PDA

View Full Version : Palin fixed her Ebay auction

Selena
09-19-2009, 09:27 AM
If this doesn't prove (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/akmuckraker/palin-foe-frozen-out-of-a_b_292221.html) to anyone that SP is a conniving bitch, I don't know what will. I swear, when will the Palinbots wake up to this woman's manipulation of them?

I've been watching the auction myself, to be honest. I felt her little "rules" were completely outrageous... for a benefit auction! I didn't notice the revisions myself until today, but how convenient that the state of the winner, of ALL the states out there... and entire week before the bidding was over, was out of Alabama! What a crock of shit.

SarahP... you are one big phony and the world knows it.

Ravin' Raven
09-19-2009, 11:15 AM
but...

you have a vagina....doesn't that mean you automatically have to LOVE her?????

:wink:

Cyranno DeBoberac
09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Mmmmmmmm..... vagina...... mraghraghraghraghragh.......

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/8600/homer20droolingqs0.jpg

Selena
09-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Mmmmmmmm..... vagina...... mraghraghraghraghragh.......

Should'a know better. Perv!

yet lovable perv. I swear. ;-)

Magdalene
09-19-2009, 03:26 PM
::gets out the mouthwash and gargles over what is about to come out of my mouth::

As much as I hate to defend this twit formerly known as Governor Palin:

1.) She is now a (struggles to say this with a straight face) 'private' citizen (as much as a media whore can be, anyway), and not a public official.

2.) The proceeds are going for a charity to rehabilitate veterans, not a political cause.

So.......under the circumstances.....I can understand her wanting to make sure it's a pleasant evening, instead of one fraught with the possibility of political sniping, since she is supposedly *coughbullshitcough* no longer in the political arena.

Were she still Governor of Alaska, or if the proceeds were going to further whatever political ambitions she may have, I would've been more inclined to say, "Tough, sister, whoever wins, wins."

Gah, I can't believe I just defended her mindset.....

Selena
09-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, Hitler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIaSf3soBzY&feature=player_embedded) is not amused, either.

Cyranno DeBoberac
09-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Well, Hitler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIaSf3soBzY&feature=player_embedded) is not amused, either.

Excellent! I especially like that it's a different scene than the usual one they use for the parody vids.

Selena
09-19-2009, 10:06 PM
1.) She is now a (struggles to say this with a straight face) 'private' citizen (as much as a media whore can be, anyway), and not a public official.

Yet she still defines herself as "Governor".. as if she deserves the right. Oh please. Don't defend. She's a pho--ny. Pure and simple.

How jacked up are the terms? Get this (bolding mine) :

"Dinner shall last no more than four hours, but could be less, in the sole discretion of Sarah Palin.* Governor Palin reserves the right to refuse dinner with a winning bidder if, in her sole discretion, the winning bidder is not a suitable bidder based on her subjective standards of suitability, professionalism, background and other factors. In the event the high bidder is rejected for this reason, the high bidder's bid will be refunded, if paid, and the next highest bidder shall be notified, and thereafter, until a suitable match is determined. "

Wow. Nice. Quite a prerequisite for an alleged benefit auction for a vet's entity. Great... so they get their "donation" as long as it suits SP's whims. Let's hope she wasn't pissed-off THAT day. ::pray::

While I will agree the terms are the terms... they are FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Period. She posted this crap knowing who her "winner" would be a week before it's end. THAT, my dears, is fraud. As if I should be surprised.

Can't wait until we hear about the maternity issue of Trig. Really. :mmph:

Azura
09-19-2009, 10:10 PM
A comment on the article kinda sums up my feelings about this:

"In the event the high bidder is rejected for this reason, the high bidder's bid will be refunded, if paid, and the next highest bidder shall be notified, and thereafter, until a suitable match is determined."

What that means is that Palin was willing to screw the charity out of potentially thousands of dollars because she's unwilling to have dinner with someone she didn't like.

I'm sure the the wounded vets she's doing this for would have appreciated the extra money.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/akmuckraker/palin-foe-frozen-out-of-a_b_292221.html

Add to that the fact that the winner is (a) from Alabama, (b) that the place of the "trip" was changed to Alabama from Alaska 10 days before the auction ended, and (c) the winner is a defense contractor? It's a little fishy. ... oh, and I guess (d) the winner is supposedly a really big Palin-lover.

letitfly
09-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Well, here I go again with some of those goddamn facts, "factoids" when they are disagreeable to your point of view.
As a preamble, I think Sarah Palin is an embarrassment to the entire political process. She cost me money I could not afford last year because everytime I heard her or Joe the Plumber, I dropped a check off at the Obama headquarters.

That said, this was not Sarah Palin's auction, she could not alter or fix anything. The auction was posted and controlled by Ride2Recovery, a charity for injured motorcross riders that has expanded into helping wounded US soldiers. There is British chapter also. All of the bid, 100%, goes to the charity.
It is a Ride2Recovery auction but it is managed by Kompolt, a firm that specializes managing auctions, so thay made the rules and, only they can set rules or change anything. The previous auction, for dinner with Rove, had similar rules.

It is Kompolt that requires the pre-approval and it is standard on the celebrity auctions. It ensures that the winner is nut just a publicity hound with no intention of paying or someone hoping to make a political point. The purpose is to raise money for charity and they need to make sure the donor celebrity is not embarrassed or endangered.

As for the state change, the revision history shows that a blank was changed to AL but I can't see where. The bidding history can be seen and it is clear that nothing was manipulated as the under bidder is known and the bids can be seen and, since we know the under bidder, all bids can be verified.

I would love to bash Sarah a bit but she did nothing wrong here. If it was her auction and I had 70k, it would have been fun to win it and give her a negative.

Selena
09-20-2009, 12:34 AM
gee --

letitfly (http://www.wench.org/forums/member.php?u=10003434) This message is hidden because letitfly is on your ignore list (http://www.wench.org/forums/profile.php?do=editlist).

Do.not.care.

daahhhhhh......

how sweet. He still wants to tangle.:whip:

letitfly
09-20-2009, 12:50 AM
gee --

letitfly (http://www.wench.org/forums/member.php?u=10003434) This message is hidden because letitfly is on your ignore list (http://www.wench.org/forums/profile.php?do=editlist).

Do.not.care.

daahhhhhh......

how sweet. He still wants to tangle.:whip:

then ignore it, dummy. you should at least understand the issues you have such strong opinions about. Ride2Recovery is a great charity and at least palin has done something to help it. Why don't you send them a check?

Azura
09-20-2009, 02:01 AM
I can't really verify this, but I thought it worth mentioning. Some of the articles commenters were following the auction as it happened. As the auction was on its final week or so, the winning bidder was listed as staying on the top despite being outbid a lot by other, "less worthy" bidders.

Just something to think about.

Azura
09-20-2009, 02:46 AM
And just because I thought it was funny:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DINNER-WITHOUT-SARAH-PALIN_W0QQitemZ280399457786QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_G ift_Certificates?hash=item41491c2dfa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

letitfly
09-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I can't really verify this, but I thought it worth mentioning. Some of the articles commenters were following the auction as it happened. As the auction was on its final week or so, the winning bidder was listed as staying on the top despite being outbid a lot by other, "less worthy" bidders.

Just something to think about.

Hi,

I don't think that is possible. All the bids are clearly visible down to the second it was placed. eBay, like any auction, has to be licensed and bid manipulation will get your license yanked. It would take a lot of colluding on the part of ebay to do that.

I don't know why McGinnis would have been blocked since he had been vetted. He may have registered under a fake name and lied during the interview. He did brag on a blog and emailed an Alaskan paper about what he was doing so he would have been blocked once it was clear that he was only staging a publicity stunt to promote his forthcoming book. This was for a worthwhile charity and intended just to be pleasant way of raising money to help badly wounded veterans. I am amazed that my fellow liberals think is so funny to risk screwing up something that was only intended to help soldiers walk again.
The other possibility was that McGinnis was only vetted for bids up to 60k and got blocked when the bid exceeded his allowed credit limit. You do have to register and support your bid with a credit card.

McGinnis could step up and donate the 60k he was willing to spend for a publicity stunt to Ride2Recover. Maybe the Huffington Post could even match it. After this unnecessary mess, Ride2Recover will probably have a hard time getting people to donate their time to the auction. But who cares about guys in wheelchairs as long as you get a laugh and publicity?

Selena
09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
And just because I thought it was funny:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DINNER-WITHOUT-SARAH-PALIN_W0QQitemZ280399457786QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_G ift_Certificates?hash=item41491c2dfa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Yaknow, that's actually something I would actually bid on! And give it away to someone in SC who could use it! That's great!! ::clappin:

Ravin' Raven
09-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Just to clarify the "can you manipulate e-bay auctions thing?" Yes you can. You set up people to continuously bid, set up ridicidulouosly high "maximum" bids that no one would ever out bid and set up to autobid if you are outbid. I actually sat and watched two guys do this to prove a point (they were writing an article for a trade magazine). They placed up a fake auction and had set up six different e-bay accounts from which they placed multiple bids. All automatic, all with a ridiculously high maximum bid.

Now I'm sure e-bay may have tightened up some since then but if hackers can crack into the Pentagon it's safe to say there are people out there capable of rigging an e-bay auction.

And ya know I could not have bid on simply because I would not have had an appetite were I to win. Hearing her speak raises the hair on the back of my neck like nails on a chalk board.

Azura
09-20-2009, 02:03 PM
McGinnis could step up and donate the 60k he was willing to spend for a publicity stunt to Ride2Recover. Maybe the Huffington Post could even match it. After this unnecessary mess, Ride2Recover will probably have a hard time getting people to donate their time to the auction. But who cares about guys in wheelchairs as long as you get a laugh and publicity?

Don't worry - from all accounts I've read, McGinnis fully intends to donate the money he aimed to spend at auction. He supposedly just wanted the chance to get her to answer a some questions. As for the Huffington Post, I haven't heard.

Besides, what Raven said is true: anyone who eBays enough knows that some people have a lot of sockpuppet accounts to help drive up the prices of their items, either to to make an item seem more desirable or to get more money. It's against the rules, yeah, but it's also hard to prove.

letitfly
09-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Don't worry - from all accounts I've read, McGinnis fully intends to donate the money he aimed to spend at auction. He supposedly just wanted the chance to get her to answer a some questions. As for the Huffington Post, I haven't heard.

Besides, what Raven said is true: anyone who eBays enough knows that some people have a lot of sockpuppet accounts to help drive up the prices of their items, either to to make an item seem more desirable or to get more money. It's against the rules, yeah, but it's also hard to prove.

eBay's system scans and checks for multiple bids from bidders that never win, bidders with the same IP address that consistently bids but never wins and other forms of shilling. I have been warned because of having one customer that consistently bid on my beads. At the end of every auction, you can see the entire statiscal breakdown of how often the bidder has bid on the seller's stuff and the percentage of the bids placed on that seller's items. If the bidder is hitting a seller's offerings most of the time and never bidding on similar stuff, probably a shill.
You don't need fancy stuff to shill bid, anyone can just have a friend hit it. The problem is if your shill wins, then you got all the fees and no buyer.
Ebay is pretty sophisticated now and catches a lot of stuff.

In the Palin auction, why shill bid? It is doubtful the charity would run anyone up by shilling and get stuck as the winner of their own highly publicized auction. That would be a killer. McGinnis just got blocked when they realized his intentions.

Azura
09-20-2009, 04:06 PM
In the Palin auction, why shill bid? It is doubtful the charity would run anyone up by shilling and get stuck as the winner of their own highly publicized auction. That would be a killer. McGinnis just got blocked when they realized his intentions.

Oh, I'm not saying they shill bid per se. Just that the whole thing seems a little bit suspect. And not from a money standpoint, just a "it feels like the winning bidder was chosen before the auction was over" standpoint.

As a side note, if the money is going to a good cause, I don't see the harm in bidding it up a bit.

Isabelle Warwicke
09-21-2009, 01:08 AM
Just to point out, I wouldn't really want to sit down to dinner with someone who had wished me ill will. Why sit down to what you know is going to be a grilling and an unpleasant evening and probably be reported widely on?

I'm just sayin'.

Selena
09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Just to point out, I wouldn't really want to sit down to dinner with someone who had wished me ill will. Why sit down to what you know is going to be a grilling and an unpleasant evening and probably be reported widely on?

I'm just sayin'.

Perhaps an opportunity to prove them wrong?

daBaroness
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
then ignore it, dummy. you should at least understand the issues you have such strong opinions about. Ride2Recovery is a great charity and at least palin has done something to help it. Why don't you send them a check?

I may not like some of your points and posts, but I've found merit in some of your arguments. However, would you kindly not lower the level of the discussion/argument by name-calling? Name-calling just lowers the bar of the discussion to kindergarten level. Let your points stand on their own, please.

letitfly
09-24-2009, 11:21 PM

I'm just sayin'.

Hi,

Ebay is a tough market and Palin, being a controversial figure, had to be careful to protect herself and not let a continuing charity fund raiser be compromised.
This newsreel shows that even the most powerful leaders can get scammed on ebay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tDtoZzIOTw

Adios,

SGM

RichardMacHugely
10-09-2009, 03:30 PM

I'm just sayin'.3

Yes, this is why Dick Cheney and other "conservatives" only give interviews on Fox, where they know the toughest questions will be "Why are you so terrific?" and "How come Democrats are so evil?"