PDA

View Full Version : Teacher citing "religious rights" to be fingerprinted

Selena
11-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I swear... you just can't make this shit up (http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=11458231).

This country is insane.
I'm quite ashamed for my state as well... we don't all think this way down here.
Nothing like regurgitating 2000ish-year-old scripture to make your point to suit your needs in today's society.

Don't wanna have your prints taken? Fine... but don't you dare cop-out on your bible. :roll:

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A Polk County teacher is suing the state for requiring her to be fingerprinted for a background check, saying it violates her religious freedom.

According to her attorney, Scott Skelton, of Lufkin, Pam McLaurin believes the book of Revelation literally and that getting a fingerprint would bear her the mark of the beast and she would be "be tormented in burning sulfur."

Gemdrite
11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
The mark of the beast is something you put on/in your skin....your fingerprints already exist. Methinks someone has something to hide and is using scripture to hide behind. Which makes the rest of us look bad.

I actually thought about you Selena in church yesterday. The sermon was about how "outsiders" (those outside of the Christian church, the guy was trying to find a word that didn't have a negative connotation but I don't think he completely succeeded) view Christians and the Christian church. I think he was pretty spot on, too. Which is quite a shame, really. Not all of us are complete dingbats. We just don't make for good tv. :unamused::roll:

RaevynCait
11-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I can attest to the fact that while it seems TX does have more than its share of whackjob religious nuts, we are a LARGE state, and for some reason our whackjobs are very public, but they REALLY don't represent the rest of us.

and Gem, I have to agree that it is the whackjobs that are so public about "Christianity" and what is the "right" way to believe/worship/live that give Christians as a faith system a negative connotation.

Bean
11-09-2009, 10:13 PM
This whackjob had better find another profession, pronto. No school district will hire her without a background check. She had to have known what would be required of her in order to get a job in education so why bother if you don't think the requirements pertain to you. It's like doctors refusing to treat someone or some condition on religious grounds.

Selena
11-09-2009, 10:41 PM
guess what... so last week, I was at the DMV to renew my driver's license. AND... I was instructed to place my thumbs on their little device for their "records". (it's a new thing, btw)

Uh-huh... I suppose she's going to claim religious right for that, too??

While I will be the first to admit, I DID feel uncomfortable with it... the entire "Big Brother" kinda thing... but shit... I don't really have a choice now, do I! Submit... or don't have a legal driver's license.

Mistress Morigianna
11-09-2009, 10:55 PM
some banks orsupermarkets require a thumbprint to cash checks

Selena
11-09-2009, 11:51 PM
some banks orsupermarkets require a thumbprint to cash checks

Ooh, really?
See, the difference I see this this --- you can pay in different ways at the store. Cash is good! Not saying I agree with their rule... but still.

Honestly... I have no choice. If I wanna continue to drive legally in my state, as I've done now for 25 years now... I will have to provide them with my thumbprints. I don't like it. I've got nothing to hide, but it's simply the entire they're-watching-you-mentality that bothers me. But as I said... what other choices do I have? Don't drive? In TEXAS?? Not.Likely.

Isabelle Fawkes
11-10-2009, 12:08 AM
guess what... so last week, I was at the DMV to renew my driver's license. AND... I was instructed to place my thumbs on their little device for their "records". (it's a new thing, btw)

Not so new, since I had to provide a thumbprint twelve years ago! When I moved to Texas from New Jersey, I was required to provide a thumbprint when I transferred my drivers license to my present residence.