PDA

View Full Version : OSHA releases crowd-control guidelines for protecting workers during retail sales eve

Jamianne
11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
After the stampede that killed a WalMart employee last year, OSHA has released new crowd control guidelines for retailers to use during sales events. Shame that it took a fatality to bring this into the regulatory spotlight. Hopefully some good can come of it and it won't happen again.

Of course, people not acting like animals because they have to have some stupid gadget or gizmo or gift would help, too. But in lieu of that...

Released Nov 17, 2009 - article here (http://osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=16737)

US Department of Labor's OSHA provides crowd control guidelines for protecting workers during retail sales events

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has prepared a fact sheet (http://osha.gov/OshDoc/data_General_Facts/Crowd_Control.pdf) providing crowd control guidelines for retailers to protect workers during major sales events.

Last year a worker was trampled to death while a mob of shoppers rushed through the doors of a large store to take advantage of an after Thanksgiving Day "Black Friday" sales event. The store was not using the kind of crowd control measures recommended in OSHA's fact sheet.

"Crowd-related injuries during special retail sales and promotional events have increased during recent years," said acting Assistant Secretary for OSHA Jordan Barab. "Many of these incidents could be prevented, and this fact sheet provides retail employers with guidelines for avoiding injuries during the holiday shopping season."

The fact sheet provides employers with recommended elements for crowd control plans. Plans should include having trained security personnel or police officers on site, setting up barricades or rope lines for pedestrians and crowd control well in advance of customers arriving at the store, making sure that barricades are set up so that the customers' line does not start right at the entrance of the store, preparing an emergency plan that addresses potential dangers, and having security personnel or customer service representatives explain approach and entrance procedures to the arriving public.

OSHA also recommends not allowing additional customers to enter the store when it reaches its maximum occupancy level and not blocking or locking exit doors.

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, OSHA's role is to promote safe and healthful working conditions for America's men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, outreach and education. For more information, visit http://www.osha.gov.

Betty Munro
11-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Wow. I just watched a cable special that claims (based on DNA evidence) that current humans are not descendent of Neanderthals. I believe this type of uncontrolled mob behavior begs to differ.
I hope this year's Black Friday is fatality free.

Mistress Morigianna
11-20-2009, 07:40 PM
i hope more places do what office max did.

had everyone line up against the building. (they had a rope and a person telling people to get in line) then right before opening they went through and started with person #1 asked what they were getting- then gave them a paper for that sale item (s).

they went to the next person- and so on until all the papers were gone.
This way noone was shoving to get in and get thier sale item as they were being held for them. they could shop and pick up thier item when they checked out.

Sorcha Griannon
11-20-2009, 09:16 PM
The local Walmart is going to have roped off single file lines going to electronic and where ever the sales are. Lets hope it works

Sorcha

FayeCutler
11-20-2009, 09:30 PM
i hope more places do what office max did.

had everyone line up against the building. (they had a rope and a person telling people to get in line) then right before opening they went through and started with person #1 asked what they were getting- then gave them a paper for that sale item (s).

they went to the next person- and so on until all the papers were gone.
This way noone was shoving to get in and get thier sale item as they were being held for them. they could shop and pick up thier item when they checked out.

That's what our local Best Buy does. I had to play line cop one year when I worked there. After we let people in they took their tickets to customer service, got the item, and then got in line to check out. At the height we had the line wrapped around the inside of the entire store twice. We directed traffic by telling people to "Find Nemo". The line cop at the end was carrying a large Nemo balloon and a huge sign so they could be easily spotted from anywhere. Worked out great actually! :)

LdyJhawk
11-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Lots of walmarts are going to be open 24 hours and they will simply start the sale prices at 5 am. So people can be in the store, they can shop and wander around..but they can't get/pay for the sale price until 5 am

They did that at my mom's local walmart last year and while there were hundreds of people there wasn't a bit of crazy wild eyed shoving shoppers. Was sort of nice

erinrai
11-21-2009, 04:36 PM
The local Walmart is going to have roped off single file lines going to electronic and where ever the sales are. Lets hope it works

Sorcha

From what I have been told (I work at a WM) is that this will be company standard this year. As well as WM actually helped to get the OSHA standards pushed through.