PDA

View Full Version : weird? funny? or ??? breastfeeding doll

Mistress Morigianna
07-31-2009, 04:33 AM
saw this and I am to tired to decide where it should go- funny? issues? donno- what do you think?

http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2009/07/babyglutton.html

Bebé Glotón is a infant doll made by Berjuan, a toy maker in Spain, for the express purpose of promoting breastfeeding. The idea is to impress upon kids that breastfeeding is natural.

Your child wears a colorful bra-like halter-top featuring flowers over the nipple area. When the doll is lifted to the flowers, it makes a suckling motion and sound. When your child’s flower nipples grow sore and cracked, either the baby cries for more, or beckons to be burped.

The flowers don’t really get sore and cracked. My wife was astounded when I read her a draft of this article, so I thought I should clarify. If the flowers wilt a little, maybe you can buy your kid a tube of lanolin.

I guess that settles the whole dolls-are-okay-for-boys issue. Or maybe it reignites the fathers lactating civil rights issue.

Here is a Spanish video report and a second video report that provide a sense of how the doll functions. The second is better, but is tucked behind a 30 second commercial.

The user comments posted below the second clip (20minutos.tv) are a hoot… with people viewing this doll as everything from inappropriately sexing up children to providing a plaything for prepubescent lesbians. But to be fair, a good number of the comments are sheer trolling. (View them by pasting the URL into a Google search, then click “translate this page“).

Babel Fish translates the doll’s name as Baby Glutton. If anyone is familiar with Spanish culture (Spain, not Latin America), I’d love to hear their thoughts about that name.

This gluttonous baby is 50 cm (19.6 inches) long, the average length of a real newborn and is available in either gender. There’s no word yet on whether the boy is anatomically correct. The dolls retail for about 44 Euro.

See the Bebé Glotón official site (just photos at this point… after the Flash intro, click “mecnanismos” and then “Bebe Gloton”)

also:
http://www.parentdish.com/2009/07/30/new-dolls-leave-little-to-the-imagination?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl3|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F2 009%2F07%2F30%2Fnew-dolls-leave-little-to-the-imagination

MaidenFaeSnow
07-31-2009, 06:54 AM
Promoting breast feeding is one thing, targeting very young girls just seems like the wrong way to go about it.

Lady Hefron
07-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Ummm, just, Wow. Honestly this gives me the Heebie Jeebies.

Azura
07-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I support breastfeeding. I breastfed my son, and I found it to be a very positive experience all around. THIS, however... it just seems wrong, somehow. It gives me the creeps.

Torra
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Ok, this is odd, but I also think it's completely inappropriate. I understand the idea of making it more accepted (I didn't know it wasn't in Spain) but... I have reservations about this as anything other than a joke. Breastfeeding has benefits and yes it's natural, but just because it's natural is no reason to promote it to children by having them imitate the act. Too, I view breastfeeding as a very personal decision a woman makes and not something we need to have outreach on when the target audience isn't even menstruating yet, never mind pregnant.

Cruisewench
07-31-2009, 03:23 PM
I know some people who've breastfed their kids, and once they had a second child, the first started showing curiosity about what mama was doing, and started imitating her. So I guess it's not Ultra weird, but the way this doll does seem kinda weird.

Mistress_Autumn
07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't usually get involved in any discussions about sensitive topics, but this time... I think I will.

So it's perfectly ok to have "baby dolls" that eat from bottles, complete with sucking motions and sounds, as well as have "babies" that eat and then "poop"... but it's not ok to have a single doll that -doesn't- eat from a bottle and instead is "breast" fed?

How is this inappropriate?

Will you never get your children "baby" dolls because of the possibility that they will then think it's ok to have actual babies of their own? Or, heaven forbid, have a slightly more educated grasp of the workings of their own bodies?

Why is it so "wierd" to have a doll that interacts with a child in the same way as other dolls on the market but doesn't use a bottle?

Yes, breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding is a personal choice... but why is it "wrong" or "wierd" to have that choice shown? Why are only bottlefed babies appropriate for children to have?

renren
07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I agree, the "target audience" is just too young!

LdyJhawk
07-31-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't usually get involved in any discussions about sensitive topics, but this time... I think I will.

So it's perfectly ok to have "baby dolls" that eat from bottles, complete with sucking motions and sounds, as well as have "babies" that eat and then "poop"... but it's not ok to have a single doll that -doesn't- eat from a bottle and instead is "breast" fed?

How is this inappropriate?

Will you never get your children "baby" dolls because of the possibility that they will then think it's ok to have actual babies of their own? Or, heaven forbid, have a slightly more educated grasp of the workings of their own bodies?

Why is it so "wierd" to have a doll that interacts with a child in the same way as other dolls on the market but doesn't use a bottle?

Yes, breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding is a personal choice... but why is it "wrong" or "wierd" to have that choice shown? Why are only bottlefed babies appropriate for children to have?

Because very small girls live in a society filled with a bunch of fucked up people and don't need yet another thing calling attention to their breasts?

Because the act of breastfeeding is something that comes from a sexually mature woman and not a toddler/young girl and carrying around a baby doll feeding it from a bottle is marginally less indicative of the completed act of gestation and birth?

I mean these are reasons some people might have, honestly..and arguments I HAVE heard against it.

Breastfeed all you want..but I'm still not for any toy that deliberately calls attention to the breasts of a small child simply because hey this IS a world of pervs :P

Mistress Morigianna
07-31-2009, 08:01 PM
I think its not the breastfeeding doll that that bothers me its the jacket/vest thing. Most kids will put the doll under their shirt to represent feeding.

Torra
08-01-2009, 08:26 AM

Because this doll comes with a shirt that has graphics right over a little girl's (heck I'll go out on a limb and say "or little boy's" just in case) nipples and that change to illustrate tired nipples as a result from breastfeeding. That's too sexualized, period. LadyJHawk hit it on the head of the nail: this represents much more than a "natural act", it represents the way we view children and what we believe to be age-appropriate activities.

And, as an aside, I have to say I fail to see how a doll that works mechanically and isn't anatomically correct educates children about the workings of their bodies. It could, I suppose, but I just don't see it.

Selena
08-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd venture to say that most of us grew up with a doll or two. It's only natural for a little girl to want to hold a baby... to change a baby... to bottle feed a baby and imitate their mom. Hell, I'll even go so far as I'd bet some little girls at home have tried to imitate breastfeeding on their little siblings... if they are watching and imitating mom!

But the images of this one... no, they are just weird. It's weird to see a little girl with no biological equipment to do so... who's not old enough to breed imitating breastfeeding A DOLL.

Yes, it's only natural and I completely agree with the entire natural breastfeeding issue. But this isn't. It's a little girl wearing a smock with pasties. It's creepy and disturbing.

So they promote the doll as this; "The idea is to impress upon kids that breastfeeding is natural." Yeah... so what's next, a toddler boy doll that gets a hard-on? Well... that's only natural too, yaknow. :roll:

Blue Pixie
08-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I have to say that I would not buy this for my child only because I don't like the vest thingy. I work at a daycare- so I've seen girls and boys pretend to breastfeed. It's natural for children to do this but the vest thing doesn't make me feel like it would be natural. Same with my mom- she didn't like the vest thing either.

Vixynne Rose
08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
My tuppence on this one:

Breastfeeding is very natural and can be a beautiful bonding process between mother and child.
Playing "nursing" with a dolly isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it is sort of weird to market a doll specifically for that function. I have friends (adults both with and without offspring) who are weirded out by poo'ing dolls. And y'know, it IS kinda weird to hold a plastic Baby Turds-a-Lot and wipe fake poo from its little fake butt...is it preparation for parenting? Maybe, but then again, NOTHING really prepares you for parenting, and most toddlers already sorta grasp the whole poo concept. Input/outgo. Don't really need a dolly for that one if you just pay attention.
If you just give kids dolls, just dolls, babies that don't light up, play music, chew, cry, grow (*shudder* those ones were SERIOUSLY creepy to me), change haircolor with hot water, fart, pee, and mimic every other bodily function known to humankind, kids will play with the dolls in whatever way seems natural and nurturing to them. No flowered fake nursing bra required.
For me, it's the sort of scripted nurturing that makes me go all ick at this toy.
The cracked nipples will come soon enough, why go that far in a toy...for crying out loud, we might as well put away the "Operation" game with the little plastic funny bone and start shipping kids "Auntie Rigor and Uncle Mortis's Slash-n-Poke Cadaver in a Can"!
Realism, schmealism. Let kids imagine. Let kids BE KIDS. Remember that idea? Died out sometime in the late 70's, I think...:wink:

MissyAdo
08-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I played at "breast feeding" my dolls. I don't see why a product needs to be marketed specifically for this purpose...any more than a baby doll that drinks from a bottle or soils it nappies. Kids will-for the most part-model their play after the examples placed before them.

Lady Hefron
08-02-2009, 12:06 PM
...we might as well put away the "Operation" game with the little plastic funny bone and start shipping kids "Auntie Rigor and Uncle Mortis's Slash-n-Poke Cadaver in a Can"!
Realism, schmealism. Let kids imagine. Let kids BE KIDS. Remember that idea? Died out sometime in the late 70's, I think...:wink:

Almost lost my coffee on this, I laughed so hard.

Thank you for this. Kids need to use their imagination.

Betty Munro
08-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I'd venture to say that most of us grew up with a doll or two. It's only natural for a little girl to want to hold a baby... to change a baby... to bottle feed a baby and imitate their mom. Hell, I'll even go so far as I'd bet some little girls at home have tried to imitate breastfeeding on their little siblings... if they are watching and imitating mom!

But the images of this one... no, they are just weird. It's weird to see a little girl with no biological equipment to do so... who's not old enough to breed imitating breastfeeding A DOLL.

Yes, it's only natural and I completely agree with the entire natural breastfeeding issue. But this isn't. It's a little girl wearing a smock with pasties. It's creepy and disturbing.

So they promote the doll as this; "The idea is to impress upon kids that breastfeeding is natural." Yeah... so what's next, a toddler boy doll that gets a hard-on? Well... that's only natural too, yaknow. :roll:

Oh my gosh, I SO agree with you!!! My son was breastfed. Our cat had kittens and she breastfed her babies too. (I know - shocking!) So when he wants to feed his little stuffed kitten, he puts it to the mommy cat, not his own tummy. When a little girl holds a baby and wants to feed it, she can give it to a mommy, or if she has seen it she might naturally hold it to her own chest ... I don't think it needs to be encouraed with a flower pastie vest. I think that is on the fringe of weird. There are lot of things that are natural that we do NOT want to promote. The baby boy doll is a good example ... here's another one ... nose picking! I've tried and tried, but I just can't find a game that rewards the players with the biggest booger. Maybe because that is a private thing and really not to be shared with everyone ... oh yeah, kinda like breastfeeding.

Taffy Saltwater
08-02-2009, 06:58 PM
What's next? Menstruating Barbie? Actually that would have been more education than mom provided.

Selena
08-02-2009, 07:00 PM
What's next? Menstruating Barbie? Actually that would have been more education than mom provided.

*rotfl* I swear, I first read "masterbating barbie"!

Taffy Saltwater
08-02-2009, 07:09 PM
*rotfl* I swear, I first read "masterbating barbie"!

W/teensy little toys.

Vixynne Rose
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
W/teensy little toys.

In "Barbie Pink", of course. :unamused: :-D

Jamianne
08-03-2009, 09:44 AM
One thing that I don't get - why illustrate cracked and sore nipples? Why would you want to give a child the idea that breastfeeding is painful? Isn't that going to have the opposite impact of what they want by promoting breastfeeding? If at say 7 years old I had a doll complete with pasties that got "sore", I most likely wouldn't have breastfed as an adult because I'd have a negative association with it. Or is it just me?

Selena
08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
One thing that I don't get - why illustrate cracked and sore nipples? Why would you want to give a child the idea that breastfeeding is painful? Isn't that going to have the opposite impact of what they want by promoting breastfeeding? If at say 7 years old I had a doll complete with pasties that got "sore", I most likely wouldn't have breastfed as an adult because I'd have a negative association with it. Or is it just me?

No, it's not just you. That's a very good point I never considered until now.

Gellis Indigo
08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Taken from the link in the OP

The flowers don’t really get sore and cracked. My wife was astounded when I read her a draft of this article, so I thought I should clarify. If the flowers wilt a little, maybe you can buy your kid a tube of lanolin.

That part about soreness was said in jest by the blog author.

Azura
08-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Good lord, has anybody read the comments on the blog? There's, like, ONE rational criticism on there (other than the simple "it just makes me uncomfortable" ones.) The rest of them are just.... stupid. As though a child mimicking breastfeeding means that they're GOING to become pregnant teen sluts the moment they hit puberty. The one lady saying that allowing girls to talk to boys before they're 18 is wrong, hurts my head. :augh: I STILL say that the whole setup makes me a little weirded-out (the vest thing still seems a bit too much) but the nay-sayers on that site seem like such enormous idiots that I'm starting to like the damn toy.

Kat Sparrow
08-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Promoting breast feeding is one thing, targeting very young girls just seems like the wrong way to go about it.

agreed

Chrystiana
08-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Hmm... I'm kinda on the fence on this. The vest is a little wierd, but plenty of girls pretend to breastfeed their babydolls anyway. I think, more than anything, the toy maker is trying to capitalize on the whole, if they're going to pretend at it anyway, lets make it seem more real, with sound, and add flowers because girls like them... Which is the same idea behind all the other "life like" baby dolls. It makes money.

Now, with how society is, there are plenty of people who will pervert the whole thing, but it's not as if it clamps to their nipples or sends electrical impulses or something... And I really don't think it's as bad as putting toddlers and young girls in bikini bathing suits or the stupid pants with suggestive words accross the butts that seem particularly attractive to pre-teens and teenagers though I've seen some 7-10 year olds wearing those too.

Really, the only thing I think is disturbing about this is the wilting of the flowers... the sound is one thing. Heck, some kids will make that sound on their own and even go so far as to put balloons up under their shirt to immitate breasts, but the whole "chapped nipples" idea is where I think it goes too far.

Mostly, it's another amusing ploy for a toy company to make money on that probably won't be around more than a year or two, and the novely will wear off when the child decides their imagination is better.

littlekitty381
08-21-2009, 06:10 AM
WOW.. That was odd can I scream now EEEEEEKKKKK!!!! I am going to ::runfore: now...

MARY

daBaroness
08-23-2009, 08:41 AM
I just can't quite believe we've wasted so many brain cells on this ... but what the heck? Yes, breastfeeding is natural. So is sex. Doesn't mean I think someone should come up with a "Fucking with the Family," two-doll set with posable figures. I mean - what if you're a lesbian and daddy has boobs? Some things just need to be better thought out and then dismissed as "not a good idea."