PDA

View Full Version : Shower curtains

Phoenix McHeit
06-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok this is just a silly thing that I've been tossing around my brain for awhile. I'm not attaching any significance to it, just curiosity.

If you have a shower curtain (as opposed to glass doors or whatnot), when you've finished showering, what do you do with it?
Do you pull it across to let it dry?
Leave it pushed to one side to let air circulate on the walls?
Sort of pull it halfway across, for the best of both worlds?

And I'm sorry I'm a techno-dumbass that can't figure out how to post a poll.... :-D

Lady Sarah
06-08-2009, 03:31 PM
It depends on what day it is and how I feel. Most days I pull it across. I do have some moments where I leave it to one side - mostly if I know someone else is coming into the shower after I'm done.

Margaret
06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
The only window in our bathroom is on the tub/shower wall, so I keep my curtin open half way.

It means I need to be more vigilant about spraying down the waterproof curtin with cleaner, but it means my bathroom isn't dark.

Lady Sarah
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
The only window in our bathroom is on the tub/shower wall, so I keep my curtin open half way.

It means I need to be more vigilant about spraying down the waterproof curtin with cleaner, but it means my bathroom isn't dark.

We have no windows in the bathroom... but we alleviated the problem by putting a Solar Tube in the ceiling. Most of the time during the day (unless it's really stormy) we don't need to turn the lights on, even when we're in the shower. Yes, there's that much light. They even have fan kits you can have installed on the tube.

And truth be told, it's kinda nice to stumble into the bathroom at 3 in the morning and not hurt yourself in the pitch black anymore. Moonlight gives just enough of a glow to make out shapes and shadows. :lol:

Ravin' Raven
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Our shower curtain rod also has a rod for hanging towels. It's easier to hang the towels if the curtain is pulled all of the way shut. but I can see the benefit of leavin git open slightly to allow the tub itself to dry out a bit.

Selena
06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Pull it closed with about a 5/6 inch gap. Just habit, I suppose... as I keep the kitty litter in the tub.

I have a very pretty batik-style curtain that I bought many years ago. I like the hippie-look it gives the room, so I like to show it off.

Jamianne
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I usually pull ours mostly closed so it dries. Until a couple of weeks ago, we also had this ugly, dated, just gods-awful pink tile with a black border in our bathroom, so it was partly so we didn't have to look at the fugly stuff.

Margaret
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Our shower curtain rod also has a rod for hanging towels. It's easier to hang the towels if the curtain is pulled all of the way shut. but I can see the benefit of leavin git open slightly to allow the tub itself to dry out a bit.

OK Short Stuff - I have to know....

How do you reach the top of the rod? I just know how high my shower rod sits and I have to climb on the edge of the tub or the toilet to reach it. :snicker:

Selena
06-08-2009, 04:53 PM
We have no windows in the bathroom... but we alleviated the problem by putting a Solar Tube in the ceiling. Most of the time during the day (unless it's really stormy) we don't need to turn the lights on, even when we're in the shower. Yes, there's that much light. They even have fan kits you can have installed on the tube.

And truth be told, it's kinda nice to stumble into the bathroom at 3 in the morning and not hurt yourself in the pitch black anymore. Moonlight gives just enough of a glow to make out shapes and shadows. :lol:

::sigh:: I wish I had one of those. I changed out my bathroom light fixture just to have a dimmer switch there for that very reason.

Ravin' Raven
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
OK Short Stuff - I have to know....

How do you reach the top of the rod? I just know how high my shower rod sits and I have to climb on the edge of the tub or the toilet to reach it. :snicker:

:pfft:

The rod only sits basically right on top of the tub surround so it's within tippy toe height....(maybe six feetish) I feed the towel up from underneath and then grab it and pull it over the top of the rod....or I give it to the husband (it's also why he uses that rod for his giant sized bath sheet and I use a regular towel rod for my other towel)...tall husbands are a good thing...:aok:

It's amazing what us short people can devise...:snicker:

Margaret
06-08-2009, 05:21 PM
It's amazing what us short people can devise...:snicker:

~laughs~ I hear you on that one. Jon is my onion chopper and my high places reacher.

Jamianne
06-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Slight Thread Jack: What's a Solar Tube? It sounds interesting.

Jayde
06-08-2009, 05:58 PM
of the 4 people I live with, 3 of us pull it closed.

We can usually tell when Crimson was the last to use the shower 'cause he tends to leave it open lol

Gellis Indigo
06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I changed out my bathroom light fixture just to have a dimmer switch there for that very reason.

We did that too. I love it!

Bronya
06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a small bathroom. The toilet is right next to the shower/tub. I only use a liner, that is almost the same, ugly 80's tan/beige, that matches the tub area. I dont use an 'outside curtain" as it makes it to crowded a feeling. I just leave the nylon shower liner inside the tub and pull it closed so you can't see in the tub and also so it dries. 8-)

GoodyTombShoes
06-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I have to keep it closed. I have that scrubbing bubbles machine that sprays the walls. The kids.. ahem... leave it open 90% of the time. The refills are a stinker to buy, but we had a run of MRSA in the home. It just seemed smart to wash those walls down often.

Sorcha Griannon
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
When I had shower curtains, they were definitely pulled closed after use. One reason is to dry the curtain, the other is to keep the ugly tub out of sight. The tub's finish was non-existent in places, so you could never get it clean. Also, like Bronya said, since my bathroom was so small, all I had was a liner. I tried to have both a liner and "pretty" outer curtain, but it was WAY too much for the little bit of space.

Sorcha

MaidenFaeSnow
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I pull it across so I can spray it with shower fresh and I leave a small gap at either side.

Selena
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
When I had shower curtains, they were definitely pulled closed after use. One reason is to dry the curtain, the other is to keep the ugly tub out of sight.

Sorcha

And that's another good point.

Growing up in the 70's, our tubs were always... well, icky. Not 'dirty', per se, just icky-soapscum dull kinda look. I don't doubt that many of my adult choices for cleanliness (or the endless attempt thereof) stems from that memory of perceived 'ick'.

RaevynCait
06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I leave it open for a little while to let some of the air circulate & dry the walls, then I close it before I leave the house, partly because the blue tile is ugly, and partly because I LOVE my pretty shower curtain and like to be able to see it when I walk past the bathroom.

Gemdrite
06-08-2009, 11:29 PM
I pull mine all the way closed, because there is about a foot, foot and a half gap between the top of the curtain and the ceiling of the tub. So the tub still airs out, but the curtain doesn't get mildew on it.

Lady Sarah
06-09-2009, 02:57 AM
::sigh:: I wish I had one of those. I changed out my bathroom light fixture just to have a dimmer switch there for that very reason.

Ask and ye shall receive (http://www.solatube.com/homeowner/).

Isabelle Warwicke
06-09-2009, 03:03 AM
I have a Croscill Brown Bali shower curtain. I close my curtain.http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ESxzDHIvL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
I also have the matching towels, throw rug and my whole bathroom theme revolves around the pattern.

Jamianne
06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Ask and ye shall receive (http://www.solatube.com/homeowner/).

That is so cool! I don't think our co-op will let us install them, but we're moving anyway so definately something to keep in mind when we get the house!

Lady Hefron
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Pull it across so it can dry, except for an inch or two on either side so walls can dry.

Gemdrite
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
For those willing to share, any idea on the cost for one of these Solatube things?

Lady Sarah
06-09-2009, 04:51 PM
For those willing to share, any idea on the cost for one of these Solatube things?

I don't know what the cost is, actually. You'll need to contact a dealer locally and have them give you a quote.

Lucy
06-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I let the tub air until I return to the bathroom to dry my hair, then I pull the liner across. Leaving it wadded up wet on one side encourages mold.

Bronya
06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
So Phee...whatchagonnado with your shower curtain? *rofl**rofl**rofl*

Phoenix McHeit
06-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh gosh - I never did post mine, did I? :snicker:

I do what most of the posts say. Pull it almost across with a small opening at both ends. Cuz my curtain is prettier than my tile. :-)

wendyzski
06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I pull it closed to keep it from mildewing - I have VERY high ceilings so there is plenty of circulation above the rod

Lady Sarah
06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I pull it closed to keep it from mildewing - I have VERY high ceilings so there is plenty of circulation above the rod

is it me... or could that be taken a few wrong ways.

I'm going to go read now... before I get into trouble. ::whistle::

Margaret
06-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Moisture. Rod. Circulation. Rod. Wet. Rod. Hard. Rod.

*blinks*

What were you saying about taking things wrong Sarah?

Katie O'Connell
06-10-2009, 05:49 PM
:snicker:

You guys were losing your wrinkles from being OUT of the gutter for so long.

Welcome home, gals! :hi:

Lady Sarah
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
:snicker:

You guys were losing your wrinkles from being OUT of the gutter for so long.

Welcome home, gals! :hi:

Splish splash, I'm takin' a bath...

Mmmm.... so warm.

Margaret
06-12-2009, 10:55 AM
So nice to be in the sewer (as if we ever left)

Just don't want to be accused of corupting the youth of America, ya know ;-)

Jess Devyne
06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Thank the gawds that I wasn't the only one who had the high, multi-use, aired out rods running through my brain! **swallow coffee first, then snort**

Our master bath has the glass enclosure---which I require the use of a squeegee on the glass after each shower (the bubbles cleaning spray helps a lot). The other shower has a curtain, my sons just don't get the concept of closing the curtain after a shower to help try to avoid mold and mildew build up. So, I will open the small window above the shower sometimes to get air in to circulate....they remember to pull the curtain closed once they get in and realize the temp is about 30 degrees in there...hehe ((they are all over 18, I wouldn't do it to them when they were little, not THAT evil))

For those of you with small bathrooms and only use liners, here's a little Tip&Trick I have used in the past.

Buy (or make) a regular valance, about 18" - 24" in length, one with the 2" rod pocket, use a second shower curtain rod placed slightly above your liner rod....viola! You have a little color and pizzazz without taking up too much space!

Oh, and Margaret, who better to corrupt the youth of America?

Margaret
06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh, and Margaret, who better to corrupt the youth of America?

I solemly swear I have never corrupted anyone in my life.

You believe me, right? ::whistle::

Jess Devyne
06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I solemly swear I have never corrupted anyone in my life.

You believe me, right? ::whistle::

Great, thanks Margaret, I didn't swallow first that time....**wipes coffee off monitor** Thankfully I quit using cream and sugar ;-)

Yeah, sure, *I* believe you! :mmph:

Phoenix McHeit
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I didn't swallow first that time....

So *that's* what I've been doing wrong - here I thought you swallowed after. ::whistle::

Margaret
06-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Just make sure you do swallow at some time. It hurts coming through your nose.

Jess Devyne
06-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Phee, Phee, Phee.....so many "talents" one must learn! ::waggle::

And Margaret, makes me think a Neti Pot is even more of a necessity!