PDA

View Full Version : The Queen replaced

Selena
03-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Talk about replacing a queen with a queen! This is hilarious (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5050289/Forgers-replace-Queens-head-with-Boy-George-on-fake-20-notes.html)! :snicker:

Isabelle Warwicke
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Who takes that money as payment?

I'd kick my employee's butt for being an idiot.

Black Delia
03-26-2009, 03:34 AM
"The cashier held it up to the light and then spotted that Boy George's face was on it instead of the Queen's."
She added: "I was shocked, I couldn't believe it we've certainly had nothing like it before."

The sad truth is that people become so used to "seeing something" that they don't really "look at it" ... desensitization.

The fact that this was a watermark, not the actual facepiece of the bill, I can just about tell you what happened (having managed staff who handle money a number of times over the years) ... IF they held it up, they expected to see... "A" watermark.. when it was there, their brain 'assumed' the bill was good and never thought to actually discern that the watermark they saw was specifically the one that was supposed to be there.

When I was working for an accounting service, an elderly lady brought in one of the "brand spanking new" bills that has that strip in the side of it. It didn't look right to me so I took it to the owner. After calling the authorities we were paid a visit by some treasury fella, who split the bill open to find that the oddly lumpy strip was more like a bread-tie wire than the proper one.

My boss had traded the customer a good bill for the questionable one out of the goodness of her heart. The treasury man gave my boss a noterized statement and they made copies of the bill and its contents and she wrote it off on her taxes the next year.