PDA

View Full Version : Our new fur babies!

MaidenFaeSnow
06-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Loki
1 year old sable female who was turned into the rescue shelter infested with fleas and needed a transfusion. She's an awesome, sweet and playful fuzzy now.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/softazsnow/Tonks.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/softazsnow/Tonks2.jpg

Pinkin
Originally named Punkin Pie because she was left outside last Thanksgiving in a cage. A cable man found her and took her to the shelter. She is approx. a year and a half old and super playful and sweet. Shes a cinnamon color, (technically a chocolate)...too cute!
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/softazsnow/Pinkin2.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i138/softazsnow/Pinkin.jpg

Will Knot
06-10-2009, 09:43 PM
she is adorable. I take it this is not your first Ferret.

MaidenFaeSnow
06-10-2009, 09:54 PM
she is adorable. I take it this is not your first Ferret.

these two are our very first ferrets :)

Ysobelle
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Sweet Mother McGee! They're ADORABLE!

Will Knot
06-11-2009, 12:11 AM
these two are our very first ferrets :)well if you have questions, and if you are on musettes, Sandra Fox raises ferrets (or Did) and use to rescue them and can probally help with any question you might have.

Tho you think Jack was bad hehehe ferrets are worst LOL. Perputal 2 year olds LOL. A Friend had one and any time I would come over her little girl would basically climb up on the back of the couch and use my neck as her sleeping perch. I looked like I was wearing a mink stole that shrunk in the wash.

Jayde
06-11-2009, 01:21 AM
OMG they're soooo cuuuuuute!

MaidenFaeSnow
06-11-2009, 07:07 AM
well if you have questions, and if you are on musettes, Sandra Fox raises ferrets (or Did) and use to rescue them and can probally help with any question you might have.

Tho you think Jack was bad hehehe ferrets are worst LOL. Perputal 2 year olds LOL. A Friend had one and any time I would come over her little girl would basically climb up on the back of the couch and use my neck as her sleeping perch. I looked like I was wearing a mink stole that shrunk in the wash.

Thank you Will. The woman who runs the shelter where we got them is a fabulous lady! She gave me so much info yesterday. This wasn't an impulse adoption for us, we've been talking about it and reading about ferrets for a while, we definitely didn't want to go into it blind. I even have a vet lined up.

I'm looking forward to years of fun!!

Ravin' Raven
06-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Yippee!! :cheer:

Pyewacket and Lily-belle need to set up a playdate. Pyewacket will be beside himself with so many pretty ladies!

(hint - Clorox disinfectant wipes....trust me...buy the bulk pack)

MaidenFaeSnow
06-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Yippee!! :cheer:

Pyewacket and Lily-belle need to set up a playdate. Pyewacket will be beside himself with so many pretty ladies!

(hint - Clorox disinfectant wipes....trust me...buy the bulk pack)

Yes, I'll get the wipes for sure!! Lisa, the rescue place is so nice! Nancy, the director, is incredible! She spent a lot of time telling SO much info and let us take as much time as we wanted to play and interact with them.

Ravin' Raven
06-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Yes, I'll get the wipes for sure!! Lisa, the rescue place is so nice! Nancy, the director, is incredible! She spent a lot of time telling SO much info and let us take as much time as we wanted to play and interact with them.

This is the Inn in Columbia? I've heard really good things about them.

I could have a herd of ferrts and be happy. Brigid would not be very happy but the mommy would be happy!

Bouncy chirpy ferrets are better than Prozac! Weasel war dance!!!

(I used to tell Sadie and Hannah when I had them I should have named them Prozac and Valium...)

GoodyTombShoes
06-11-2009, 08:33 AM
I love those little furry snakes! They look quite frisky!

MaidenFaeSnow
06-11-2009, 08:40 AM
This is the Inn in Columbia? I've heard really good things about them.

I could have a herd of ferrts and be happy. Brigid would not be very happy but the mommy would be happy!

Bouncy chirpy ferrets are better than Prozac! Weasel war dance!!!

(I used to tell Sadie and Hannah when I had them I should have named them Prozac and Valium...)

Yes it is the inn in Columbia. Funny you should mention Prozac, Nancy was watching me laughing at Tonks and she exclaimed that having a ferret was better than taking Prozac, lol! It certainly is! How can you not be happy and smiling around them?! Pinkin was bouncing and dooking with one of the big boys...too funny :smile:

Lady Anisette
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
You can teach them to walk on a leash. I used to take my corgi to the town green. I used to walk her on a flexi-leash while she played with a ball. Imagine her (and my) surprise one day when a young man showed up with his ferret on a flexi-leash. It had its own little ball and the two bounced and played on the green. Not together unfortunately~ Ani didn't understand that the ferret wasn't a squeaky toy.

MaidenFaeSnow
06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
You can teach them to walk on a leash. I used to take my corgi to the town green. I used to walk her on a flexi-leash while she played with a ball. Imagine her (and my) surprise one day when a young man showed up with his ferret on a flexi-leash. It had its own little ball and the two bounced and played on the green. Not together unfortunately~ Ani didn't understand that the ferret wasn't a squeaky toy.

Lol! Yep, I have leashes for both of them and Loki was having a great time playing with a little ball yesterday.

Ravin' Raven
06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
See in my house it's the opposite - the ferrets chase the St. Bernard through the house and try to lunge at her tail. Pye has even decided he likes her milk bones and will walk right up while she's chewing and take crumbs. I keep telling him she could swallow him whole! They are brave little things. And they WILL figure out how to get what they want.

Ferrets are an adventure if nothing else.

MaidenFaeSnow
06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
See in my house it's the opposite - the ferrets chase the St. Bernard through the house and try to lunge at her tail. Pye has even decided he likes her milk bones and will walk right up while she's chewing and take crumbs. I keep telling him she could swallow him whole! They are brave little things. And they WILL figure out how to get what they want.

Ferrets are an adventure if nothing else.

Now I'm running round my family room trying to think of everywhere they could get into that could pose potential danger, (yeah, right...like I could think of everywhere the weasels will think of!!) Ah, I'll do my best.

Bronya
06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
They are illegal here in Ca. I have never seen one. Just pictures. Are they trainable? Do they interact with you? What do they do? I never understood why they are illega here.

MaidenFaeSnow
06-11-2009, 03:55 PM
They are illegal here in Ca. I have never seen one. Just pictures. Are they trainable? Do they interact with you? What do they do? I never understood why they are illega here.

Yes, they are trainable! Mine are litter box trained and if you work with them they can learn things. CA sees them as pests instead of domesticated animals.

Gwen
06-11-2009, 04:15 PM
They are cuties, MFS. I had planned to get a ferret and a kitten together when my last cat died. We ended up just getting the two cats instead. The ferrets are so much fun to be around. They are quite trainable. I had a friend who had 2. They used the litter box, knew to go into their cage when he said cage, and various things like that. But they are definite bundles of energy! They will (and can) get into about anything! But their personalities and joy of life are so contagious! So congrats on the new fur babies. They are adorable!

MaidenFaeSnow
06-11-2009, 04:33 PM
So congrats on the new fur babies. They are adorable!

Thank you! When we got home they explored and played for a couple of hours, now they are sleeping and I'm worn out! They are a bit skittish now that they are in an alien environment and have been a bit bitey but I know that they will settle in fine and turn back into my sweet babies!

Phoenix McHeit
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
How absolutely adorable!!! Now I have even more reason to visit again. I can just see both you & Freebird laughing at the critters' antics. Makes me giggle just picturing it. :-D

Artos O'Dalriada
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
I've actually had two ferrets in my life so far. The first was a bit insane though, and liked to bite. I just couldn't get her out of that. She was a white one with lil beady red eyes, named Luna. The second was a chocolate named Angel. I was hoping she'd take after the name. She liked to run down the hall, chasing the chow chow, then run into the bathroom. From there she would latch onto rolls of toilet paper and drag them back down the hall and hide them under my bed. Just to have them. she didn't shred them or unravel them, just wanted them under the bed. and the weasel war dance is one of the cute things.

Ravin' Raven
06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
From there she would latch onto rolls of toilet paper and drag them back down the hall and hide them under my bed. Just to have them. she didn't shred them or unravel them, just wanted them under the bed. and the weasel war dance is one of the cute things.

Pyewacket currently has a pair of dishwashing gloves, some pipe fittings, his beanie baby, and a small umbrella...He tried desparately to get some horseradish root a few weeks ago but I got that back and last night was a whole garlic I had gotten out of the garden after I took away a basket he was trying to drag down the hall. Over the weekend he got into my bag of cherries I was eating and had to taste every one until he settled on just the right one. I always have to be careful when I am unpacking groceries because he likes to help by dragging whole bags of carrots down the hall or opening the mushrooms.

My last ferret once had a hotwheels corvette, 7 beanie babies, two power bars, some hershey's minatures, gum, a peep, a horse lead, and a scuba regulator and boy he was pissed when I tried to clean out his nest. Tried to run up the stairs to his second nest with everything as fast as he could but he couldn't get the regulator up the steps.

MaidenFaeSnow
06-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Loki was running after me last night, I scratched the ground to play with her, she jumps into the air and spins around and then I started running from her so she chased me *rotfl*(until I turned around, then she jumped again, she's too funny!) She also thinks it's the greatest thing to steal Pinkin's treats. Pinkin likes her treats in small pieces but Loki will have them any way they come and if Pinkin isn't quick enough, she misses out.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-oJakIdC4Ps/SjapL-Tjl9I/AAAAAAAAACM/lAYUF0VQo70/s320/DSC00529_2.jpg

Ravin' Raven
06-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Are they chirping and clucking yet when they play?

I always say it's time to feed the chickens!

MaidenFaeSnow
06-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Are they chirping and clucking yet when they play?

I always say it's time to feed the chickens!

Yes!! Loki seems to cluck more than Pinkin but they both do it often :)

MaidenFaeSnow
06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
It's been a bitter-sweet day.

As time passed since adopting Loki and Pinkin, it had become apparent that Loki was developing some behavioral problems. Her biting continued to get worse, consistently drawing blood and as new ferret parents, we didn't feel we had the experience to handle it. So we called Nancy at the shelter who asked us to bring her in right away. I felt so horrible, that I had failed my Loki, but I knew we had to do something to ensure her quality of life. So we took both Loki and Pinkin to the shelter today. We put Pinkin in a large enclosed area and introduced her to several different ferrets. It didn't seem that she really wanted to be with the girls and rather preferred hanging with the guys. So we tried her with Tim (now Jester) and they got along quite well. Jester had been cagemates with Tom (now Oliver) since birth so we began to consider having 3 fuzzies in our home. Oliver and Pinkin needed some time to work out who was boss but soon settled down to playing together. Getting along so well, our ferret family grew to three and we brought them all home. While we are very saddened to not have Loki anymore, we are at the same time happy that she WILL end up in the right loving home for her.

Oliver - a one year old male predominant Point (sort of a mutt)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-oJakIdC4Ps/SkevakaRLeI/AAAAAAAAACo/DiLvIFRRBb0/s1600/Oliver.JPG

Jester - a one year old male Roan Point

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-oJakIdC4Ps/Skevl0LSM4I/AAAAAAAAACw/Y20WFBnazV0/s1600/Jester.JPG

shadowcat546
06-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi
Wonderful! You are so kind to take in rescue animals, and ferrets are so cute. reading about the ferret antics is a bright spot for today.

hope you have lots of fun with your new ferrets.
happy summer

Gwen
06-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I know that had to be bittersweet! But you know you had to do it for Loki and you still have more cuties that needed a home and your love. I am sure Loki will find a home and be happy you send him to be with a new family more suited to him. So feel good you did the right thing for him and you. Meanwhile you have even more cuteness and furriness to nuzzle and love!