PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Your Sandwich

Bronya
09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Once Phee asked what do we do with our shower curtains when done and we got a great cross section of answers. This AM I made my yummy ham, cheese and pickle sandwich. I gave myself a delima of how to cut it.:thinking: Should I cut it across the smallish cheese slices (horizontally) or with the smallish slices (vertically). Or diagonally? Using just a plain ol' store brought pullman loaf, how do you cut your sandwiches? Toast can be another whole topic. If it is jellied, always vertically. If peanut butter or cinammon sugar ALWAYS in three vertical strips, ALWAYS!

RedFox
09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I prefer to cut my sandwiches horizontally - it feels weird when I eat a sandwich that isn't for some reason.

Jellied toast - well then I cut that into little triangles :3

Blue Pixie
09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Once Phee asked what do we do with our shower curtains when done and we got a great cross section of answers. This AM I made my yummy ham, cheese and pickle sandwich. I gave myself a delima of how to cut it.:thinking: Should I cut it across the smallish cheese slices (horizontally) or with the smallish slices (vertically). Or diagonally? Using just a plain ol' store brought pullman loaf, how do you cut your sandwiches? Toast can be another whole topic. If it is jellied, always vertically. If peanut butter or cinammon sugar ALWAYS in three vertical strips, ALWAYS!

Horizontally most of the time but sometimes diagonally. And toast with butter and never cut!

Gemdrite
09-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't cut my sandwiches. Never really thought about why.

Mistress Morigianna
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
i tend to wrap sandwiches in a napkin and not cut them......

hamburgers at sit down resturants (coco's etc.) in quarters

Phoenix McHeit
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I go corner to corner diagonally. Two pieces, big triangles. I don't eat sandwiches often, but when I do, it reminds me of Mom - that's how she cut for us kids.

Chrystiana
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
The only sandwich I ever cut is grilled cheese, and that I have to have cut diagonally both ways so I have four little triangles. It tastes better. lol :yum:

Sealion
09-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Diagonally. Always.

Gemdrite
09-01-2009, 11:30 PM
The only sandwich I ever cut is grilled cheese, and that I have to have cut diagonally both ways so I have four little triangles. It tastes better. lol :yum:
Now that you mention it, I do cut grilled cheese. I think probably because it's the only sandwich I eat *with* something else, and it needs to fit on the plate. Other sandwiches, I generally am eating on the run or by itself.

Morgan Ravynswood
09-02-2009, 01:18 AM
I also eat my grilled cheese in triangles. It's how my mom did it! Regular sandwiches I don't usually cut, but if I do, it's horizantal down the middle.

Azura
09-02-2009, 04:40 AM
I don't always have time to cut my sandwiches (read: I'm lazy), but when I do it's diagonally. There's just something about those triangles... But I love grilled cheese in fourths, all triangles. Triangles are just more fun. Toast (unless on a sandwich) I never cut, because where there's buttered toast, there is HONEY! ...Or a poached egg...

I'm totally going to have to try cinnamon sugared toast in strips now. Now I'm really hungry.

Margaret
09-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Sandwiches get cut diagonally. Toast with just butter on it never gets cut (I munch the crust around the toast off first - but not the bottom! Then I fold it in half and then eat it.) If the toast has jelly or peanut butter on it, then it gets eaten uncut - but no fancy treatment like the butter only toast.

Bronya
09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I
I'm totally going to have to try cinnamon sugared toast in strips now. Now I'm really hungry.

That is how my Mom used to cut it for me and it does taste so much better!

Isabelle Warwicke
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
I usually cut mine diagonally, in half when made with square bread. Two triangles. It fits on a plate better when coupled with something else like a bowl of soup, handful of chips, pickle or fresh veggies. If I use brioche, croissant or other artisianal bread, I cut right down the center in half.

My mom always cut my sammiches in half straight across, or in quarters, making squares. They fit better into the ziplock bag.

RaevynCait
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Peanut Butter and honey or jelly don't get cut, and as a side note, I've been making my own PBJ since I was 5 and told my mother she didn't make them correctly, so she said "well, then, from now on you can make your own PBJ."

Grilled cheese sometimes yes and sometimes no, but if it's yes, it's always diagonal, mostly because it's how mom always did it.

If I've got just a plain cheese sandwich that I'm taking in a baggie to eat on the go, I cut it diagonally both directions just because the 4 triangles are easier to handle when I'm driving or whatever.

Things like chicken salad I tend to have on a croissant or crackers so they don't need to be cut.

shyanwench
09-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I go with a diagonal cut. If I'm trying to impress my grand daughters... it's the flower cookie cutter!*rotfl*

BlueValkyrie27
09-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Grilled cheese is cut diagonally once. It seems to create the most surface area on the cut edge to show off all that cheesy goodness.

The Turkey Works (Turkey, pepperoni, cheese, lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, and Italian dressing on toasted white bread) never gets cut because it would be way to sloppy so I wrap it in a napkin.

Everything else including toast, PB&J, or PB&Pickles gets cut in half vertically because it bugs me if each half doesn't match. (One round corner and one square corner).

Kat Sparrow
09-03-2009, 09:04 AM
As long as the sandwich isn't really messy (I.E - Tuna, Turkey Club, etc) I usually cut it diagonally and occasionally cut the crusts off. Toast, however, most often gets either sliced into strips for easy on-the-go consumption or gets cut right down the middle and then covered in whatever jam/jelly I'm craving that morning :smile:

wrenchwench
09-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow y'all cut sammiches? huh....

I've been reading the posts and I was surprised at all the thought put into the act of cutting. I think the grilled cheese answers shocked me the most. I feel like I was raised by wolves. We take a whole grilled cheese sandwich and tear off chunks to dip into the cream of tomato soup. Maybe its the growing up with 4 brothers thing but cutting was never a step of the sandwich process.

Isabelle Warwicke
09-04-2009, 12:12 AM
We take a whole grilled cheese sandwich and tear off chunks to dip into the cream of tomato soup. Maybe its the growing up with 4 brothers thing but cutting was never a step of the sandwich process.

I've actually done the ripandtear maneuver before.

And I understand not wanting to pull a knife in the middle of a pile of boys.

daBaroness
09-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I think this is a subject of world-wide importance - but the answers don't matter! I love it!!! I also tend to take after my mum, except that she puts butter or margarine on both side of the bread before she makes the rest of the sandwich. She figures it tastes good and is an excellent moisture barrier to mayo and other condiments. I agree on both counts - but don't need the extra fat and calories. Grilled cheese definitely gets cut on the diagonal and is optimal when it can be dipped into the tomato soup. (Come to think of it, why would you make grilled cheese if you didn't have tomato soup?)

It's gotten so I only cut sammiches if I'm serving them to someone else (except my sons - they're no civilized). I like a diagonal cut because it looks more formal. If I get an uncut sandwich when eating out - it's probably going right down the middle. I'm more apt to cut burgers than sammiches.

I, too, eat the the outside, in on a sammich - thus to catch any dribbles of excess jam, jelly or ? Toast is same story - I usually load too much stuff so any additional cuttin just makes more escape routes for the yummy toppings. But if I'm going to dunk toast in eggs yolk (over easy pleasy), diagnoal cut is my fav.

shyanwench
09-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Had to laugh... I'm sorry... after the conversations about the "grilled cheese sandwich" a few weeks ago... I can never think of " grilled cheese sandwiches" again with a straight face... *rotfl*

Next time I make a grilled cheese sandwich I'm going to dunk it into tomato soup! Yum!:snicker:

Bronya
09-07-2009, 01:31 AM
oh yes, the only sammich you can eat with tomatoe soup is grilled cheese. I think it is a law.