PDA

View Full Version : Horse Sense or Horsefeathers?

Vixynne Rose
09-08-2009, 11:05 PM
(News story from here (http://www.parentdish.com/2009/09/05/mom-picks-up-daughter-on-horse-school-balks/))

A Florida mom tried to rein in a new school-dismissal policy -- literally.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.parentdish.com/media/2009/09/momcarpoolhorse9109slw.jpg

A new parking policy at Crystal Springs Elementary School in Jacksonville, Fla., requires parents to wait in line, inside their cars, while the students are released one-by-one. Fed up, one mom showed up on horseback, (http://www.news4jax.com/news/20603386/detail.html) citing fuel costs and time spent waiting as the reason for her four-legged mode of transportation.

"I don't have the funds in my budget to sit in lines for an hour to two and a half hours to wait for my daughter," said the woman, identified only as Deidre by news station WJXT.

Deidre, who said she and her daughter often ride horses together, was prevented from taking the child home and was ushered off the property by police.

"Our first priority is the safety of our children, and during our arrival/dismissal, their safety is first and foremost a priority on campus," said Principal Jaime Johnson, according to WJXT.

Deirdre said Johnson refused to release her daughter, and in fact, pulled the girl back from her mother. "(Johnson) would not turn loose of my daughter's hand," Deidre told WJXT.

The principal stated that she did not think it was safe for the child to ride on horseback through the streets around the school, many of which are under construction.

Instead, a police officer drove the girl home, where she waited alone until her mother arrived.

Should the school have released the girl to her mother on horseback?

Ysobelle
09-08-2009, 11:23 PM
What the living hell has happened at this school to inspire such a policy in the first place?

And IIWMK, you try and keep her away from me, and you'd better say goodbye to that hand.

Gemdrite
09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
What the living hell has happened at this school to inspire such a policy in the first place?

And IIWMK, you try and keep her away from me, and you'd better say goodbye to that hand.
That's the first thing I thought of as well, cause that is a really odd policy. I mean, I have to keep my kids by me, but if they can point out their parents to me, they can go.

Marelle
09-08-2009, 11:45 PM
So, they wouldn't let her take her daughter away from the school on horseback, but the principal dropped the girl off at home, where she was alone until her mom showed up. Nice. If they are so concerned about safety at the school, why did the principal drop the kid off?

Kathryn Blakeley
09-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Because being alone at home is soooooo much safer than riding a horse. :unamused:

daBaroness
09-09-2009, 12:12 AM
No - the frelling cop left the girl home alone. Niiiiiiice.

What a load of horse dukie!

Lady Sarah
09-09-2009, 12:35 AM
No - the frelling cop left the girl home alone. Niiiiiiice.

What a load of horse dukie!

::rimshot:

Mistress Morigianna
09-09-2009, 01:41 AM
as long as it is legal for the horse in the street- the school shouldn't have a leg (or 4) to stand on

Gellis Indigo
09-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Because being alone at home is soooooo much safer than riding a horse. :unamused:

Being at home alone makes it so the school is not liable for what happens to the child. This solves the school's problem, which is obviously all they had in mind at the time.

daBaroness
09-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Being at home alone makes it so the school is not liable for what happens to the child. This solves the school's problem, which is obviously all they had in mind at the time.

You're right! I just wonder if there might be some kind of legal precedence here because the school and the police delivered her home where there was no adult supervision. Would they be liable - if it came down to a court case for knowingly leaving her alone when they were supposed to be responsible for her safety? Perhaps not, it just seems so wrong to me.

Torra
09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
I think this is absurd - it's a sad day we've known was here for quite a while. The day when a school cares more about covering its own ass than it does about the students. I'm disgusted by the actions of the principal and shocked the police officer left the girl there alone. Perhaps he only did it because he knew her mom was on her way home, but it only takes a minute for something to happen.

Drea Beth
09-09-2009, 09:13 AM

I always thought that once a school released a student to that child's parent, the child became the parent's responsibility and the school's liability ended.

If no laws were being broken by riding a horse on public streets, the school should have released the child to the parent, no question.

Gellis Indigo
09-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I always thought that once a school released a student to that child's parent, the child became the parent's responsibility and the school's liability ended.

If no laws were being broken by riding a horse on public streets, the school should have released the child to the parent, no question.

I agree with you completely.

And Torra, when it comes to a school covering its own ass, sadly that has had to come about because of our "sue-happy" society. I'm not excusing the school's behavior in this situation, though.

The amount of additional paperwork I have to do each day has increased immensely in the 15+ years I've been an educator. I document everything. Every conversation, every skill worked on, everything. Just in case.

Gemdrite
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Well, see, there are always exceptions for that rule. For example, if a school suspects abuse, but there is no hard evidence, and later on the child were to die or be seriously injured because of abuse, the school could get into legal trouble for not reporting suspicions, even without proof. It's a very fine line to walk. I could see, in today's society, the school letting her go home with the mom, something happening on the way, and the mom suing the school for letting the child go with her when they "felt it wasn't safe to let her go." There are so many potential lawsuits these days that seem silly, but it's why we have "Don't iron your clothes while you are still wearing them" tags.

Do I agree with what the school did? No, I suspect they really were just annoyed that mom tried to circumvent school rules (something that happens many times a day in various ways from various parents.) But not knowing what caused them to put that pick-up procedure in place, I hesitate to condemn them. Maybe something serious happened to cause the school to create that policy. Maybe children were going home with the wrong parents (custody battles) or something.

Zoie La Belle
09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I so wish my mom would pick me up from school on a horse!:aok:

Bronya
09-09-2009, 02:04 PM
:augh:

Zoie La Belle
09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
:augh:
i'll second that

Lady Hefron
09-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I so wish my mom would pick me up from school on a horse!:aok:

Me too. How cool would that be.

Isabelle Warwicke
09-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow, this just chaps my grits. A Mother comes up with a unique and ecologically sound way to transport herself and her daughter to and from school and the school reacts like this. For shame, not letting the child go to the Mother.

There are several questions this brings up. Are horses a legal form of transportation in Jacksonvile FL? I'm presuming yes, as a woman who rides and owns horses, I know that laws of my county and the rules of the equine road. The artical doesn't state that she was ticketed, so I'm assuming that she was operating within the law on the roads. She was ushered off school property, so the school may have a rule about animals on the grounds. She wasn't leading a second horse for her daughter, so I'm also presuming that she and her daughter were well equipped to ride together on what I can only surmise to be a road-safe and well-trained equine partner. Dare I ask if she had a "buddy-seat (http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07ddd-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5)" attached to her saddle for her daughter to ride on? That would have been the best option for proving saftey and security. I also wonder how far from the school the family lives.

I believe that the school should have released the girl to her Mother. I'm a horsewoman and I think that this Mom should raise holy hell with the school for it's silly policies and for leaving her child alone after dropping her off.

Mistress Morigianna
09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
in the origianal link it mentions her saddling horses.... so she brough another?
she also said the 8 year old rides in rodeos so they are familiar with horses.

I bet the Native community would love to be told riding horses is dangerous for children...

Isabelle Warwicke
09-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I bet the Native community would love to be told riding horses is dangerous for children...

I wonder if the press would even be smart enough to contact them for a comment.

Quaters
09-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Growing up in a horsey family and in a rural area I am guilty of taking one of the horses down to the gas station to get a Dr. Pepper, and taking a horse over to a friends house to spend the night. My schools were too far away to ride to. But if I could I have I would. (kids bringing tractors to school was normal though, lol)

After I graduated high school I moved in with a friend and her family and there were several times when I would ride a horse and lead another to the school to pick up her little brother. The school was not far from the house. And I would meet him on the corner of the school grounds to keep the horses away from the cars and other children. There was never a complaint about it.
I can understand the schools orgininal concern for the child's safety. (I personally would be more worried about the other children possibly running up beind the horse and spooking him.) But, at what point do they have the authority to withhold a child from their parent? Plus, wouldn't all of the schools liablity for the child be released as soon as they were off school property, or as soon as the child was relased to the mother?

As long as the mother knows what she is doing and has a trustworthy mount I see no problem with picking up her child from school on horse back. If she is a "weekend farmer" then yes I would see a problem with that.

BlueValkyrie27
09-10-2009, 09:45 AM
My school district in PA claims that the child's safety is their responsibility "from doorstep to doorstep" Meaning no matter what your mode of transportation (bus, walking, car, or yes horse) once you leave your front door the school is required to provide you with the safest environment until you enter it again.

Students living farther that a proscribed distance away are not permitted to walk, bus drivers must have clear licenses and no criminal record, and in one case, a boy's father is not permitted to drive him to and fro b/c he was selling drugs along the way. So yes, at least around here, the school would be in the "right" to refuse the horse ride with mom and instead drop the girl at home. ("right" according to policy anyway)

Personal story: Once growing up my bus driver waited to watch two boys enter their houses and close the doors before leaving the stop because the boys were threatening to fight. Earl was not only an awesome bus driver, but he was looking out for the policy and the kids. Once the boys got inside they gave up the fight and didn't come back out.

Zoie La Belle
09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
My school district in PA claims that the child's safety is their responsibility "from doorstep to doorstep" Meaning no matter what your mode of transportation (bus, walking, car, or yes horse) once you leave your front door the school is required to provide you with the safest environment until you enter it again.

Students living farther that a proscribed distance away are not permitted to walk, bus drivers must have clear licenses and no criminal record, and in one case, a boy's father is not permitted to drive him to and fro b/c he was selling drugs along the way. So yes, at least around here, the school would be in the "right" to refuse the horse ride with mom and instead drop the girl at home. ("right" according to policy anyway)

Personal story: Once growing up my bus driver waited to watch two boys enter their houses and close the doors before leaving the stop because the boys were threatening to fight. Earl was not only an awesome bus driver, but he was looking out for the policy and the kids. Once the boys got inside they gave up the fight and didn't come back out.

A similar rule is in effect for Jersey. Last year our students were suspended if they were caught by either police or school staff for either fighting, doing drugs, or selling drugs. The kids hated it, but as a school it was our responsibility for making sure they arrived home safely. Part of me understands why the school retained the child, however part of me also feels that it was a way for the school to make a statement saying they were sticking to their guns. Another district in (rural) Jersey enforces a rule that mandates bus drivers to retain children until a parent is visible from the bus. Which means if your driveway is a half a mile long, you need to have an adult at the end of the driveway retrieving the student from the bus. If there is no parent, the child is not permitted to get off the bus; and I'm pretty sure that rule is enforced through sixth grade. What a world...

Isabelle Warwicke
09-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I still think that sitting in line to pick my child up after school for TWO FULL HOURS trancends ridiculous. Who has that kind of extra time in their day? I certainly don't.

SilverMirth
09-11-2009, 12:37 AM
I still think that sitting in line to pick my child up after school for TWO FULL HOURS trancends ridiculous. Who has that kind of extra time in their day? I certainly don't.

I'm thinking that its insane. Some of these kids have sports or other activities that they need to get to as well as chores and homework. The school should be paying not only the teachers who have to stay to make sure all the kids get to the parent and then go back in and do their normal post-kid work but also the parents for wasted gas and time. I say that the mother should raise hell about her child being dropped off alone by police officers. Wouldn't that be considered child endangerment? What if something happened to that child betweent the time they took her home and the time the mom got there? Fires start, people could break in, the child could become injured. The police i think showed poor judgement in taking the child home. I think the school could have handled the situation differently, but I also think that the mother could have made her point differently.

on a side note: I feel horrible for my daughter who is 7 yo and in second grade along with the the other K-3rd graders who get on the bus at 6:50 am and do not get off the bus until 4:20pm. that is one long day for those kids. Whereas my boys who are on the Middle School/High School bus get picked up at 7:10 am and dropped off at 3:50pm.