PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to Abortion?

Ravin' Raven
10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Article below:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ReproductiveHealth/abortion-addict-admits-multiple-abortions-suicide-attempts/story?id=8826305

my personal opinion: she had a much more deep seeded psychological problem that manifested itself through her multiple abortions. But of course this is being turned not into a woman's personal issue but a pro-life/pro-choice issue in the press.

surlywench
10-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Article below:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ReproductiveHealth/abortion-addict-admits-multiple-abortions-suicide-attempts/story?id=8826305

my personal opinion: she had a much more deep seeded psychological problem that manifested itself through her multiple abortions. But of course this is being turned not into a woman's personal issue but a pro-life/pro-choice issue in the press.

okay. so.

History of addictive and harmful behaviors in siblings and family? check.
Royally Fucked childhood? Check.
Abusive Husband? Check.
Awful Marriage? Check.

this isn't about pro-choice/anti-choice, it's about a deeply disturbed woman who should have been given WAY THE HELL MORE HELP than she seems to have gotten. Someone should have been pointing her in the direction of a psychologist rather than a gyn....

Torra
10-15-2009, 09:07 AM
I agree - she needed more than physical medical help. I honestly don't emotionally understand why what should be an intensely personal choice always becomes a bone of contention if there's the slightest exposure in the media. "Person A in such-and-such story is a rotten human being because she killed her baby" kind of thing, when the story was about the fact that there's an established Planned Parenthood currently being protested or something like that. Intellectually I get it, but it still baffles me.

What we should be doing is taking a lesson from this woman's story: our system needs to be set up in such a way that she could have gotten the help she needed. Our society didn't help this woman, so she grabbed what she could and she clearly regrets the fact she "abused" the ability to get an abortion. Of course, it's possible that she was offered it and denied it, during the course of discussions with her doctors. But for pro-life people to marginalize her experiences because she had multiple abortions is far more flawed, writing a sensationalist headline to try and grab readers. Being pro-life means they would want to help her, not demonize her. That they would have taken her and her children (had she not aborted) from the home of her abusive husband, even if it meant supporting them on welfare. The article's right about one thing: nuances are definitely there in this issue, and they aren't going away. Hers is just one more added to the experiences of so many other women whose situations we don't know.

Ravin' Raven
10-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Torra you hit exactly my point - I titled my thread the way I did because that's how the mass media were portraying it - "Addicted to Abortion!!" as opposed to portraying it in a way that would have driven home the correct underlying message of the story.

(though I have to admit - one of my first thoughts was dear goddess after that many abortions how did she continue to get pregnant!)

Kat Sparrow
10-15-2009, 03:13 PM
okay. so.

History of addictive and harmful behaviors in siblings and family? check.
Royally Fucked childhood? Check.
Abusive Husband? Check.
Awful Marriage? Check.

this isn't about pro-choice/anti-choice, it's about a deeply disturbed woman who should have been given WAY THE HELL MORE HELP than she seems to have gotten. Someone should have been pointing her in the direction of a psychologist rather than a gyn....

Couldn't have said it better myself, Surly.