PDA

View Full Version : ACORN sting "pimp" arrested while trying to wiretap Senator's office

Cyranno DeBoberac
01-26-2010, 07:58 PM
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/01/acorn_gotcha_man_arrested_for.html

Alleging a plot to tamper with phones in Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu's office in the Hale Boggs Federal Building in downtown New Orleans, the FBI arrested four people Monday, including James O'Keefe, 25, a conservative filmmaker whose undercover videos at ACORN field offices severely damaged the advocacy group's credibility.

Also arrested were Joseph Basel, Stan Dai and Robert Flanagan, all 24. Flanagan is the son of William Flanagan, who is the acting U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Louisiana, the office confirmed. All four were charged with entering federal property under false pretenses with the intent of committing a felony.

Quick Robin! To the ROFLCopter!

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8801/roflcopterm.gif

But hey, it's not fair to persecute him for attempting to wiretap and record conversations over a Senator's phone, he just wants his country back.

I understand Toby Keith is already writing a song to protest this partiot's unjust incarceration. The chorus goes like this:

Freedom isn't free
You gotta commit felonies!

*rotfl* *rotfl* *rotfl*

Kathryn Blakeley
01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
The ROFLCopter is hysterical!

Cyranno DeBoberac
01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I wonder how the news is going to affect House Resolution 809: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hr111-809

*rotfl*

Betty Munro
01-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Now really, what kind of country do you think this would be if it was acceptable to listen in on the telephone conversations of a public official in his government owned office?
Oh my gosh, what an idea ...

Cyranno DeBoberac
01-28-2010, 12:33 AM
thank you for posting this. I was wondering when their demons would catch up to them.

You're welcome.

Oh... wait...

Isabelle Warwicke
01-28-2010, 02:25 AM
You're welcome.

Oh... wait...

I have a spanking over here with your name on it.

You may not dredge old politi-posts to poke me with.

Cyranno DeBoberac
01-28-2010, 03:07 AM
I have a spanking over here with your name on it.

Don't tease me! :wink:

You may not dredge old politi-posts to poke me with.

I was just wondering why you weren't wondering.

Gellis Indigo
01-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Wow Bob, for a place where we aren't supposed to participate in political baiting, your posting of an old quote from a different thread sure smells fishy to me.

Torra
01-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Wow Bob, for a place where we aren't supposed to participate in political baiting, your posting of an old quote from a different thread sure smells fishy to me.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Gellis Indigo again.

I agree. Bob, you could have at the very least posted the link from the old thread so her statement could be seen in context.

Phoenix McHeit
01-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Bob, you could have at the very least posted the link from the old thread so her statement could be seen in context.

That's what the little blue arrow by the quoted person's name is for. It's the hyperlink to the original post.

Bob , Dude - gloating is never attractive.

Gemdrite
01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
That's what the little blue arrow by the quoted person's name is for. It's the hyperlink to the original post.
Completely thread-jacking, but wow, I honest to God never knew that. Tankies, Phee! I learnded something new today! :D

Isabelle Warwicke
01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
I was just wondering why you weren't wondering.

And here is my answer, you little squint. I wonder if you don't copy paste those into a file for future use. I'm the token conservative on the boards, I'm used to being baited by you. You are good natured about it, usually, and with that I can live.

O'Keefe uncovered some corruption in certain ACORN offices with his undercover pimp videos. I'm glad he found that info. What he did then was not illegal and exposed corruption to light. I'm not faulting him for that. It's sad that he took his crusade across legal and ethical boundaries in this case. He should have just stuck to videos. He broke the law and he got caught. He gets to pay the price. Fair is fair.

I also stole your ROFLcopter for my own purposes.

Phoenix McHeit
01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Completely thread-jacking, but wow, I honest to God never knew that. Tankies, Phee! I learnded something new today! :D

Yer welx hun. I found out quite by accident one day. :lol:

Torra
01-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Bob , Dude - gloating is never attractive.

I am completely in the same boat as Gem...I never knew that! Way useful for future reference. Thanks!

Isabelle, that was well-stated. Someone doing one thing illegal doesn't automatically make them completely ignominious and cast a pall over all their deeds in the past that were done on the right side of the law. It just means they did something illegal, for which they should be punished, and that everyone is fallible.

Gellis Indigo
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm the token conservative on the boards

Ahem.

:hi:

You are not alone, my dear. Always remember that. ;-)

Gemdrite
01-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Ahem.

:hi:

You are not alone, my dear. Always remember that. ;-)
The conservatives say I'm too liberal, and the liberals say I'm too conservative, but I think I fall on the conservative side most often anyways. I just save all my debating for the religion threads, lol. Let someone else take the politics! They make my head hurtz! :smile:

So do parent teacher conferences...oi. But that's a whole new thread about irresponsibility and boundaries, lol.

Isabelle Warwicke
01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Ahem.

I know I'm not alone. I know you are here with me. I'm just pretty vocal about it, and therefore Bob's favorite political chew-toy.

It was your old thread, but my quote.

Torra
01-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I know I'm not alone. I know you are here with me. I'm just pretty vocal about it, and therefore Bob's favorite political chew-toy.

It was your old thread, but my quote.

I fall on the conservative side of most things, but really Isabelle, you do the political debate thing far better than I so I leave you to it.

Everyone loves a chew toy that bites back, doncha know?

Cyranno DeBoberac
01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
I wonder if you don't copy paste those into a file for future use.
No, I just have an annoyingly (to me) good memory. Some stuff just sticks in there, including stuff that I wish wouldn't. People talk about repressed traumatic memories... given the stuff I can't forget, I can only imagine with horror what I'm not remembering.

I also stole your ROFLcopter for my own purposes.

Wasn't mine, it belongs to teh interweb tubes, but enjoy!

Cyranno DeBoberac
01-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Someone doing one thing illegal doesn't automatically make them completely ignominious and cast a pall over all their deeds in the past that were done on the right side of the law. It just means they did something illegal, for which they should be punished, and that everyone is fallible.

Well said.

That probably could have bore mentioning back when everyone was wetting themselves with glee over the undercover pimp videos. :wink:

Cyranno DeBoberac
01-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Some other things worth mentioning that were probably overlooked the first time around:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/columnists/louis/index.html

The gullible reporters and TV producers who breathlessly parroted O'Keefe's wild, demonstrably false claims in the matter of ACORN should review their coverage in light of the recent arrest, and finally ask questions that should have been posed last year.

Hardly anybody has reported that O'Keefe's attack on ACORN turned out to be legal gossamer. Despite the lurid video and hysterical charges of ACORN lawbreaking, there were no arrests or indictments, no evidence that any of the nitwits featured on the videos ever completed or filed illegal paperwork.

The only illegal behavior, in fact, may have been O'Keefe's violation of anti-wiretapping laws.

Only a few news outlets have noted that O'Keefe did not wear the outlandish pimp outfit into every ACORN office; in some cases, he spliced footage of himself into the finished product to make it look that way. And of course, neither O'Keefe nor his boss, conservative media entrepreneur Andrew Breitbart of BigGovernment.com, has ever released the full, unedited videos.

Even the political goal of the ACORN hit job - getting Congress to pass a law stripping the group of federal funding - was struck down as unconstitutional by a federal judge within weeks. Once again, scant coverage.

The item in red is particularly noteworthy, as a response to:

What he did then was not illegal

The wire-tapping referred to there is not a reference to what he may have been doing recently in the Senator's office, it's a reference to the illicit recording of conversations without the knowledge or consent of all parties that he engaged in during his so-called sting operation, which was not legal in one or more of the cities he operated in.

In addition to the undisputed fact that he misrepresented the fact that he was wildly dressed as a pimp in all those encounters, there's also a suggestion that some of the dialogue in the released videos was dubbed in such that the questions and statements that the staffers were appearing to respond to were not the actual questions and statements being made by the "pimp". Since they refuse to release the original recordings, only their edited versions, we can't know what the truth actually was.

So would any of that be enough to cast an ignominious pall over his past deeds?

RichardMacHugely
02-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Some other things worth mentioning that were probably overlooked the first time around:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/columnists/louis/index.html

The gullible reporters and TV producers who breathlessly parroted O'Keefe's wild, demonstrably false claims in the matter of ACORN should review their coverage in light of the recent arrest, and finally ask questions that should have been posed last year.

Hardly anybody has reported that O'Keefe's attack on ACORN turned out to be legal gossamer. Despite the lurid video and hysterical charges of ACORN lawbreaking, there were no arrests or indictments, no evidence that any of the nitwits featured on the videos ever completed or filed illegal paperwork.

The only illegal behavior, in fact, may have been O'Keefe's violation of anti-wiretapping laws.

Only a few news outlets have noted that O'Keefe did not wear the outlandish pimp outfit into every ACORN office; in some cases, he spliced footage of himself into the finished product to make it look that way. And of course, neither O'Keefe nor his boss, conservative media entrepreneur Andrew Breitbart of BigGovernment.com, has ever released the full, unedited videos.

Even the political goal of the ACORN hit job - getting Congress to pass a law stripping the group of federal funding - was struck down as unconstitutional by a federal judge within weeks. Once again, scant coverage.

The item in red is particularly noteworthy, as a response to:

The wire-tapping referred to there is not a reference to what he may have been doing recently in the Senator's office, it's a reference to the illicit recording of conversations without the knowledge or consent of all parties that he engaged in during his so-called sting operation, which was not legal in one or more of the cities he operated in.

In addition to the undisputed fact that he misrepresented the fact that he was wildly dressed as a pimp in all those encounters, there's also a suggestion that some of the dialogue in the released videos was dubbed in such that the questions and statements that the staffers were appearing to respond to were not the actual questions and statements being made by the "pimp". Since they refuse to release the original recordings, only their edited versions, we can't know what the truth actually was.

So would any of that be enough to cast an ignominious pall over his past deeds?

Nor did Mr. O'Keefe include video from the ACORN offices that either ejected him from the premises or called the cops on him, but his heavily-edited, dubbed, and at least partially FAKED video is still rea meat to the Fox News crowd, and one wonders WHY? Why would a rich white kid like O'Keefe and his overwhelmingly white conservative fanbase be so eager to use dirty underhanded tricks to destroy a grass-roots organization that concerns itself mostly with getting inner city black folks counted in the census and out to the voting booth?

Oh.

Nevermind.