PDA

View Full Version : do you what this is?

Mistress Morigianna
01-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Survey-

do you know what "happy paws" means?

hint- cats do it.

I use this term and my BF says noone he has ever met does except my family. he has asked online and noone knows what it is. Is this term just my weird family? I thought it was a common term.

Ladies- what do you think?

Annabella St. Clair
01-11-2010, 01:49 AM
We call it kneading. But I understand I think.

BronxGirl
01-11-2010, 02:25 AM
We call it kneading, also.

Sandina
01-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Kneading?

Buxom Wench
01-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Duchess does it on her favorite blanket or on me.
She gets into so much, her eyes roll back and almost close.
Sometimes she even drools. :roll:

But yeah, kneading, paw-pawing, happy paws, whatever you want to call it.

Funny thing is, she never did this as a kitten but, started at about 2 years old.

lady Amalthea
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
my kittie is 5 years old and still does this, in my family we call it "making biscuits". My mom has this bunny stuffed animal with a fluffy tail and my cat will knead on it and suckle the tail. The vet said it was because she was the runt of the litter and didn't get enough attention from her mom. She also said she will probably never grow out of it because it's a comfort thing to her. She does it when she is stressed or upset about something. It's kinda cute.

Alluring Alora
01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
my husband call sit happy paws, my friends and I calle dit making bisquits.

I've mostly adopted the "happy paws" moniker now. My cat Murray is a world class fleece-kneader. Even if it's just the belt from my robe next to me on the couch, Murray is right there, kneading, then napping.

What's the human equivalent of that? I would love to find that simple bliss daily, like the Murminator does...

Bronya
01-11-2010, 02:14 PM
OMG!! You are wonderful. My dog, Denver does it everynight!!!. He crawls up on my lap and sucks the head of this suffed sheepskin "baby'' and rubs on the body part and falls asleep. I have NEVER heard of this behavoir or a term for it!!! I just thought Denver was being Denver.

Azura
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Is Denver a Choodle, by any chance? He looks like my sister's dog, Sookie....

My Alice does this to me, too. She didn't really do it that much before. As time goes by, she seems to like to get up on my lap and knead at me more and more. As far as human equivalent goes, I myself have this weird tactile fixation on silky things. I have since I was a toddler, according to my mother. I find it very soothing. :lol:

Bronya
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
^ No, he is a pound puppy. They said part Terrier and part Chiuahua. He jumps like a terrier but bigger than a Chiuahua. About 10 lbs. HIs coat grows so he gets trimmed often. Is a Choodle Chihuaua and Poodle?

Azura
01-11-2010, 06:07 PM
^ No, he is a pound puppy. They said part Terrier and part Chiuahua. He jumps like a terrier but bigger than a Chiuahua. About 10 lbs. HIs coat grows so he gets trimmed often. Is a Choodle Chihuaua and Poodle?

Yeah, a Chihuahua and toy poodle mix. Sookie's fur looks just like Denver's in the picture you posted. She's such a tiny thing, but she's pretty cute. Really good with toddlers, too! She seems to have taken to my 2-year-old son.

Anyways, uh... sorry to jack the thread!

Betty Munro
01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
happy paws ... hmmm ... we just always called it annoying in my house. Don't get me wrong, I sure do LOVE my kitties, but those darned claws poking you in the leg, or arm, or back at night when you are finally drifting off to sleep.
Happy paws ... if I had to blindly guess without any hint, I would have thought it meant what a boy does to his girlfriend in the movie theater ...
LOL!

Molly The Pirate
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
my mothers cat is the queen of happy paws. and she wont let you trim her nails either... so ouch. lol.. my cats, on the other hand, only do that to me when they know that they were bad or got in trouble and want to suck up to me. :)

EvilKittie
01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Yea, kneading. My cat Zoe does this on fuzzy blankets but her brother does not. She may have also been the runt of the littler but I'll never know for sure, lol. When we adopted them we were told that they had two other siblings that were already given a home.

Katrina
01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
My dad's cat, Trixie does the kneading thing. She'll get up on your chest and knead your shoulders and she actually does the weird suckling thing on your neck....it was ok when she was a kitten, but now that she's grown into this huge tiger of a cat, its a lil painful on the girls unless I'm lying down when she does this.

Lady Laurie
01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
it was ok when she was a kitten, but now that she's grown into this huge tiger of a cat, its a lil painful on the girls unless I'm lying down when she does this.[/quote]

PSI- paws per square inch.

Ysobelle
01-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I have a kitten (now roughly seven years old) here I rescued from under a bush when she was, ok, maybe three weeks old. Far too young to be out on her own. For this act of mercy, she has never forgiven me.

She despises me. Absolutely loathes me. I am permitted to rub her ears, but only for brief periods, after which she will hiss and run away. If I, or anyone else, attempt to pick her up, she will growl incessantly, and once put down, deliver a parting hiss of great vigour and distain before departing. She hates me, she hates my other cats (though after six years, I have just started seeing her play with the Siamese), she hates other people. She hates everyone.

Except my dog.

As I write this, she is beside my dog, her face buried in Clue's fur, kneading at her belly. She does this frequently, and it is the only time she ever purrs. Before she started this, I wasn't even sure she could purr.

Even more bizarrely? Well, kneading is what animals do to make their mother's teats let down more milk when they nurse. And sometimes, though my dog has never had puppies, her nipples leak. I kid you not.

Branwen
01-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Siren & Ursus are both kneaders. Siren will knead on my back or side before she lays on me in the middle of the night or in her attempt to get me to wake up. Ursus is an Intentional Kneader, he will knead when he gets into bed, but it is usually an attempt to get closer to Siren & pounce on her. He also will knead me in the early morning in order to wake me up. If I don't respond to him he will then bite. Of the two I much prefer Sirens kneading than Ursus', he's just too mean when he gets that way.