PDA

View Full Version : Air Force New Policy

Bronya
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=71077&catid=2

What do you think? I can underdstand if it was offensive but it is his name. Just as he is proud to serve his country, he is proud of his name.

RaevynCait
12-01-2009, 04:14 PM
On the one hand, yes, he is proud of his name, but I think that:

1. "offensive" is very subjective and a whole argument of its own
2. while tattoos are more widely accepted than they once were, and, I do have 4 myself, there is an image of professionalism and respect, and having ink up and down your arm does not project such an image to many people
3. all of the branches of the military have regs about ink, when my brother joined the USMC back in 1988, he had a fresh new tattoo on one bicep, that was not "offensive", gang-related, or carrying any sort of negative connotation, but because of the regs, he was required to wear a bandage over it any time that his shirt sleeves weren't covering it.

Bean
12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
The Air Force gave my nephew such a runaround about joining that he told his recruiter to shove it. You would think that the Armed Forces would be eager to take people in since recruiting goals haven't been met for, how many years??

My nephew's shoulder surgery/physical therapy release expired while the recruiter had all his paperwork. He would have needed to get new releases and then even if he was sworn in his records would have been kicked up to a higher authority and he still may have been disqualified. Now, a friend of his had a broken NECK and he got in to the Air Force.

Lady Hefron
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
The Military had all sorts of regulations regarding how you look in uniform, short or long sleeve. They govern how short your hair is, how many and what kind of earrings, rings and watches you can wear, what kind of sunglasses and back packs you can wear, etc. Regulations on tattoos are no different. Also, anytime a regulation changes all current and potential Military persons must comply.

While I feel bad for this boy, if he wants to join get the tat removed.

Cyranno DeBoberac
12-01-2009, 09:29 PM
It wouldn't have been so bad if on his other arm he didn't also have a tattoo that said "Dirty".

Alchemist23
12-02-2009, 12:48 AM
In truth, I think it's a silly reason to not allow someone to serve, just like firing someone for refusing to tuck a shirt in is ridiculous.

I understand standards, but really?...that's just silly.

daBaroness
12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Really? Really!

Stupid.

Kae
12-02-2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=71153&catid=2

They have given a grace period to those that previously qualified.

However; it makes sense. The military represents the United States as a whole. While the people serving in the military are individuals, when people around the world look at them - they see the USA. Strict regulations ensure a visual representation of the US as a whole not as individuals.
Kae

Lady Hefron
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=71153&catid=2

They have given a grace period to those that previously qualified.

However; it makes sense. The military represents the United States as a whole. While the people serving in the military are individuals, when people around the world look at them - they see the USA. Strict regulations ensure a visual representation of the US as a whole not as individuals.
Kae

Exactly. If you want to assert your individuality the Military isn't the place for you.

Bronya
12-02-2009, 02:00 PM
What about cops with tattoos on their arms though? You see that all the time.

Bronya
12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
It wouldn't have been so bad if on his other arm he didn't also have a tattoo that said "Dirty".

::rimshot:

Alluring Alora
12-02-2009, 02:24 PM

teehee, you craked me up

daBaroness
12-02-2009, 05:59 PM
What about cops with tattoos on their arms though? You see that all the time.

Yeah - like the douche that arrested my son Cameron when he was about 18. He had swastika tattoos. Did I mention my son is mixed race?!

But seriously? Cameron is now 25 and in the Army. He has an entire sleeve dedicated to the Army and the military - especially those who've served. He meets regulations - none of them show when he's wearing ACUs (which are long-sleeved). I guess the Air Force and the Navy are the short-sleeved guys. Soldiers and Marines are the long-sleeved guys?

Lady Hefron
12-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Cops aren't Military.

Anyone who has a swastika tattoo is an ass who has no business in public service, unfortunately that isn't something that is regulated (not sure it should be, but that's a different argument).

Reaper
12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah - like the douche that arrested my son Cameron when he was about 18. He had swastika tattoos. Did I mention my son is mixed race?!

Well your son obviously didn't get arrested for just having swastika tats. Obviously he did something else to get arrested for.

Funny how much the race card gets played when someone gets in trouble.

Gellis Indigo
12-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Well your son obviously didn't get arrested for just having swastika tats. Obviously he did something else to get arrested for.

Ummm, the son didn't have the swastika tats. The cop that arrested him did.

Bronya
12-03-2009, 04:33 PM

HUH???

Cyranno DeBoberac
12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Ain't dangling modifiers a bitch? :lol:

daBaroness
12-04-2009, 01:45 AM

Reaper - with all due respect ... my son doesn't have a fargin' swastika tattoo - the redneck cop did.

AND - the charges were dropped because the judge realized the only reason the boys were pulled over was because one was Mexican, one was Italian and the other was my mixed-race son.

Finally - I hate it when people pull the race card as a shabby excuse or transparent cover-up probably more than you. But racism is alive and well and it gets pretty damned annoying when people get pulled over and harrassed repeatedly because of their skin color. When Cameron comes home on leave he often gets pulled over and when he shows them his military ID - all of a sudden they're all buddy-buddy and whatever he was pulled over for disappears in cloud of excuses and friendly chatter.

Other interesting observation - people treat my sons one way and then if/when they meet me - they're all of a sudden very polite and accommodating. One of the funniest oops moments I've witnessed is when the swastika tattoo'd, redneck cop was mocking and harrassing the boys outside the courtroom until I walked up from a visit to the ladies room and asked if there was a problem. The cop began to explain he was just giving the boys some "friendly advice" when I said, "oh, that's very nice of you to look out for them officer, particularly when you noticed they weren't accompanied by their attorneys or parents. I'm Cameron's mother and I'll be sure to let our attorney and the other boys' counsel know how nice and helpful you've been to them.

The douchebag turned white as a KKK sheet, mumbled something about having to get into the courtroom and left as fast as he could. He knew, that I knew he'd acted inappropriately. We asked for a continuance because one of the boy's lawyer had a conflict and guess what? The cop didn't show up for the next court date. Why? Because he knew he'd been busted. I won't go into the details - but suffice it to say that the real criminal was the one wearing the uniform.

I wish I could see the look on that cop's face today if he could see my tatto'd son in his Class-A uniform with his all of his medals and commendations and his pending promotion to sergeant.

Ysobelle
12-04-2009, 02:23 AM

Just...wow.

Lady Hefron
12-04-2009, 10:52 AM
The douchebag turned white as a KKK sheet

DaB.

That made me laugh. I love your turn of phrase. God bless you and Cameron.

Gemdrite
12-04-2009, 09:20 PM
When Cameron comes home on leave he often gets pulled over and when he shows them his military ID - all of a sudden they're all buddy-buddy and whatever he was pulled over for disappears in cloud of excuses and friendly chatter.
Well, to be fair, pulling the military card tends to have that effect regardless of what race you are. Not that I am criticizing your son, I've just watched my, as you so eloquently put it, white as a KKK sheet friend do the same thing over and over. :-D

Azura
12-05-2009, 04:46 AM
I don't see what the hubbub is about. That tattoo comes out like sa-n-chi-e-su, not sa-n-chi-e-zu.

I guess it's pronounced closely enough, though.

Selena
12-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Looks like all the hubbub got them to thinkin' this wasn't such a great idea afterall. (http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=71300&catid=2)

SACRAMENTO, CA - One week after the Air Force adopted a strict prohibition of tattoos on the "saluting arm," the new policy has been scrapped.
A spokeswoman for the Air Force Recruiting Service in San Antonio, Christa D'Andrea, said the regulation that took effect Nov. 25 has been dropped and the entire tattoo policy will be reviewed.
"It's an effort to standardize the policy for all members of the Air Force," D'Andrea said.
As many as 17,000 recruits who joined under the delayed entry program were potentially affected by the ban on right-arm body art. The Air Force said it did not want tattoos to be seen when an airman salutes. The updated policy also prohibited tattoos on either hand.
This week some recruits were told they had been disqualified under the new rule even though their tattoos had been approved under previous, more lenient guidelines.
The tattoo ban was first reported Monday by News10 and generated national attention and controversy.
D'Andrea acknowledged media coverage played a role in the decision to reconsider the tattoo crackdown. "It was unfortunate there were recruits caught in the middle," she said.
Enlistees who were not able to begin basic training this week at Lackland Air Force base because of the new tattoo policy would be rescheduled for future dates, D'Andrea said.

Psyche
12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I have no problem with the military choosing to accept or not accept those with tattoos they do not deem appropriate.

LadyLaura
12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't have a problem with it, either, but I do have a problem with these "caught in the middle" people. To have the tattoo approved, have a delayed enlist date, and then have the thing UN-approved really stinks. I think they should have at least "grandfathered" those that were approved under the old policy. I don't see why that would be such a big deal, since others obviously were accepted under the old policy, too. Isn't this sort of common sense, or am I missing something? Now, of course, it doesn't matter, because they've decided to scrap it altogether.

Lady Hefron
12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't have a problem with it, either, but I do have a problem with these "caught in the middle" people. To have the tattoo approved, have a delayed enlist date, and then have the thing UN-approved really stinks. I think they should have at least "grandfathered" those that were approved under the old policy. I don't see why that would be such a big deal, since others obviously were accepted under the old policy, too. Isn't this sort of common sense, or am I missing something? Now, of course, it doesn't matter, because they've decided to scrap it altogether.

You are definitely missing something. Your expecting common sense. Silly girl.

Gellis Indigo
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
You are definitely missing something. Your expecting common sense. Silly girl.

Wait, what? I've never heard of that before.

Magdalene
12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm actually surprised 'long sleeve' tats are allowed. When I was in the Army (1988-1994), you couldn't have a tattoo that would be exposed if you wore summers--meaning short sleeves.

Basically, if the uniform didn't cover it, you couldn't have it.

Magdalene