PDA

View Full Version : Texas billboards using scripture to promote *not* hating gays generates controversy..

Cyranno DeBoberac
11-09-2009, 11:57 PM
...go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHqwBDVeVTM

My favorite part is the fundie whackjob who was angered by the suggestion that bible quotes could be used to promote equality and said, "How dare you take the scriptures and twist it to fit your needs?"

Make sure you have a doctor nearby when you watch that video, lest you succumb to irony poisoning.

Selena
11-10-2009, 08:44 AM
http://carriesager.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wwjd_shirt-300x186.gif

surlywench
11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
My favorite part is the fundie whackjob who was angered by the suggestion that bible quotes could be used to promote equality and said, "How dare you take the scriptures and twist it to fit your needs?"

i...this....my brain....it's all bendy-like.....

Isabelle Warwicke
11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
....fundie whackjob ...

How do you know she's a fundie whackjob? Or are you just assuming.

Betty Munro
11-12-2009, 02:31 PM
"How dare you take the scriptures and twist it to fit your needs?"

Yes, how dare they. We all know that not a single Christian would ever twist scripture to meet their own needs.

There are good and bad in all groups, I'm not anti Christianity, just anti hypocrite.

LdyJhawk
11-12-2009, 03:36 PM

I'd like to think that her intense outrage and "cringing disgust" at someone "twisting the scripture" would indicate a fundamentalist christian attitude...and then her desire to email them cranky letters and be interviewed on television to further emphasize her deeply offended Christian beliefs would sort of trend towards "whackjob"

I know that I also find it horrific enough to cause me to cringe in disgust when people ask if Jesus would discriminate..... or..not...

Isabelle Warwicke
11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, how dare they. We all know that not a single Christian would ever twist scripture to meet their own needs.

Lots of groups do it, whackjob or not.

I'd like to think that her intense outrage and "cringing disgust" at someone "twisting the scripture" would indicate a fundamentalist christian attitude...

I cring in disgust at a bad cup of coffee. I am outraged when they try to serve me decaf. That doesn't make me a coffee fundamentalist. Also I know many Christians who do not advocate gay marriage and wrinkle their noses at it regularly, who live in sin and iniquity outside of a marriage of their own. It makes them hypocrites, not fundamentalists.

and then her desire to email them cranky letters and be interviewed on television to further emphasize her deeply offended Christian beliefs would sort of trend towards "whackjob"

Haven't we all mailed off cranky letters? People run off and dash an email to a company anytime their pasta is overcooked (I should know.) So writing letters of umbrage has become common place. I know my Representatives are certainly tired of seeing my signature on the bottom of a page. It doesn't make us whackjobs.

You show me where this woman is a card carrying member of the Church of Phelps, some armed Brighamite compound or some other infamously wretched group and I'll allow you to call her a fundie whack job. She could just be one of the people who sit on the far right side of the fence. I, myself, do not agree with her and applaud the group for finding Gay Advocacy in the Bible. I am however, sick and bloody tired of everyone who shows up on this board with conservative leanings being branded by the same paintbrush.

LdyJhawk
11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Perhaps allow may not be the best word to have used there

Lady Hefron
11-12-2009, 05:58 PM
There isn't a religious group out there that doesn't do some creative interpretation with their religious texts. Seriously, show me one religious group that doesn't. Just because some people disagree strongly doesn't make them fundamentalist.

Lady Hefron
11-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I am however, sick and bloody tired of everyone who shows up on this board with conservative leanings being branded by the same paintbrush.

Yup...me too.

Ysobelle
11-12-2009, 06:02 PM
There isn't a religious group out there that doesn't do some creative interpretation with their religious texts. Seriously, show me one religious group that doesn't. Just because some people disagree strongly doesn't make them fundamentalist.

We do it every day-- with thought, and logic, and pragmatism. Ongoing, generation after generation. That's why we're Reform Jews, and not Reformed.

Your semantics lesson for the day.

Cyranno DeBoberac
11-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Did you watch the video?

Cyranno DeBoberac
11-12-2009, 06:51 PM
You show me where this woman is a card carrying member of the Church of Phelps, some armed Brighamite compound or some other infamously wretched group and I'll allow you to call her a fundie whack job. She could just be one of the people who sit on the far right side of the fence. I, myself, do not agree with her and applaud the group for finding Gay Advocacy in the Bible. I am however, sick and bloody tired of everyone who shows up on this board with conservative leanings being branded by the same paintbrush.

I would think that you would want her to be considered a fundie whackjob.

But if you would rather have a person who cringes in disgust at a billboard that says "Would Jesus Discriminate? WhyWouldWe.org", opposes gay advocacy, and decries twisting the scriptures without a hint of irony or self-awareness considered as being within the mainstream of conservatism, then you're welcome to have her.

I'm sorry for assuming that you would want to keep better company.

Cyranno DeBoberac
11-12-2009, 06:57 PM
She could just be one of the people who sit on the far right side of the fence. [...] I am however, sick and bloody tired of everyone who shows up on this board with conservative leanings being branded by the same paintbrush.

Will you allow for the fact that "far right" is different from merely having "conservative leanings"?

If so, your assertion has parallelism issues.

Alluring Alora
11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
{It makes them hypocrites, not fundamentalists.} {I am however, sick and bloody tired of everyone who shows up on this board with conservative leanings being branded by the same paintbrush.}

I agree, and continue to love my intelligent, outspoken and gorgeous friend! (who I miss a lot, by the way!)

Blue Pixie
11-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I am however, sick and bloody tired of everyone who shows up on this board with conservative leanings being branded by the same paintbrush.

God I love you!

Isabelle Warwicke
11-14-2009, 02:09 AM
I love you all too.

Even you, Bob.

Cyranno DeBoberac
11-14-2009, 04:14 AM
I love you all too.

Even you, Bob.

Hate the sin, but love the sinner. ;-)

Isabelle Warwicke
11-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Quoting Ghandi is hot.

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

Katie O'Connell
11-15-2009, 01:19 PM

Well, that's because unlike some sins, many of us find you impossible to resist.

renren
11-15-2009, 03:54 PM
*sigh*

So tired of all the hating...

daBaroness
11-15-2009, 05:44 PM
*sigh*

So tired of all the hating...

You said a mouthful!!!

Ysobelle
11-15-2009, 06:00 PM
So...should I blame the fact that I don't have a boyfriend on Teh Gayz? Or are they why the economy sucks? Global Climate Change?

Seriously. How is someone else's sexual orientation impacting my life in the slightest?

Mistress Morigianna
11-15-2009, 10:53 PM
thread jack-

saw a line on a tv show last night that will now be a part of my vocab when dealing with bigits and crazy people for ANY reason (the one in the show was a skin head)

"I;m sorry I don't speak IGNORANT"