PDA

View Full Version : Maine Illegalizes Gay Marriage

voodookatie
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
And legalizes discrimination. Yay Maine :unamused:. We aren't as liberal as people think we are.

Article (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/11/03/2009-11-03_gay_marriage_is_put_to_a_vote_in_maine_.html)

Ysobelle
11-04-2009, 05:33 PM
A friend of mine this morning said he went out for coffee and couldn't stop looking at everyone around him wondering, "Was it you? Do you have that much hate in you? Do you hate me that much?"

I'm disgusted. But not deterred.

shyanwench
11-04-2009, 10:36 PM
It breaks my heart when stuff like this happens. I couple of my best lady friends, left the country and got married in Paris...I Don't blame them!

I wonder if someone could sue, under the premises of a hate crime.

I do find it very hateful that others would smite someones "right to happiness" Shame on them...

So, on one end of the spectrum we have discrimination of heterosexuals getting married because they are of different races, and discrimination of homosexuals getting married... WTF is the matter with people these days... oh yeah... and the guy who walks around buff in his own house...

despair.... despair.... despair....:mmph:

voodookatie
11-05-2009, 12:27 AM
How do I get something put on a ballot? I need to collect signatures, right? I want to be like that mother who says "If you can't play nice, neither of you get it" and just take marriage away from everybody. You can still get married at a church, but in the eyes of the government everyone has a domestic union.

What really makes me sad is that my family (if some of them had cared enough to vote) would have or did vote Yes on 1. And my father, who I love dearly and who raised me to treat everyone equally, got into an argument with me over why he thinks that marriage should just be between a man and a woman. I've sort of lost my faith in religion after this whole #1 fiasco; how can I be part of a religion which says "'do unto others' except...".

Maybe I should just run for president? I'd definitely do my best to bring some common sense back to the people of the United States.

Azura
11-05-2009, 04:39 PM
This somewhat reminds me of a story. I already forgot when, but years back we had an election... might have been for the legislation, Senators and whatnot. On it, for the county(...or state?), was a "gay marriage ban" bill. Everyone, just seeing "don't let gays marry", voted for it. I voted against it. My Dad said "I hope you voted right" when we were walking home, meaning to ban gay marriage. I told him I voted right, because I did. :aok:

LissaRoisin
11-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Voodookatie, I got in the same argument with my mom, and they raised me with the same belief.
I was very sad to hear that it was made illegal in another state. It's like there are parts of the country trying to take steps forward, but there are still enough to hold them back. Its very very sad..... Love is love, it knows no race or gender.

Bronya
11-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Maine is as out of touch as California is...sad, sad.

Mistress Morigianna
11-08-2009, 06:41 AM
as a minister I will tell you- Gay & Lesbian people STILL marry. They just don't pay an extra 65.00 for the piece of paper :shhh:

Bronya
11-08-2009, 08:22 PM
^ I am so glad they do, just wish they could get the benefits.

Mistress Morigianna
11-09-2009, 02:20 AM
well in Ca they have more benifits because of the laws here. It still is crazy that people have any right to vote on how people LOVE

daBaroness
11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
This kind of stupidity just makes my blood boil. It's a civil issue - but once again the religious types make it a religious and moral one. I just wonder how the hell anyone who claims to be someone of faith ...

Oh nevermind - it's religion that's caused the world's problems throughout history.

God is not pleased.

RikkiD
11-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Agreed, Baroness. Marriage is nothing but a legal contract. It can be performed by a judge. No religious ceremony need be involved. So the whole 'Biblical argument' goes out the window.

It's small minded people, discriminating against others who are different.

I'm for gay marriage. Why shouldn't homosexuals suffer like the rest of us?" *rotfl*