PDA

View Full Version : Obama wins Nobel Peace

Holly
10-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I am sure everyone has concluded that I am no fan of the current adminstration. Unsurprisingly, I feel that Obama should not have recieved this award because many of his 'hopes' have really only been dreams at this point. He has had less than a year in office, and I have not seen much in the way of change.

When they are touting all of his diplomatic work, I actually think that HClinton is the one who is truely pounding the pavement. I feel that the 'gains' that were made were on the basis of her work. Which I accept with a grain of salt that on the international stage they are seen at the 'good cop' to Bush's 'bad cop'.

Here is the article:

Obama's Nobel Peace Prize triumph hailed by many
By GREGORY KATZ (AP) 28 minutes ago

LONDON The surprise choice of President Barack Obama for the Nobel Peace Prize drew praise from much of the world Friday even as many pointed out the youthful leader has not yet accomplished much on the world stage.

The new president was hailed for his willingness to reach out to the Islamic world, his commitment to curtailing the spread of nuclear weapons and his goal of bringing the Israelis and Palestinians into serious, fruitful negotiations.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, who won the prize 1984, said Obama's award shows great things are expected from him in the coming years.

"In a way, it's an award coming near the beginning of the first term of office of a relatively young president that anticipates an even greater contribution towards making our world a safer place for all," he said. "It is an award that speaks to the promise of President Obama's message of hope."

He said the prize is a "wonderful recognition of Obama's effort to reach out to the Arab world after years of hostility.

In the Kenyan city of Kisumu, the home province of Obama's father, local radio shows interrupted broadcasting to have live phone-ins so callers could congratulate Obama on his win. Traders in the market huddled around hand-held radios and touts shouted the news from the windows of local minibuses known as matatus.

"When I heard it on the radio I said Hallelujah!" said 65-year-old James Andaro. "It's God's blessing. This win is for Africa."

Matatu driver Ajos Rambanya, 27, said: "I am very happy. Someone who is good is known by his deeds and Obama has proven that."

Another former Nobel winner, Mohamed ElBaradei, director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna, said Obama has already provided outstanding leadership in the effort to prevent nuclear proliferation.

"In less than a year in office, he has transformed the way we look at ourselves and the world we live in and rekindled hope for a world at peace with itself," ElBaradei said. "He has shown an unshakable commitment to diplomacy, mutual respect and dialogue as the best means of resolving conflicts. He has reached out across divides and made clear that he sees the world as one human family, regardless of religion, race or ethnicity."

Still, some said the award came too soon, in light of the lack of tangible progress toward the vital goals of bringing peace to the Middle East, persuading Iran to give up its nuclear ambitions and improving relations with North Korea.

"The award is premature," said Eugene Rogan, director of the Middle East Center at Oxford University in England. "He hasn't done anything yet. But he's made clear from the start of his presidency his commitment to promote peace. No doubt the Nobel committee hopes the award will enhance his moral authority to advance the cause of peace while he's still president."

Massimo Teodori, one of Italy's leading experts of U.S. history, said the Nobel decision is a clear rejection of the "unilateral, antagonistic politics" of Obama's predecessor, George Bush.

"The prize is well deserved after the Bush years, which had antagonized the rest of the world," Teodori said. "President Obama's policy of extending his hand has reconciled the United States with the international community."

Teodori mentioned Obama's efforts to reach out to former adversaries and his landmark speech in Cairo addressed to the Muslim world.

"For now it's still intentions rather then fully implemented policies, but they are deserving ones," Teodori said.

Reaction was far more muted in some Islamic countries. In Pakistan's central city of Multan, radical Islamic leader Hanif Jalandhri, said he was neither happy nor surprised by Obama's award.

"But I do hope that Obama will make efforts to work for peace, and he will try to scrap the policies of Bush who put the world peace in danger," said Jalandhri, secretary general of a group that oversees 12,500 seminaries. "This prize has tripled Obama's responsibilities, and we can hope that he will try to prove through his actions that he deserved this honor."

Others were stunned.

"I don't think Obama has done anything for peace," said shop owner Rana Naveed, 38, in Multan. "I am shocked."

Associated Press Writers Abisalom Omolo in Kogelo, Kenya, Celean Jacobson in Johannesburg, Alessandra Rizzo in Rome and Khalid Tanveer in Multan, Pakistan contributed to this story.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Related articles
Obama's Nobel Prize
Washington Post - 52 minutes ago
Nobel Peace Prize: ten famous winners
Telegraph.co.uk - 1 hour ago
Zimbabwean PM among tips for Nobel Peace Prize
Reuters - 16 hours ago
More coverage (2664)
Add News to your Google Homepage
Map

daBaroness
10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I just saw this myself. Congrats to him. And may he use this award as a catalyst and motivation towards real, sustainable change in the world.

Margaret
10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Good for him I say. He's got some big dreams and ambitions he wants to put in motion.

However, like many people I feel there are many people who want peace and disarmament as well. I think I would be more behind Obama and his Nobel Peace Prize if it were for things he had accomplished.

Alchemist23
10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey, I'm just as hopeful as anyone else...but he hasn't accomplished ANYTHING worthy of a Nobel...at least not yet. I'm kinda O.o about the whole situation.

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
It really makes almost no sense to me that he should get the prize at this point. He might someday earn it, but it's remarkably premature to give it to him now.

On the other hand, this prize is a pretty transparent slap in the face of the previous president (who was massively unpopular in Europe) and will probably send the Obama haters into fits of apoplexy (I'm particularly looking forward to see Glenn Beck's eyes bleeding on the air), so I have to give the choice two thumbs up. :cheer: :-D

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Here's a very interesting take on the inevitable reaction that I saw posted on another board:

"...that's what's gonna make the rightwing reaction so interesting. Just last week they were saying Barack's international shine was revealed as a myth when Chicago didn't win the Olympics. This week they'll be saying Barack's international shine is so bright it's blinding people.

And the sad thing is, all too many of the people who listen to those clowns won't see the disconnect."

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
The best Fark headline for this news:

"Barack Obama linked to terrorist Yasser Arafat"

*rotfl*

Seriously, seeing the exploding heads on the right is going to be the most entertaining event of the year. :-D

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-09-2009, 10:17 AM
[...]
Here is the article:
[...]
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

fyi, we're really not supposed to reprint entire copyrighted articles here. Just a paragraph or two plus a link to the rest of it.

Ysobelle
10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Well, some of the commentary I'm reading makes a very good point: that he's already immensely improved the diplomatic standing of the US to a world horrified by our former militant, unilateral gorilla tactics. When I was in London, they ran a huge spread in The Metro listing all the stupid/laughable/dangerous things Bush had done, with a graphic of him as Porky Pig, saying "T-t-t-t-that's all, folks!" Most of the world now seems to think we have an administration that won't bomb first, send in diplomatic teams later. So yes, far as diplomacy, he's made great strides.

Having said that, I do think it's a little early. But I still think he'll earn it anyway.

Ysobelle
10-09-2009, 10:19 AM
fyi, we're really not supposed to reprint entire copyrighted articles here. Just a paragraph or two plus a link to the rest of it.

Even if you maintain attribution and copyright information? Cos seriously, we all do it.

Selena
10-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Hey, I'm just as hopeful as anyone else...but he hasn't accomplished ANYTHING worthy of a Nobel...at least not yet. I'm kinda O.o about the whole situation.

I'm in the same boat.
I like our President. I really do. But a Nobel?

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Even if you maintain attribution and copyright information? Cos seriously, we all do it.

A) I doubt the copyright holder, especially AP, is willing to make that distinction. IIRC, AP (or maybe it was Reuters) has gone after online entities that have been hardcore offenders.

2) I thought I remember someone official here saying something about how we're not supposed to reprint entire articles, but I might be confusing this board with another one.

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Well, some of the commentary I'm reading makes a very good point: that he's already immensely improved the diplomatic standing of the US to a world horrified by our former militant, unilateral gorilla tactics.

Sometimes, when guys go out to bars to pick up girls, they'll employ a tactic whereby the first guy will go up to a girl and be a total insufferable jerk, so that after she rejects him and when the second guy makes a much more polite run at her, he'll be much better received and likely to score with her.

I can't help but think that the Nobel committee just got that done to them. :-D

Ysobelle
10-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Saith la Snipe:

"Worst case would be a cease and desist - but as long as we credit and link to source, its unlikely they'd ever bother us."

Ysobelle
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I've got it! I know why the Committee gave Obama a Nobel Prize!

They're all West Wing fans!

Holly
10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Saith la Snipe:

"Worst case would be a cease and desist - but as long as we credit and link to source, its unlikely they'd ever bother us."

I am not thrilled about the award going to Obama, therefore, I knew that if I did not post a 'very fleshy' post with both sides I would be lit on fire. Secondly, I was also pre-coffee and If I were to truely cite it, It would be in APA style because that is how I cite. ATM, I am not dealing with school work and theorists, so I 'meh'-ed it.

Sorry if I caused feather ruffles...

Oh and dear Cyrano.... I am a conservative( not part of the Relig-Right), and not all of us are a numbskulled as you portray us.

oh and on a radom note, as I was typing this I just scored a new contract...woot!

Lady Hefron
10-09-2009, 05:32 PM
This from an article today on Reuters website: (bolding mine)

"Nobel Committee Chairman Thorbjoern Jagland rejected suggestions from journalists that Obama was getting the prize too early, saying it recognized what he had already done over the past year.
"We hope this can contribute a little bit to enhance what he is trying to do," he told a news conference."

Thomson Reuters 2009 All rights reserved

So in other words, he hasn't done it yet. I'm sorry but he doesn't deserve it.

Random note to Holly, congrats on the new contract.

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Oh and dear Cyrano.... I am a conservative( not part of the Relig-Right), and not all of us are a numbskulled as you portray us.

I never meant to imply that you were.

In fact, I'm not even sure where I did.

Lady Sarah
10-09-2009, 07:29 PM
What's got me curious... is that he was elected the winner 12 days after he was inagurated.

Frankly, I don't think he doesn't deserve it. He hasn't done anything to earn it.

RichardMacHugely
10-09-2009, 07:47 PM
What's got me curious... is that he was elected the winner 12 days after he was inagurated.

Frankly, I don't think he doesn't deserve it. He hasn't done anything to earn it.

I believe it was the nominations that were closed right after he was inaugurated. I believe the actual voting occurred much more recently. But still. . .

Ysobelle
10-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Here's his take on it:

Nikki --

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

SHpepperKat
10-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Thank you for sharing that with us.

Isabelle Warwicke
10-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I believe it was the nominations that were closed right after he was inaugurated. I believe the actual voting occurred much more recently. But still. . .

He was nominated 12 days into office. To quote the Nobel Commitee he won for "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." [CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html)] There was also something about a world without nuclear weapons in there also. I guess his promises are just too good to pas on. I honestly hope he follows through on them. But I believe that applause is premature.

But what happens to the $1.4 million he just won?

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Here's his take on it:

Nikki --

[...]

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

I think that it's so hot that you're on a first name basis with him. ;-)

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-10-2009, 05:02 PM
But what happens to the $1.4 million he just won?

He's distributing it to charities to be named later.

I'm pretty sure that, as a matter of law, he can not, as a sitting president, accept the money (or any other kind of gift) for himself.

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
A quote from a State Dept spokesman, on this year's Nobel Peace Prize:

"Certainly from our standpoint, this gives us a sense of momentum - when the United States has accolades tossed its way, rather than shoes."

Azura
10-10-2009, 11:55 PM
A quote from a State Dept spokesman, on this year's Nobel Peace Prize:

"Certainly from our standpoint, this gives us a sense of momentum - when the United States has accolades tossed its way, rather than shoes."

::rimshot:

Mistress Morigianna
10-12-2009, 10:43 PM
hey i can think of a country that could use that prize money......