PDA

View Full Version : why am I the halloween police? Rant!

Mistress Morigianna
10-18-2009, 04:18 AM
I love halloween, I love the costumes, decorations, candy, the costumes......::whistle::

I am thinking of ditching halloween this year and going to a movie. I am just tired of all the mess.

I live in a historical neiborhood with small streets. We are a "drop off" neiborhood. The streets are packed, close together and have lots of older folk who are home and decorate thier houses. People bring thier kids and drop them off to trick or treat.

This used to be fine, busy but fine. In the last few years we now have monster trucks, hummers, & suv's that dump the load of kids at one end and follow down the street at .5 miles an hour.
#1- Get out and walk with your kids you dickwad! #2- the streets are narrow- if you do not pull over and let cars going the other way go by you will not go anywhere. Last year 2 rows of huge cars were face to face in the middle of the street honking for 45 minutes as the rows of cars behind them got longer because noone would pull over. #3- then there are the cars blasting boom box music and rattleing the windows on my house.

We will not mention the yelling and screaming kids running across the street all over with out looking. Jumping in & out of pickup trucks (thought that was illigal?) and such. Cutting across the yards and trampling plants rather than walking on the sidewalks.

Next issue is Why am I the halloween police? It used to be- put on a costume, go trick or treating- saying trick or treat. Then get goodies, say thank you and go to the next house. This is not rocket science.

Now I am telling people- No costume- no Candy! a group of teens dressed as prosti-tots is not a costume when it is your school clothes. Family with one small kid in a costume and 2 adults, 1 teen and a baby without costumes is one costume! If the adults are in costume I have no problems. I will even streech it a little if the baby in the carriage is in a costume (even though i know the 8 month old is not eating snickers...) BUT come on- its 9:30 Pm you are in high school and just walking around with a paperbag (or del taco bag!) and want candy!

I also think that the person should be there. No bags for "my sibling that is home sick" " My cousin who is too small to come...." "my sibling who broke thier leg...' etc.

I also have to hand out the candy, if I leave a bowl- it's gone. If i hold a bowl out so they can take a piece- they take a handful. Really - this is the parents! Little kids take one piece. The parents take a handfull and put 3-4 pieces in thier bags.

Normally I wouldn't care much but we have trick or treaters starting at 4pm and it goes to after 10 (you can turn out you lights and they will come and knock asking if you are awake!) I have give out 50.00+ in candy before. ThEN ran out and started giving out stuff from the kitchen- snack bars, jello cups, weird soy bars from the natural products show- LOL

Last year I started giving skull erasers and hershys kisses. I got stickers and was giving that to the obnoxious teens. Be all gangbanger with a spongebob sticker!!!HA HA. I love the little kids that get all happy when i give them the happy meal toys (i save them from the rest of the year).

next year i am buying all the 1 cent crayon boxes at office max and giving out crayons!! LOL

There is another thing I am seeing. The trick or treaters are casing my house!
They look in the door and say "hey nice computer!" or " hey nice posters, why so many books?" "Kewl fairy statue!" " are those swords real?" etc. Makes me nervous.

So am I just becoming a hallooween grinch? Is this stuff happening other places?

Torra
10-18-2009, 09:27 AM
It happens other places. This year I'm handing out candy with my fiance's mom because their neighborhood has bratty kids who got to her house and when she handed them microwave popcorn, said "Why are you giving us crap when you're rich and live in a huge house?!". I should clarify she's neither rich, nor is her house huge. Her neighborhood has a couple million dollar homes, yes, but hers is nowhere near that. Then there are the kids who smashed all the pumpkins we put out last year, and tore apart the hay bales. And no, group of teenagers, it was NOT funny to chase that 6 year old girl dressed as Glinda down the street with a chainsaw, regardless of if the chain is off.

But as you say, my favorites are the parents who don't seem to understand the point of Halloween. We've had parents come up with their kids (small kids, elementary school age or younger) not in costume, and INSPECT the treats we give. Not to make sure they've not been tampered with, but checking to see how healthy it is. Then when it doesn't meet their granola-and-soy standards, demanding that we give their pwecious something else, then hustling them out of there before their kids can even say thank you.

Margaret
10-18-2009, 09:53 AM
We've been lucky. We live on a cul-de-sac in a very family friendly neighborhood.

We too have kids bussed in from other neighborhoods but due to our street, we don't have the people driving up and down. That may be an issue on the other streets though.

We took HG trick n' treating when she was 4 months old. She was dressed up in her little bee costume and we just went to our neighbor house.

Sidebar: We have video somewhere of that little itty bitty enjoying her first safety sucker. Grandma was holding her so she could 'stand' on the floor, Daddy was holding the sucker. Her was one happy itty bitty! That sucker never stood a chance!!

Jon and I have always followed HG around to trick and treat. Some parent in the neighborhood has a golf cart and 'patrols' the streets just to make sure all is well. Yes some lawns get trampled a bit, but I have not heard of anyone's property being damaged. The older kids are even in costumes of some sort and will do the 'trick and treat' routine.

I have not handed out candy at the door since the kid started trick and treating, so I don't know who shows up. My in-laws have never reported any trouble though.

RaevynCait
10-18-2009, 10:21 AM
The last time I was home on Halloween a couple of years ago, in my old house, I had my porch light OFF, and a sign on the door AND the porch columns that said, in English & Spanish (it was a predominantly hispanic neighborhood) NO CANDY, and had rope tied across the porch entry at the top of the steps. Now, let me preface this with the fact that I DIDN'T KNOW ANY KIDS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, except the ones right next door and I knew they they were going trick or treating with their cousins in another town, so I'd done little goodie bags for those 2 that I gave their mom when I saw her earlier in the week.
Now, when I was trick or treating, the rules were 1. only houses with porch lights on, that are people either you, or someone in the group (once we were in packs without Mom waiting at the end of the sidewalk) KNOWS. 2. ALWAYS say thank you. 3. Accept the treat gracefully, even if it's something you don't like, trades will occur at home. 4. no eating any of it until you get home & mom can make sure it's not tampered with.
So I'm sitting in my living room, with the big lights off, but watching TV and doing a cross stitch with a lamp on over my shoulder. (TINY house, there was nowhere else that I could go to do that) My doorbell rings about 8 pm, REPEATEDLY when I didn't answer the first time. I open the door, and there are 3 little kids, aged 6 or so at the door, with their moms (I guess) on the sidewalk at the bottom of the steps to the porch and a baby in a stroller. Obviously the kids had just come under the rope. I said to the kids, very nicely "Sorry, I have no candy, that is why my porch light is off." The kids said "Oh, ok" but one of the moms said loudly and quite bitchily "YOUR GARAGE LIGHT IS ON." I responded NICELY "it is a motion sensor security light that came on when you crossed the driveway, it wasn't on before that". When the kids got down the steps and they turned to leave, I heard one of the moms say 'bitch didn't have to be rude about it' or some such thing! UMM, SERIOUSLY? I was the one with not just the universal no candy sign (porch light off), but also a rope blocking the entry to my porch, and signs in English & Spanish that said no candy, but I'm the one being rude about you ignoring those 3 signals?
Last year I went to a party and was gone til late that night, and that's my plan for this year too.

Lady Hefron
10-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Yikes...I don't blame you for getting angry.

Last year we put a bowl of candy on the porch because we weren't home. We came back and most of the candy was still there (at 10:30pm).

Three years ago, before we moved here, we had problems with the teen element. We lived off a park and we got a lot of teens trying to take all the candy and smashing pumpkins and a few other decorations.

Ravin' Raven
10-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I have only ever lived in one area where you could really trick or treat and it was a fairly new development while I lived there so there were few kids - my former spouse gave out a few things and I ended up eating the rest.

I do not give out candy - I am too busy celebrating my Samhain rituals but I've heard many people complain about it over the years. Seems like it's another way for all of the bratty kids (and parents) to assume that the world owes them. I've even heard people at work be the people you are describing and complain when people choose not to give candy - hey folks - bad economy - if it's dinner for two nights or a ridiculous sum on candy guess what people are going for!

This year my house is sitting on the side of a kind of small mountain on a road that is not exactly pedestrian friendly at the best of times - besides most of the houses around here are for summer use only and have been empty for a few weeks now. So I guess I'll get some nice peace and quiet (and nice dark evening - yay to almost no light pollution).

Of course the husband will be in town for the first time in almost two months so I won't want to be disturbed anyhow. ::laughingdevil::::wicked::

Laurensa
10-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I haven't passed out candy in years, but my kids follow the same rules I did when I was little.

ONLY houses with porch lights. Say thank you. Walk on the sidewalk.

And I always, always go with them. I can't imagine sending them out unaccompanied.

Trick or treating has very strict hours in this area--6-8 p.m, PERIOD. And I don't get the idea of teenagers going out either. Steven already knows this is his last year, and T&T is for kids.

I was 13 the last time I went, and it turned out one of the houses I went to belonged to one of my teachers. He made a big deal about me having been out T&T the night before, and I wanted to die of embarrassment. That was when I knew I was too old for Halloween.

merestelle
10-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I have been volunteering to work on Halloween for the last few years.
I don't like to be home.
a couple of years ago my SIL had a guy push his way into the house, fortunately her french mastiff came to her rescue and the guy took off!

When we were young, and the way I raised my kids...
You only went to houses with the light on
you stayed in your own neighborhood
one piece of candy each
you stay with an adult or if over 12 you stayed with a parent approved group of friends
You wouldn't even think of going out without a costume, that was what it was all about getting to dress in costume!
Respecting people and their property is a given 365 days a year

shyanwench
10-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Awwwww, Halloween memories... When I lived in Germany, only the "American" kids would do trick-or-treat. However, it was so great! All the kids had been instructed by our post commander that they had to at least, earn their "goodies." Each kid had to either tell a joke or do a trick! Best Halloween Ever! The tricks were cute. The jokes were sweet, cute and sometimes naughty. It was a pleasure to reward the kids... even the teens. That was the year I made costumes for my girls. The were Little Statue of Liberties. When they walked down the street, they got applause. I think we were all home-sick. Now--I miss the good ole days.. Anyone still bobbin for apples?:snicker:

Gemdrite
10-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Our school does a party on Halloween to give parents a safe alternative to trick-or-treating, plus I'll be moving all day to my new apartment, so I won't be at either house during trick-or-treat time. I've always held the belief, however, that you are never too old to trick-or-treat, as long as you make the effort to dress up. If you are 12 and don't have a costume on, sorry, no candy. If you are 42 but you have a costume on, here, help yourself! And I always offer candy to those taking younger siblings around, cause that was my job when I got "too old" to trick or treat. I don't recall ever having issues prior to my moving to Cali, and I've never been at home since I've moved to Cali, so no horror stories for me, I guess.

Mistress Morigianna
10-18-2009, 02:29 PM
we have the celebration/rememberance ceremony on the first of Nov this year at the shop. I would rather do it a day later and not be interupted all night.

my BF reminded me of the other thing- groups of kids standing at the front side walk yelling- what you got?what candy you got? - to see if it is "worth" coming down the driveway to the house.....

one year i was in the bathroom and he didn't get to the door quick enough and 2 of my purple battery opperated pumpkins were taken.

I am thinking I will just hand out candy bags at the shop this year and then go to a movie- LOL

Lady Marta
10-18-2009, 07:54 PM
my husband and my first home was in a big neighborhood where they actually closed the streets off at about 6pm(you better be home before then or your parking at the high school and walking home!) and everyone from the town would just drop their children off and come back and get them in 2 or 3 hours, not kidding! i was completly appalled! i was heartbreaking, trully! but apperantly this had been the happening for years! zach and i bought, litterally, 60 or 70 dollars in candy and still ran out by about 9! we of course decorated(it was our first home!) and much or that disappeared. we had teenegers dressed as themselves saying "fork it over lady"....really? my dad would have whooped my ass in public! and it was nothing to have more then half houses in the neighborhood either tolietpapered, forked, or egged over night! every once in a while we would have a parnet show up with their children and it would make it all better.....at least for a minute. it just amazes me what halloween has turned into, we quit giving out candy after that first year, but now we are in our new home, and i can only assume we will be trying again fresh this year.

the rules were easy when i was a kid in a small town
~dress up.
~always stay with mom and dad.
~only go to houses with lights on.
~SAY THANK YOU.(were have manners gone to?)
~and dad has to inspect all candy(and of course pick his favs:))

it was just that easy. huh? guess things change. parents just dont care anymore.

Mistress Morigianna
10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
ok i have to ask- what is Forked on a house?

RaevynCait
10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
ok i have to ask- what is Forked on a house?
It's a LOT of work. The idea is to take the white plastic forks and put them all over the yard, either in a pattern, or just randomly, making sure, however to put them just a wee bit more than arms' span apart, so they can't pick up 2 at once, and have to get up and move to pick up the next one. It's quite entertaining to see the glowing white sticks reflecting the headlights. Like I said though, it is a LOT of work

Jamianne
10-18-2009, 09:59 PM
We're usually not at our place Halloween and we've never given out candy at our co-op. Though the one year I was home I was 8 months pregnant with Gwydion and was not about to go walking up and down the stairs every time the bell rang. So I left the porch light and most of the inside lights off. There are some little kids by us, but it's mostly roving teenagers, so I don't feel too bad about it.

After ringing the bell repeatedly the pounding on the door would start. When that didn't get anything, the doorknob would shake and rattle as they tried to open the door. Then the mail slot was opened and the yelling of "Where's the candy? Where are you? We want candy!" would start. If I didn't answer the door when the bell rang, do you really think I'm going to after being shouted at?

It seems that greed and entitlement has taken over Halloween recently, too.

Annabella St. Clair
10-18-2009, 10:53 PM
As to the rude teens with no costume, that's what Milk Duds are for. I give them the empty boxes of the Milk Duds I've already eaten earlier in the day.

Isabelle Warwicke
10-18-2009, 11:02 PM
I bought my home on halloween last year. My friends brought me a housewarming gift of a cauldron full of candy, which was great. TWe had light trick or treaters and they were all super polite.

This year I have to work, so I won't be home. I might leave a bowl with my neighbor, just in case though.

Lady Marta
10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
It's a LOT of work. The idea is to take the white plastic forks and put them all over the yard, either in a pattern, or just randomly, making sure, however to put them just a wee bit more than arms' span apart, so they can't pick up 2 at once, and have to get up and move to pick up the next one. It's quite entertaining to see the glowing white sticks reflecting the headlights. Like I said though, it is a LOT of work

exactly....its a pain in the neck..... and just for the record, if they turn the forks as they put them in, they tear up a good yard!

daBaroness
10-19-2009, 02:04 AM
As to the rude teens with no costume, that's what Milk Duds are for. I give them the empty boxes of the Milk Duds I've already eaten earlier in the day.

OMG - this total rocks! I think I'd put my mini dachshunds turds in the boxes. But I'm really mean and evil.

Cupcake
10-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I've been noticing similar things here, but thought it was mostly because I don't live in the best neighborhood. Granted, in the 6 years I've lived here, I've only been home for Halloween once, but that was enough to make me not hand out candy here again. Very few of the kids were in any kind of costume at all. There were teenagers everywhere with eyeliner on to make them "Goth" I was not amused at all. I was raised with the same rules as the rest of you. Heck, it was a huge deal the year my siblings and I got to go with the group of friends. And, we stopped when I turned 13. I did go again when I was 16, but I was babysitting and dressed to amuse the kids. I was shocked when people offered me candy because I was dressed up.

I planned my sister's baby shower on Halloween this year. Mostly because it was the first weekend after Faire. So, if I do anything for TT, I'll go help my niece and nephew. If theirs is even on Sat night. The communities in this area set their own day & specific times. That is the good part.

But, I agree. The idea of a movie or party is great.

LdyJhawk
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Honestly, Halloween is something I'm going to miss in my old neighbhorhood in Santa Clara.

The kids were fantastic! Outside of the occasion when one teenage boy in a highly creepy outfit startled a six year old Wonder Woman into throwing her candy bag in the air and crying (wasn't his fault, she turned around to walk down the driveway as he was coming up and BAM!), there was never an issue.

First Halloween there I put out a sign with "Strangers with Candy! ---->" on it painted in old blood red paint. Parents thought it was HILARIOUS. That was my only decoration for the evening and it was a hit. Best memory? The neighbor's little boy was out trick or treating for the first time at about 16 months dressed up as a teddy bear..so he has a sucker he's been eating in one hand and goes to put it in the bowl to take his new candy! He had to give something back, you see! So he crawls inside after I say nono, it's ok. He puts his arms up demanding to be picked up so up he came and we painstakingly inspected the candy to determine what would make it into his little pumpkin bag.

So adorable.

Now back in Kansas....I'm a little concerned, actually. The kids up the street tend to be loud, rude and obnoxious when it ISN'T Halloween...

Vixynne Rose
10-19-2009, 08:02 PM

I think a tiny little note (sort of a Chinese fortune cookie-esque slip of paper) would be the perfect thing to tuck in there.
"No costume--No manners---NO CANDY! Happy Halloween, you little monster." (Then just hope they don't open it till they've well and truly forgotten who handed them out!)

Molly The Pirate
10-20-2009, 03:50 PM
trick or treating was the best thing ever when i was a kid. i had 2 slightly older cousins and we would go around my mammaws neighborhood. it was nice because it was either there was a porch lite, or no porch lite. simple as that. we always said thanks. now that i've got my 2 year old, we cant go to that neighborhood anymore. its turned into a place with a lot more crime than 12 years ago. so we take her to her other grandmas house. and i hate to say it like this, but it is a rich neighborhood. no crime in the past 3 years. nothing of the sort. and 90% of the homes give out either good candy or good gifts. its a nice treat for my daughter since she can actually eat most of what she gets. and i love the area we go to. i've read all the posts and think that the things all of these stupid parents and bratty teens are doing is horrible. and if i were some of you ladies, i'd find a party and say forget it. :)
oh and by the way, my rant for the halloween season; what the hell happened to the louisville zoo's biggest halloween party? i took my daughter this year with my friend and her daughter, and it was terrible! i understand that the economy is bad and since they are getting new exhibits they need to save money... but still. this was unbelievable. they set up about 20 stations to give candy out. but half of those were hard candy that my child cant eat (they advertise this "party" as something for the 10 and under children, but its mostly all toddlers that go"). or they were handing out a tiny box of crayons (which is fine) and then would give you a zoo pamphlet at the next booth, but it wouldnt have any coloring spaces in it! (which is silly). i mean, i understand that it was a lot different when i went when i was 8, we got cokes and hot dogs and lots lots lots of candy, but now i dont know if it was worth the 8$ a person to get in. they dont open it until almost dark, most of the animals arent even out, they dont give you your money's worth. but in this economy, i guess thats what everyone else is getting, ripped off.

Psyche
10-21-2009, 12:59 AM
We live in a subdivision and we get hundreds of kids - and we only have maybe 20 total living here. We are Scrooges and turn the lights off and leave and go have fun elsewhere.

SilverMirth
10-21-2009, 08:18 AM
In Maine we had a generally good neighborhood.There were hundreds of kids coming through. There were a few teens that were rude but they were in a minority. I only had my pumpkins smashed once and it was after Halloween and I think that was done by a group between the ages of 10-12. The teens didn't come around until later in the evening - well after the younger set had been through. It was hysterical when I started seeing members of Jimmy's boy scout troop coming through. I razzed them horribly. I didn't see them the next year.

I ususally have a caludron of candy over a "Fire" and last year I left a note in glow in the dark chalk that said "The witch is out flying her broom right now. Please take a treat but not all or you will be cursed." I then took my kids on the rounds and came back to find the cauldron still in place with only a fraction of the candy gone.

My yard was used as a photo background for many a trick or treater and I had my pic taken with the a lot of them. It was generally a fun night. I stay outside in the driveway to hand out candy, animal crackers/pretzels, or doggie treats depending on the age/type of child with the parent. (For the doggie treat - I handed it to the owner)

This year we are in a subdivision here in NC. There are several dozens of kids of varying ages and from what I have been told the kids that live on the country roads around the subdivision will be through. So we'll see what this year brings.

Bonnie Strangeways
10-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I live in the middle of ....nowhere. The toolies. B.F.E. *lol*

However, just in the offchance that some brave soul decides to chance my dark and scary driveway, we leave two of my big dogs in the house (lights off so as not to attract anyone) and a sign on the door that says "no candy here". If they're dumb enough to knock...then they deserve to have the shit scared out of them when Apollo's teeth show up in the window. (Mastiff/Akita/St. Bernard mix. Over 200lbs...looks scary, total pussycat in reality) The other dog's too lazy to get off the damn couch...but he's great for barking and growling.

We take the black newfie with us and our kids to my sister's house for trick and treating. He loves to dress up and enjoys playing with kids. He has a pair of wings, glasses, and we spike up and dye his mohawk different colors. I'll try and get a picture this year. We walk him around the neighborhood on a cat leash (great obedience training) and he's the life of the group.

Adriana Rose
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Its nice the bigger town in my area closes off the main drag so the kids can Trick or Treat at the bisnesses there.But it gets REALLY crowded with older kids and the little ones get ran over. It makes me mad cuz little ones like my nephew and Little Bit still say Trick or Treat and Thank you and the older kids run them over! We are going to go super early this year so they dont get trampled. Its great one of the book stores gives little halloween books instead of candy! The boys LOVE that!

Since they do the big thing in town at lot of people dont do the house to house Trick or Treat. But still there are the knot headed teens that TP poor innocent trees that I have to climb to get it off of, and then some idot lost thier shoes over the power lines 0_o.

This year mom is going to hand out candy since its the first time ever we are going to be here so we'll see how the kids are.

Bronya
10-21-2009, 05:45 PM
I live in a gated community so none of the brats that "expect" a treat. I just feel bad for my grandson's. We loved Halloween back in the 50's. At least my daughter's chruch has a "trunk or treat". You bring your cars, decorated if you want, parked all over the church yards and lots and the kids go from car to car!

Annabella St. Clair
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm taking my nephew to a Trunk and Treat on this Friday. It's held by a church of one of my work team. Never been to one of those but after I was invited I saw more signs about it around.

Sat is our big day. Every year I take Joey, the nephew, to Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI for their Hallowe'en trick or treat event. Yes, they even spell it Hallowe'en. Cool. Anyway, not much as far as candy but you get a beanie baby and treats from Michigan companies. You walk the village and all the way there are over 1000 lighted real pumpkins, the old houses are lit up and some have ghosts in them, hot cider, pirates on a ship, big and fancy old fashioned costumed people, and a headless horseman. Of course, the first time Joey wasn't at all frightened by the Headless Horseman because all he saw was the horse and went right up to the fence. Now he understands that it's suppose to be scary. They even put ghosts on the carousel and have it going around with strobe lights.

This event sells out nearly every year and it's even $15 a person, even children over three. The thing about it that's special, is you get the feeling of what old fashioned Hallowe'en is like and everyone has fun.