PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Aid to Haiti

Bronya
01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Just wondered what everyone's thought on the huge effort to get aid to the people devasted by the earthquake. I am kind of upset. We didn't rush right down to New Orleans now did we? Why is it always someone else than our own people that we take care of?

Isabelle Warwicke
01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I received this email this morning. It's not directly related to the earthquake victims (to whom my heart goes out.) However, the point of it is valid. You should see the pictures that went along with it. I am not sending money to Haiti. My neighbor had a branch fall through the roof of his house, I'll be outside helping him recover instead.

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan after a severe snow storm ...
The Mining Journal,Marquette, MI
WEATHER BULLETIN
Up here in the Northern part of Michigan we just recovered from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.
FYI:
Obama did not come.
FEMA did nothing.
No one howled for the government.
No one blamed the government.
No one even uttered an expletive on TV.
Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.
Our Mayor's did not blame Obama or anyone else.
Our Governor did not blame Obama or anyone else either.
CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC did not visit - or even report on this category 5 snow storm.

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.
No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.
No one looted.
Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.
Nobody expected the government to do anything either.
No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.
No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand,
No Brad Pitts, No Hollywood types to be found.
Nope, we just melted the snow for water.
Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.
The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.
Local restaurants made food, and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snow bound families..
Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.
We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.
We put on an extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".
We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.
Even though a Category 5 blizzard of this scale is not usual, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.
I hope this gets passed on.
Maybe .....
SOME people will get the message ......
The world does Not owe you a living.

Lady Sarah
01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Not one penny of my money's going to be sent to Haiti. I'm sure my taxes will be sent down there for relief, and that's not my choice.

I'd much rather see the money spent domestically. I'm sick of helping everyone else in the world when our own need help just as much, if not more.

surlywench
01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
"NBC, msnbc.com and news services
updated 39 minutes ago
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Death was everywhere Wednesday in this devastated city of 2 million. Bodies of tiny children were piled next to schools. Corpses of women lay on the street with stunned expressions frozen on their faces as flies began to gather. Bodies of men were covered with plastic tarps or cotton sheets.

Moreover, untold numbers were still trapped after a powerful earthquake Tuesday crushed thousands of structures from schools and shacks to the National Palace and the local U.N. headquarters.

As nations around the world mobilized to send help, Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive told Reuters that he believed the casualties would be "in the range of thousands of dead."

-------------------------------------

Hopefully we have learned from Katrina. Hopefully, the NEXT time a city is threatened, people will evacuate sooner, and the mechanisms to provide shelter and food to those who have no family will run smoother. If there is no warning for "the big one" that seismologists keep saying will one day hit LA or San Fran, or the fault line under the east coast suddenly jerks to life - well, I hope that aide will come from other states and counties, other cities and countries if need be.

But, it's your money, spend it where you choose to. Relieve suffering where you choose to. God knows there's more than enough of it in every country to go around.

Phoenix McHeit
01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Isabelle, I'm not arguing the thought behind the email... but I thought you should know, it's not accurate.

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/soapbox/snowfall.asp

I personally want my money to go to helping US families, from US tragedies.

Ysobelle
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
There are thousands dead. Thousands homeless. I'll worry about the politics later. Maybe. I just sent $20 the Red Cross International Fund, and when someone in the US needs help, I'll help then, too.

Thistle
01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
It doesn't matter if the tragedy is here or somewhere else. People need help. People are dying. Yes, I'd rather the money stayed here, but I am a citizen of the Earth. Not just the US, not just Colorado, not just Larkspur.

We have trouble here, too. That does not mean we're incapable of feeling compassion for those elsewhere. That said- its your money. Spend it where you will.

But thinking other people didn't care about us when 9/11 happened, or Katrina happened, or Frances, or Jean or Wilma is inaccurate. And refusing to help people in need because you feel put-out about responses to Katrina or whatnot, comes across as petty and mean-spirited.

Mylilpinkpig
01-13-2010, 05:24 PM
It's not just Hatian's who were injured and killed in the earthquake. The last I heard on CNN, the US embassy was not able to locate all their employees. The United Nations also has missing employees. I believe there are other Americans missing too. I have no problem sending aid to Haiti to help the missing Americans and anyone else who needs it.
My feeling is if there are humans suffering in this world and I can help in anyway, then I help. I don't care about their race, religion, nationality. They are fellow humans in need. I guess its that whole " Do onto others as you would want them to do to you" thing. If people I loved where suffering I would want someone to help them so I help others.

Selena
01-13-2010, 05:54 PM
" Do onto others as you would want them to do to you" thing. If people I loved where suffering I would want someone to help them so I help others.

Tell that to fucktard Pat Robertson (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/13/crimesider/entry6092717.shtml). What a dumbass hypocrite. :unamused:

Thistle
01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Tell that to fucktard Pat Robertson (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/13/crimesider/entry6092717.shtml). What a dumbass hypocrite. :unamused:

That's what we need to do: get everyone who donates money to Robertson and others who preach solely to make money so they can "spread the word" to donate to legitimate charities instead.

Maybe then he'll learn a little compassion. Or not.

Meanwhile, they are asking for other things besides money. The Red Cross often needs blood donations, water, blankets and time. If nothing else, time might be donate-able. Even as little as a couple hours a week helps http://www.redcross.org/donate/volunteer/ and since they are not asking for people to go to Haiti, every hour you spend locally helps here at home!

Roberto Phoenix
01-13-2010, 07:57 PM
I would love to help, really. I wouldn't mind driving down and lending a hand but unfortunatly my car was repossesed last week and today my work place went down to a four day work week.
Sorry Haiti, I've got to get the beam out of my own eye first. I'll throw something in the collection plate for you.

Gemdrite
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
According to the radio news who was talking about ways to help in Haiti, there are some 45,000 American citizens living in Haiti. I highly doubt NONE of them were affected by this earthquake. So if it soothes anyone's conscience about helping another country, send your money with the thought that it's helping some of those 45,000.

Phoenix McHeit
01-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to the victims of this tragedy. I just prefer to keep my voluntary donations here.

But don't worry - like Sarah said, my taxes will go to Haiti all by themselves.

surlywench
01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
According to the radio news who was talking about ways to help in Haiti, there are some 45,000 American citizens living in Haiti. I highly doubt NONE of them were affected by this earthquake. So if it soothes anyone's conscience about helping another country, send your money with the thought that it's helping some of those 45,000.

My friend's list on facebook has had quite a few people frantic to get word from family members and friends in Haiti. Could you imagine? Wondering if someone you love is trapped and dying under a building? Bleeding or starving slowly to death over the days as you sit unable to DO anything?

I cannot fathom what they must be going through. Any of them. So I do what I can. Send what help I can and my prayers.

LdyJhawk
01-14-2010, 01:33 AM
You know..it's sad. People begrudging aid to desperate people. We can sit in our homes, with our internet and computers and complain about how our tax dollars are going to those people..

and in the end, god forbid right? Tax dollars going to help people who have been the victim of a tragedy that has killed over 100,000 people. I suppose since this is America.. killed more than 33x the deaths in the world trade center tragedy. Families destroyed. Homes gone. Basic necessities gone. There isn't even enough by way of medical supplies and emergency relief.

If this were New Orleans again (and god what a cluster fuck THAT was) I'd hope people would be generous. Yes, Americans need our help as well.. but in the end there are places that can provide that aid to them in the short term. They don't even have that in Haiti right now.

Isabelle Warwicke
01-14-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm not begrudging anyone aid. My tax dollars are already at work doing just that. I give blood, I donate blankets, clothing and dry goods year round and I give money to several charities that are too numerous to list currently. I also donate time at different local programs that aids soldiers, homeless, hungry, ill, disabled, injured and infirm and yes, when the rare occasion happens locally that I can give manpower too, you'll see me right up there clearing branches with a chainsaw, loading and stacking sandbags, driving supplies into areas that have none and driving equipment to move earth and snow.

I'm not in Haiti and my best efforts are sweat-equity. I can't give that in this case.

Phoenix McHeit
01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm not begrudging anyone aid. My tax dollars are already at work doing just that. I give blood, I donate blankets, clothing and dry goods year round and I give money to several charities that are too numerous to list currently.

This.

Y'know, my mother is the only entity with the power to make me do something out of guilt. The media can't, those emails promising dire consequences can't, and the Wench Board opinions can't.

There are a multitude of charities available. I choose some and not others. We all make that choice, every day. No one can give to every single charity out there, so yes, even (general) you make a choice to not send to somewhere. I'm not asking you why you choose not to donate to, for example, Doctors without Borders, or United Against Puppy Mills, or Habitat for Humanity, or World Wildlife Fund, or, or, or...now am I?

Please refrain from acting morally superior because I chose to post my decision on here. You have no idea what I donate, to whom or how often. Kthx.

Gemdrite
01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I hope no one thought I was trying to guilt trip them into making donations to Haiti. Phee's right, your money is your money, and you have every right to do what you wish with it. I was simply trying to point out that for those who were saying they wanted their money to help Americans, there are Americans in Haiti who need help. That's all. I personally am in the same boat as Isa. What I can afford to give is my time and labor, and I can't give that to Haiti. So I give them my prayers.

Mylilpinkpig
01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Let's not forget that not everyone is able to make financial donations either. I can, so I do but I would never expect someone struggling to put food on the table for their kids to sacrifice that money to send to haiti. Who you donate to is a personal choice but our government stepping in to help is another matter. No one can deny that the US special forces stepping in to control the airport and restore its functioning so aid planes from all over the world can land is a good thing. They did an amazing job running an airport with radios instead of air traffic control and I am very proud that our country did that.

Phoenix McHeit
01-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Also, for those of you who wish to, you can text the word 'Haiti' to 90999 and that donates $10.00 per text, billed to your next phone bill.

Same with texting 'Yele' to 501501 - makes a $5.00 donation to Wyclef Jean's favorite "Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund", also billed to your phone bill.

Snopes verified: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/haiti.asp

Bean
01-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Supposedly the 90999 one has raised about $3 million so far.

surlywench
01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Clinton Foundation has links to several aid charities, here.

http://www.clintonfoundation.org/haitiearthquake/

Ysobelle
01-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I just posted to my LJ, and my Twitter: for the next two weeks, I'll be making a corset in the Haitian national colours of red and blue. Corsets are $360 or $460. Depending on the corset, that's $300 or $400 to the Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders, so I'm essentially doing it at cost. if you have another reputable charity, I'm happy to send money to them. I may not have the skill set to build a house, but this, at least, I can do.

I also suggested to the owner of the company for which I work part time, Fire & Ice, that we donate money for every piece of Caribbean amber we sell. Turns out the home office folks had already been thinking about it, and trying to figure out what we could do. They loved my idea, and are going to see what they can put together. http://www.fireandice.com/ is our site; I'll let you know if it happens.

I'd suggest taking a look at the http://doctorswithoutborders.org/ site. They're already well-established in Haiti, and doing incredible work.

Thistle
01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Sadly, of the Doctors without Borders folks that were in Haiti BEFORE the earthquake struck (helping stop the spread of the TB epidemic there) several are now missing. Hopefully its just a lack of being able to report in, and not something more dire.

Bean
01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Yso, why don't you auction the corset off? Maybe you could get more for it.

Ysobelle
01-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Yso, why don't you auction the corset off? Maybe you could get more for it.

I'd thought about it, but I'm so completely slammed right now that if I try to set that up, I'll never get it done. Besides, if just two people order corsets, I'll probably raise more than I would with an auction. I auctioned one off for tsunami relief, and while someone got a bit of a bargain, the Red Cross didn't get as much as I'd hoped. So I figured I'd see if this worked any better.

LdyJhawk
01-14-2010, 09:15 PM
I think my concern comes from people who are not donating not because they have other charities or because they would rather give time.. but simply because they're not americans in need.

That honestly boggles my mind.

surlywench
01-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I think my concern comes from people who are not donating not because they have other charities or because they would rather give time.. but simply because they're not americans in need.

That honestly boggles my mind.

This.

letitfly
01-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi,

It is not as if the US has no history with Haiti. We have invaded the island many times, propped up Duvalier and other thugs many times to keep the island safe as a supply of cheap labor for US manufacturers. Much of Haiti's money goes to pay interest to Citibank for loans made to help Duvalier suppress the people.
Throughout the 20th century, we have occupied the island and controlled the government and forced them to accept a constitution that was written to protect US industries. Even now we train and arm Haitian insurgents, led in part by the commander of a Duvalier death squad, on the Dominican border.

We helped create the mess Haiti is in and long profited from their enforced cheap labor. We can and should send them tax dollars.

France is far more culpable but we are far from innocent.

Steve

daBaroness
01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Here's the thing ... Americans are the most charitable people on the face of the planet. Not only do we donate our time, talents and financial resources of our own free will, a huge portion of our tax dollars goes to foreign aid to just about every country on Earth. We don't have a say in where our tax dollars go - and many, many times that so-called "aid" is used by black box ops in very covert activies none of us would condone if we knew the truth. People get upset (and rightly so) that we send trillions of our citizens' hard-earned money overseas for very political, not humanitarian causes when our own citizens find themselves in dire straits. Our money has gone to private banks to pay their executives' bonuses while at the same time they jack up rates on everything from checking accounts to the APR on loans and credit cards (see BOA Rant thread).

I dare if it weren't for all the political espionage and buying the favor of dirty politicians all over the globe (Saudia Arabia, Afganistan, Haiti, Chile, Kosovo ad nauseum) we'd have more than enough in our "public" coffers to take care of the poor, sick and elderly in our own country and the majority of the world as well. If those truly in power in the world today weren't the power-hungry, sadistic manipulative bastards they are - we could truly turn our swords into plowshares.

But that's not what those in power want. As long as they can set us one against the other and perpetuating the have and have-not system of control that's been in place forever, then there's no hope that we'll ever be able to come together and use our soldiers to help people in need rather than killing people in need.

I prefer giving of my own free will to causes I believe in and where I hope my resources will do the most good for the greatest amount of people. Unfortunately - what would be my disposable income in a more perfect world is taken right off the top of my paycheck before I see a dime of it and distributed in the way politicians and other "legal" criminals see fit. It's an absolute fact that private organizations do much more with much less while money the government takes from us is squandered without thought based on a beauty/power contest.

So for me ... prayers are all I have to give, but they're far more powerful than any covert, corrupt or ignorant government could ever allocate.

Hi,

It is not as if the US has no history with Haiti. We have invaded the island many times, propped up Duvalier and other thugs many times to keep the island safe as a supply of cheap labor for US manufacturers. Much of Haiti's money goes to pay interest to Citibank for loans made to help Duvalier suppress the people.
Throughout the 20th century, we have occupied the island and controlled the government and forced them to accept a constitution that was written to protect US industries. Even now we train and arm Haitian insurgents, led in part by the commander of a Duvalier death squad, on the Dominican border.

We helped create the mess Haiti is in and long profited from their enforced cheap labor. We can and should send them tax dollars.

France is far more culpable but we are far from innocent.

Steve

Mermaid
01-19-2010, 12:11 AM
I've donated to Doctors Without Borders for Haiti, and have donated to them in the past. I will continue to donate to them whenever I am able. I'm a citizen of the world before I am a citizen of the US. I've been in third world countries, and people in Haiti who had nothing now are faced with death by starvation and/or dehydration. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do what I could. A good friend who is a doctor has dropped everything in his life to go to Haiti for Doctors Without Borders. I am prouder of him than I can say, even while I worry about him.

Roberto Phoenix
01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Well it turns out Pat Robertson ws wroong. It wsn't a deal with the devil that caused Hahti's earthquake-according to Chevez it was us!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583588,00.html

I keep hoping for rational leaders in the world but.....