands on it in 1990, they changed the payment amount as they have a minimum for current and a minimum for arrearage.

In fact, Florida is the 'only' state that has truly enforced making that jerk pay anything in almost 20 years. He's been arrested four or five times in the last 10 for non-payment. The boys have been over 18 for a long while and I'm still receiving payments on the arrearage he owes.

SHpepperKat
03-23-2009, 06:54 PM
It figures, California isn't on this list.
For California

http://www.sco.ca.gov/ucp.html

Cyranno DeBoberac
03-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Hmmmmmm.... apparently I've got 20 million dollars sitting there waiting to be claimed by me. The problem, however, is that there is a $15,000 processing deposit that needs to be paid upfront that will be refunded once the funds are released. I don't have that kind of cash on hand, but if anyone wants to lend me some money so I can do this, PM me and after I get the $20 mil, I'll pay you the money back, plus a share of $2 million, proportional to how much of the $15K you lend me. How about it?

Bean
03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I had an insurance deductible from a car accident in PA that I recently claimed. It was about $60, but hey, I think I bought fabric with it.....

Jamianne
03-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, nothing for me, though I KNOW that there should be because I worked for the museum of science and history for like 2 days and they never released my paycheck because I didn't turn in my copy of the 'employee handbook' that I can't even swear I ever got. I figure eventually the $ should show up on the unclaimed website.

Contact the Department of Labor and file a claim. I had an employer refuse to give me my final paycheck because he claimed I still had equipment (which I didn't). I called, they sent me forms to fill out, and amazingly my check suddenly appeared a couple weeks later. Sometimes, that call is enough.