PDA

View Full Version : Ren Faire Jezebel

Isabelle Warwicke
10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Maryland Ren Faire landed some coverage in the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/16/AR2009101601708.html). (Which feels like getting made fun of, IMHO.) Then Jezebel (http://jezebel.com/5390055/the-renaissance-faire-beer-breasts--sexual-harassment) picked up the story.

I'm still not sure if Jez is calling the wenches out or supporting them as a group.

What do you think?

Gemdrite
10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
I really don't get the point of her article. To me, all it seemed like she did was cut and paste parts of the Washington post, but not actually make a point. If I'd submitted that article to any of my professors, heck, even my high school English teacher, I probably would have failed the assignment.

Lady Anne
10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Neither article seemed too far pro or con regarding Faires per se.....but some of the comments after Jezebel's article kinda ruffle my feathers a bit. Especially this one...

12:12 PM (http://jezebel.com/5390055/the-renaissance-faire-beer-breasts--sexual-harassment#c16270262)

Wow, how empowerful. Love the concept! Hey, fat girls, come show us your tits and we'll forget you're big, gross fat-asses because, like, it's totes historically accurate to ogle your boobs when they're all pushed up and in our faces. It's a time to embrace your jiggly fatness for the one thing it's good for: TITS. It'll make you feel special and shit.

As a big fatass myself, I'd just like to say thanks but no thanks Ren Faires, this isn't very "faire" at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That one really got me steamed....I am of the larger sized woman group myself and I don't feel that I dress for Faire to "make me feel special and s**t"...I go because I love the friends we've made, and because I enjoy the atmosphere. I go because it is fun, pure and simple. It is an escape from the harsh reality of today's society which enables me to get through the work-week. Something I sorely miss during the off-season!

Its a shame these people who posted some of these borderline venomous thoughts have never truly experienced a RenFaire and its community.

Katie O'Connell
10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Maryland Ren Faire landed some coverage in the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/16/AR2009101601708.html). (Which feels like getting made fun of, IMHO.) Then Jezebel (http://jezebel.com/5390055/the-renaissance-faire-beer-breasts--sexual-harassment) picked up the story.

I'm still not sure if Jez is calling the wenches out or supporting them as a group.

What do you think?

I think that would take a journalist who 'gets' faire to do a report on it that most of us would appreciate. As it is now, any writer could be given the assignement, and they go out and see the show, ignorant of whether that guy in the plastic kilt and $1 plastic pirate hat is a regular, a first timer, or a cast member. They see the costumes that a lot of us grimace at, and make all kinds of judgements on what the faire is all about.

Both articles are written just like 95% of the pieces about RenFaires are: It points out the teenagers in their cosplay-esque garb, the goths, the families of mixed costumes, and the obligatory mention of extreme bodice wearing. Then it launches into some bad wikipedia history bit about the meaning of the word 'Renaissance' (and if the whole world hadn't already known what it means) and getting the first hand--and therefore obviously correct (<---sarcasm alert) --definition of the word "W/wench' from a random passerby. Do the writers think this "helpful" bit of education validates their lame efforts to inform the reader (of things they probably already know)?

sigh. The Jezbelle story was tripe once removed...why was this piece even written? It's just a rehash of the WP article-- The author could have saved time between Starbucks Lattes and just inserted a link to the WP piece.

God forbid a journalist show up on DAY OF WRONG - I can only imagine what kind of press a show would get then. :blech:

Lady Hefron
10-26-2009, 09:38 PM
It is obvious that neither Jez, the original article writer nor most of the comment writers "get" the Ren Faire. It is amazing that everything most of them wrote came down to sex.

I do not wear a bodice to feel empowered sexually, nor do I do it to let "it all hang out". I wear a bodice because I like them and I like the way I look in one.

Ren Faires are an escape for me and most of the people I know. Oh, and as far as the sexual comments, anything beyond flirting is always put down, usually by the Rouges around me.

Annabella St. Clair
10-27-2009, 12:38 AM
The Jezebel article had no defined point but appeared to allude to the idea that fat women allow themselves to be objectified at faire and the women are just too dumb and desperate to know. The comments appeared to be from many women who somehow got attention at faire that they didn't want. They could have gotten that same negative attention anywhere else. I get hit on by icky men all the time in regular life.\

I think the people who go to faire and understand enough that they "don't truly get it" don't like feeling left out and they tend to lash out. I have been part of several activities in my life that may be seen as non traditional because you had to have a talent to do them (dancing) or needed special clothing or supplies (horseback riding and ren faire). I have seen backlash from regular people to every one of my hobbies. I'm just not a person who watches sports, goes shopping at the mall, and eats at a local chain restaurant each weekend. My life is not balanced. I work hard and do ren faire. I'm not normal.

Lady Sarah
10-27-2009, 12:38 AM
usually by the Rouges around me.

Your blush talks? :snicker:

And it's the same for me, re: bodices and faire. I like the escape. It gives me a chance to let my hair down and relax and be someplace where I'm not someone's daughter or someone's employee, I don't have to deal with phone calls and needy customers, I can fling the innuendos and sass people without fear of reproach or reprisal and I can do whatever I can to make someone smile.

I wear a bodice because I like how I look and feel in one. I like the way I can distract a man so that he walks into a tree/chair/building. I can't do that outside of a bodice - and damn, does it give me an ego boost to know that it's possible. I don't hike my tits up to my chin, my neckline isn't perilously low and the closest I get to a bosom buddy is Skully... and he's only there on Pirate Weekend.

Alas, sweet Skully... he died with a smile on his face. ::waggle::

daBaroness
10-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Frankly Scarlett, we are a bunch of geeks in garb. And we probably get made fun of more often than not. But who the hell cares?! We do it for the fun of dressing up and role playing. We do it for the momentary escape from the stress of modern-day life. We do it for the friendships we make with other faire freaks who do "get it." I don't get the popularity of NASCAR - I mean, really? Watching cars go around an oval over and over again?! But for the people who do enjoy it - whatever revs your engines folks.

So-called journalists are just trying to find a new angle for their pud story. The Kansas City Star has actually done some very nice write-ups on KCRF over the years. And they have done a series of the people behind the characters that show us to be from all professions and walks of life. From children to retirees.

Piss on 'em if they don't get it. There are apparently enough of us who do enjoy it that have kept many faires open and thriving for 30 years or more.

Lady Hefron
10-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Your blush talks? :snicker:

That's what I get for typing on vidican ::kooky::

wrenchwench
10-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Frankly Scarlett, we are a bunch of geeks in garb. *snip*

Piss on 'em if they don't get it. There are apparently enough of us who do enjoy it that have kept many faires open and thriving for 30 years or more.

Now I am going to be running around today singing "we're geeks in garb!" :snicker: Wonder how long it will take me to make a whole tune out of it.

But seriously your right, enough people like/love faire that there is no need to worry about the people who are still immature enough to need someone to put down in order to feel superior.
I personally, have been enjoying 26 yrs (yikes!) of faire and don't regret a bit of it. Instead of this article think of all those who gave it a chance on our recommendations and now have a garb closet, lol.

Selena
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Agreeing with some here... the Jez piece was really redundant. Felt to me as is someone took their snarky pill that morning and just wanted to bitch.

Molly The Pirate
10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
ok, so i've never been to a faire yet, but i think that article sucked. even if i've never been, i doubt that bodices and boobs are the only reason any "fat girl" goes. i'm a fat girl. and i cant wait to be able to go to faire. if people dont get why we go, then they just dont get it, and they dont matter to me one bit. so what if we wanna go "play dress up" and have a good time. its what we LIKE to do. and if someone is going to look at us like we're weird or freaks, oh well. coz i'm certain that they've got something that they like to do that isnt exactly "normal", i'm not gonna judge. and noone else should be judged for faire either. the only part that REALLY got me was "For many, though, there is a pull greater than this, something that drives grown women to squeeze themselves into tight bodices and inspires men to package themselves in codpieces for a day, to briefly escape to this bizarre and anachronistic world. But precisely what that draw was, I couldn't yet say." that one kid of hurt. and even though everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if they are going to use their opinion to put us down, then they need to keep it to their damn selves.

SHpepperKat
10-27-2009, 05:04 PM
bizarre and anachronistic world.

Isn't that what we return to every time we LEAVE faire? Where else are people judges so harshly but in the so called real world. I feel less judged and more accepted by my faire acquaintances and friends than I do the ones in the "real" world.

Gemdrite
10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
I think all the articles proved to me is that some of us never grow out of that high-school mentality. You know, the "I don't get it so let's make fun of it" mentality. And it didn't stop me from doing it then, it won't stop me from doing it now, and it's very sad to me that some people can't grow up and move on.

Lady Anne
10-27-2009, 08:46 PM
SHpepperKat;382833]bizarre and anachronistic world.

Isn't that what we return to every time we LEAVE faire? Where else are people judges so harshly but in the so called real world. I feel less judged and more accepted by my faire acquaintances and friends than I do the ones in the "real" world.

Oh boy, did you hit that nail on the head!

Lady Hefron
10-27-2009, 08:56 PM
bizarre and anachronistic world.

Yup! This.

daBaroness
10-28-2009, 01:39 AM
We had a costume contest at school tonight - so I just dug in my garb box and threw something on. The student advisor (a young guy who looks like Shaggy on Scooby Doo) told me he liked my costume. I looked at him with complete seriousness and said, "what costume Howie, I didn't wear one tonight - I came as myself." He just howled and said, "that's true!"

Cyranno DeBoberac
10-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Everything you need to know about the article can be summed up in the blurb about the author near the end:

"Rebecca Bengal's most recent article for the Magazine was about the Maryland yo-yo contest."

She's a hack.