PDA

View Full Version : Santas getting asked for the basics this year: shoes, socks, glasses...

surlywench
12-18-2009, 09:18 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/please-santa-get-dad-his-job-back.aspx

It takes a special kind of person to be a Santa. I couldn't get these kinds of requests and not wind up in tears myself.

Sorcha Griannon
12-18-2009, 11:40 PM
I couldn't get these kinds of requests and not wind up in tears myself.
Kinda like I was while reading this?

Sorcha

Annabella St. Clair
12-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I work as a social worker and I just happen to play Mrs. Santa Claus at the yearly foster children party. Our agency was very lucky this year to be able to provide all our children and even the young children of our "children/teens" with something for Christmas. We had generous donors, though a bit less than last year, and then a company who was willing to give us the money to buy coats, jammies, warm clothes, and a nice toy. Most every child got a coat.

I'm glad to see the Santa's are able to refer the families that come to their attention. Good job on their part for thinking forward.

Bronya
12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Kinda makes our problems seem petty and not really so bad. Glad there really is a Santa that can help.

Blue Pixie
12-23-2009, 07:57 PM
It just makes you think about just stepping back and enjoying the simpler things in life.

Mistress Morigianna
12-24-2009, 07:09 AM
my mom knew we were adults when we asked for socks&underwear for xmas. we had moved out and found out how much they cost!!!

LissaRoisin
12-25-2009, 03:37 PM
My family does a giving program every year for my parents' church. Some families ask for things like a Wii or PS2 or cell phone. Others ask for things like blankets, socks, and clothes in general. It really goes to show where the need really is.

Annabella St. Clair
12-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I had a long rant to post with details but then changed my mind. Basically, along with all the good tidings I saw this year, I also saw some very bad cases of the gimmees and I only got my spirit back on Dec 24th. I saw people rip apart all the hard work we did at a party in a matter of an hour, take all the balloon centerpieces apart or home, pout because I didn't have enough candy canes, eat $400 worth of $5 pizza and try to steal whole pizzas, not say thank you, suck through tons of food, complain, and wait around till the very end of the party to steal two centerpieces I had put aside for my boss and another worker. Crikey, they were behind a check-in table and on top of my own stuff. Those people aren't poor and make many times my pay each month.

I'm glad I have a year before next years party. I need that time to get excited. I had to drop character this year to redirect children who were wrecking the place. Mrs. Santa may not make an appearance next year. Maybe I should be the female version of Jack Frost.