PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Oklahoma

Kaylynn
04-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi, I'm Krystina, people call me Kaylynn, I'm 22, married, fairly new to the world of faires, My husband not so much, he is from New York, so going to the Tuxedo Ren Faire was common practice for him. I am in the middle of making myself some garb for the upcomming Muskogee Faire, and any I might be so lucky to attend in Texas. Anways again Hello:hi:

susan
04-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Welcome!
Scarborough is going on right now, Waxahachie, TX. Will you make it??
http://www.scarboroughrenfest.com/

The boards are a great place to get info and help with making your garb.
What are you making?

Kathryn Blakeley
04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the fun!

Kaylynn
04-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome!
Scarborough is going on right now, Waxahachie, TX. Will you make it??
http://www.scarboroughrenfest.com/

The boards are a great place to get info and help with making your garb.
What are you making?

Unable to make it to Scarborough, this year, But next year I plan to be there!

I am making early to mid 16th Tavern Wench, at the moment I am working with Simplicity pattern 9966. any help would be appreciated.

susan
04-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I haven't worked with that pattern, although I have it. What are you using for boning? I've been turned on to Commercial Electric Zip Ties. You can get medium strength at home depot/lowe's in the air duct aisle. They are 4 feet long and 3/8th of an inch wide. I have heard stronger ties can be found online, but I haven't searched yet. I am very happy with how these work. I think everyone will tell you any kind of boning you get at the fabric stores simply will not work. You can also use metal boning, someone else will have to make suggestions if you go that route. I'm just super happy with my zip ties.

I would suggest tossing the skirt pattern to the side and make a circle skirts. 2 seams, a waistband, hem and you are done. Forget elastic, use ribbon. Not because it is "period accurate", but just because it really does hold up better. Otherwise, you'll be tucking up your skirt all day. I use Wright's double fold bias tape quilt binding (7/8" wide) for the waistband. I have a serger, so I just use a rolled hem. I hate to hem. Make 2 skirts and tuck one up to show the under skirt. When I was first told about circle skirts I was dumbfounded. I need step by step directions. If you are the same, maybe we should start a new thread in garb. Or look to see if someone else has already posted "circle skirt for dummies". (I am the dummie, not you!) The skirt is truly the easiest part. I have about a dozen of them now in a rainbow of colors, but not yellow, I need one in yellow. :lol:

Their chemise looks simple enough.

You go girl!!!
Post pictures when you are done!

PS - you have 6 more weeks to change your mind about Scarby!!!

Kaylynn
04-16-2009, 10:59 PM
That is soo awesome, I had never even though of using Zip Ties! and I have a source for the industrial size ubber strong ones too! My race car is put together with zip ties, so I love the things!

I will see what I can do about Scarby, but I dunno it maybe cutting it to close for comfort on the budget side of things to make it there this year.

I will post up pictures as soon as I can, I also do alot of forging so I will have some stuff up for sale from my forge, like kilt pins and cloak pins and key rings, and untensils. I may have a picture of my SPOON laying around if anyone is interested.

P.S.
as soon as I get to the skirt portion I may need some help as far as the hoop skirt idea, but I like the sounds of it better then the patten one.

Isabelle Fawkes
04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Love the pattern! What part of the pattern are you leaning toward? Full bust or under bust?

Kaylynn
04-17-2009, 01:06 AM
I am thinking over bust, because I am a busty girl to begin with, My husbands sanity is at stake here.

susan
04-17-2009, 01:11 AM
I am thinking over bust, because I am a busty girl to begin with, "My husbands sanity is at stake here."

Well said!!!
Huzzah!

SHpepperKat
04-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Enjoy the chaos,camaraderie and cuddles. Sometimes they happen all at once.

Kaylynn
04-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Enjoy the chaos,camaraderie and cuddles. Sometimes they happen all at once.

Yay cuddles!! ::cloud9::

serena
04-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Welcome to the forums.:hi:

shyanwench
04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
While using traditional boning, I ran out one day, and the only sewing supplies in Cheyenne...were at Walmart... on a Sunday.... Hobby Lobby was closed, so I was forced to "think outside-the box". I bought a big piece of plastic cross-stitch base. I trimmed it with the scissors and used it. I was amazed how sturdy, yet comfortable, my dress turned out.

Just a wacky idea... :cheer:

Oh, I almost forgot! Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!:hi: I love our wonderful sisterhood of Wenches! I hope you enjoy it.

vIXEN
04-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Yay, another Okie! I maybe a Texan (born and raised) but my Dad was from Oklahoma. I've got season tickets for the Castle so maybe I'll see you there. Oh, by the way Welcome Aboard.

Kaylynn
04-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I can't wait to go to the castle! I have only ever been to the norman faire, and while it is cool and all, I would really like to go to a better one. I can't wait to move to NY and go to all the faires out there, but I am here untill school is out.